5G and FCC eyeing 12 GHz sat bands...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Found the story for a grain of salt...

Here's the link...

Little concerned that might add more QRM to FTA satellite bands.:rolleyes::hatsoff

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Found the story for a grain of salt...

Here's the link...

Little concerned that might add more QRM to FTA satellite bands.:rolleyes::hatsoff

Yep, looks like their looking to 'acquire' (a polite term) more satellite bandwidth. I love the mention of needing to identify harmful interference so they can do it safely before proceding. Yeah, like they verified 5G on C band wouldn't cause harmful interference to airplane systems. Will Titanium need to build a new ku lnbf that filters out these new 5G additions to the band. Time will tell I guess. :(

Reactions: N5XZS
I'm puzzled that Dish chose to be a primary sponsor of this. Perhaps they are gambling that their largely rural customer base won't be affected by 12 GHz 5G towers which would presumably be in cities? Or perhaps they think they can cram all their pay TV channels under 12 GHz?

I can see why AT&T would oppose, as DirecTV seems to have a more vested interest in metro subscribers with their Sunday Ticket and near-ubiquitous presence in bars and hotels.

So does that mean FTA Ku users will have to build faraday cages around their dishes like the C-band users do because their filters won't protect 100% against terrestrial 5G? I can see FTA users posting multiple threads of faraday cages for this dish or that dish. I used to want to invest in FTA hardware, but seeing that the FCC wants to cash out on bandwidth and kill satellite reception for hobbyists, I guess it's a good thing I never started. If they allow such a thing to happen, I'm sure that they'll allow some exclusion zones for the big cable companies and satellite companies to operate without interference. Some legal issues like, "AT&T, Verizon, etc., are prohibited from placing a 12GHz tower in this region to avoid interference with Comcast's Ku downlinks."

In North America, the 12ghz band is DBS, not FSS band. This is not a proposal that would inpact FTA hobbyists.

As Dish Network and DirecTV subscriber numbers drop, the subscription services are likely looking to find new revenue streams. Add to that, Charlie Ergen holds sigificant terrestial bandwidth and this would likely benefit his other interests.

In North America, the 12ghz band is DBS, not FSS band. This is not a proposal that would inpact FTA hobbyists.

As Dish Network and DirecTV subscriber numbers drop, the subscription services are likely looking to find new revenue streams. Add to that, Charlie Ergen holds sigificant terrestial bandwidth and this would likely benefit his other interests.

Very good news! Thanks for clearing that up. :D

Reactions: TNGuy84 and N5XZS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts