5LNB Feed to two locations (Same house)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davemartin88

Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Hi, new to the forum.

Our house has two sections connected by a breezeway but really are two separate buildings. We have a 5 LNB dish on one area where we have an HD DVR and all HD channels work fine- local mpeg 4 over the dish as well as the HD package and NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice. There are two feeds in to the receiver and all works well.

For the other section of the house, there are two feeds as well going in to a multiswitch but we recently added an HD receiver in that part of the house and the only HD channels we can receive are the local channels- we receive other programming fine as well, but not all the additional HD channels.

I'm assuming that somehow, the two feeds we are getting are only supporting a subset of the satellites- although at one point I moved the feeds around and received some of the HD programming (HDNET) but lost other channels?

I didn't do the installation but trying to understand how I can get all the channels in one area with only two feeds but not in the other part of the house? I'm guessing there may have been splitters used in the original install to separate the two feeds going to a portion of the house that didn't have HD before being combined at the dish but does that seem reasonable?

Could a wide band type of splitter in the line feeding the area that does receive all HD programming be used to get the HD feed to the other area?

May just be time to start over, bring all the feeds to a single point and then use a 6X16 multiswitch but hoping there is a more simple answer?

I'm sure this is thoroughly confusing but tried to search a bit and really couldn't even figure out the terms to use? I also tried to search for a listing to show what programming is on what satellite but again, my search capabilities appear to be a bit weak?

Thanks!

I'm not sure I totally understand your question but to get a satellite feed to the second HDTV you need to run at least 1 cable from the 5 LNB dish to a H20 satellite receiver at that TV.

I'm not sure I totally understand your question but to get a satellite feed to the second HDTV you need to run at least 1 cable from the 5 LNB dish to a H20 satellite receiver at that TV.

There are two cables from the dish to a multiswitch (Zinwell WB68) on the input side, then two outputs the to the receiver. I'm receiving some programming from each cable, but not getting all the HD channels?

Thanks.

The switch is the correct one, but it requires all four lines from the dish to be connected to its inputs in order to pass all channels from the dish.

Yep, it needs all 4 cables from the dish to it's inputs.

So my suggestion is to put the switch in a more central location with the 4 feeds from the dish to it. Then from it you have 8 outputs that can be run to various parts of your house.

The reason for this is it needs 13 and 18 volts standard, and 13 and 18 volts 22khz.......the high def is fed by 22khz..........also you can only use a 6x8 with ka/ku, not standard 4x8........you can put the 6x8 at the dish mount location and then feed your two to one building, and two to the other.........you just have to bring down four lines from ka/ku dish and feed all four in ports on ms..........

Okay, thanks. May have to purchase a 6X16 switch since right now, I'm using 10 total outputs, 2 from one area (a home theater) and 8 in the other section in various rooms. Was hoping to find an easy way to not have to rewire but probably time to do it right!

thanks everyone for helping, I was trying to get back to this thread, just a crazy day today :) dave let us know if there is anything else you need, stop in and see us every once in a while too this is a great place to be.

You could use four high frequency splitters on the dish outputs to feed two 6x8 switches, if this makes your wiring situation more manageable. Note: this is the only situation that you can use splitters with sat signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)