5G interference solutions

I "received" my 5G Titanium LNBF from Amazon today. Only problem is that there's no LNBF in the box, only the scaler and some hardware. It was poorly packaged also. The box had some damage also.
Weird. Amazon was suppose to send me a replacement but the order got cancelled as "undeliverable". No details given as to why.

Ordered from Titanium just a few minutes ago. I might order another one if it improves reception on the one antenna.
Just remember that when you install it, do NOT have the coax powered when you swap it over. Yes, I know you likely won't, but can't hurt to mention that. No use taking a chance. That can for sure be the kiss of death to Diseqc switches.

Just remember that when you install it, do NOT have the coax powered when you swap it over. Yes, I know you likely won't, but can't hurt to mention that. No use taking a chance. That can for sure be the kiss of death to Diseqc switches.
My 2 C band antennas are on different osmio4k boxes. I haven't used a diseqc switch since I took down the 1.2m Ku dish. Anyway, some people have stated that they swapped LNBFs while powered but it's "better" to have them un-powered.

Reactions: primestar31
I am experiencing a random problem with both C Band and KU becoming pixelated at times. I don't have any 5G close to me that I can find. Closest possibility is to the left of my part of the arc. I would think it might be an adjacent carrier firing up with a strong uplink signal. But that doesn't explain the KU probem . The problems only affect the MeTv mux on 101W and the COZI Tv carrier on 103 KU. When it does happen it does so often and always during the Emergency! time slot on KU and at roughly the same time slot on C Band. I know the power company has a bad arrestor on the pot that serves my home but I can't see it causing this sort of problem. I think my HP Service Monitor's spectrum analyzer will handle the C Band LO frequency so it looks like it's time for a hunt! I'm guessing 5G would look much the same but I don't have a 5G phone so I can't swear to anything except there is absolutely NO cell service at home regardless :) Some good info in this thread!
Regards,
Wayne
I think you are guessing correctly with regard to the source of the interference not being 5G. When I see 5G on my SDR it is fairly consistent all the time. There is a constant stream of spikes -- maybe a few every second at the same frequency.

Reactions: Bassplayer 1964
Turns out that my osmio4k has bit the dust. I'd like to get another but it looks like I'll have to buy an osmio4k+. Where's the best place to buy?

Right here, Hyper took over Brian's stock, and made a deal with Edision: Edision OS MIO+ 4K S2X + S2/T2/C Grey

But what's wrong with your old one?
The LNBF voltage is fluctuating and sometimes I can't get a picture or even a signal strength indication. The LNBF voltage from the mio completely disappears at times. Connecting my XR3 directly to the cable and powering the LNBF with the XR3 gives me a solid C/N of 16 dB but still no picture from the mio. Could be a power supply issue. I don't know if it's repairable but I don't waste my time without a schematic. I really didn't want the plus but if that's all that is available, I'll place an order in the morning.

The LNBF voltage is fluctuating and sometimes I can't get a picture or even a signal strength indication. The LNBF voltage from the mio completely disappears at times. Connecting my XR3 directly to the cable and powering the LNBF with the XR3 gives me a solid C/N of 16 dB but still no picture from the mio. Could be a power supply issue. I don't know if it's repairable but I don't waste my time without a schematic. I really didn't want the plus but if that's all that is available, I'll place an order in the morning.
Have you tried a new power brick on your old MIO?

Reactions: N6BY and FTA4PA
I think you are guessing correctly with regard to the source of the interference not being 5G. When I see 5G on my SDR it is fairly consistent all the time. There is a constant stream of spikes -- maybe a few every second at the same frequency.
I didn't feel I was close enough to any 5 G sites and especially not directly in line with any. I haven't had a chance to snoop around for the source of what's getting into my dishes but it has slacked off some from what was happening. All of a sudden I'm getting all sorts of interference here even on some frequencies I monitor on my scanner. Looks like it's time to get in tracking mode here before I can't receive anything :)

I didn't feel I was close enough to any 5 G sites and especially not directly in line with any. I haven't had a chance to snoop around for the source of what's getting into my dishes but it has slacked off some from what was happening. All of a sudden I'm getting all sorts of interference here even on some frequencies I monitor on my scanner. Looks like it's time to get in tracking mode here before I can't receive anything :)
Check your cabling all the way to the LNBF. In fact, if you were ME, I'd run a brand new coax all the way to the LNBF directly from the receiver, NO SWITCHES, and see if that interference goes away. IF SO, then you know it's something in the old coax cable, and maybe can track it down.

Thanks for the tips! Lately I've had more interference on more equipment than Ive had ever! I have it on numerous channels in the 155 mhz band on my scanner along with my C Band dish at times and even on my VHF repeater on 152 Mhz.. Don't know yet what it is but it's sure a broad banded something ! I just installed a new KU system just down the road with an Amiko receiver and I've not heard any complaints...yet Just started working on some of the bugs and sniffing it out with a portable has shown all sorts of hot spots. Honestly I'm leaning toward the TELCO trunk and fiber which runs over my home oddly enough for the radio problems. This one is beginning to look challenging

I must still have 5G issues in my area but it seems to be problematic in the evening. I don't know why it would be just a night time problem but both of my C-band antennas are experiencing this issue - one has a standard LNBF and the other has a 5G filtered LNBF. Different receivers for each antenna. I'm reasonably sure that it isn't a hardware failure unless one wants to claim that the 5G filtered LNBF is inadequate for the job. Right now I'm watching a program on 103W but later I expect it to start breaking up. My XR3 shows wide variations in C/N at night, also, with peaks at 15 dB.

Wow. I sure have a lot of problems. During daylight hours I have a lot of pixelation or freeze frames. At night everything is fine. I can't seem to find an obvious problem. If it were a 5G issue I would expect problems day and night. I installed a Titanium 5G filtered LNBF on one antenna and still have issues. Cabling and grounding is as good as it has always been. I haven't replaced the osmio yet but I did replace the power brick. Frustrating having to "shotgun" the problem.