6/10/2009 12:44pm - Uplink Activity Report - 109 changes

Why (NA)

Hi,

Does anyone know why the Syracuse WTVH is listed as NA. I assume that is means not available...why delay the launch of the HD feed?

Thanks,

CD

Channel Additions:
5170(13) - WZZM [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 13 Spotbeam 22 (A) (H)(Grand Rapids, MI-ABC)
5172(8) - WOOD [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 13 Spotbeam 22 (A) (H)(Grand Rapids, MI-NBC)
5173(17) - WXMI [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 13 Spotbeam 22 (A) (H)(Grand Rapids, MI-FOX)
5174(41) - WOTV [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 13 Spotbeam 22 (A) (H)(Battle Creek, MI-ABC)

So here is my question: What happened to WWMT Channel 3, the CBS affiliate out of Kalamazoo (same market as the above stations)? How did they get missed in all this?

WWMT's parent company Freedom Communications wants to up-charge Dish Network for Dish's retransmission of WWMT HD. Dish won't pay the extra amount Freedom wants, so no WWMT HD.

WWMT's parent company Freedom Communications wants to up-charge Dish Network for Dish's retransmission of WWMT HD. Dish won't pay the extra amount Freedom wants, so no WWMT HD.

So on Saturday, go to MyDistantNetworks.com and fix your problem of missing a local.

I wonder why the VA Beach area locals are still on 129? Just for people who can't see 61.5?
[FONT=&quot]They put Virginia Beach on 129, Charlottesville on 129, and Richmond on 61.5. Go figure. There are a lot of us in the C’ville area that can’t get 129, so we are SOL. I get OTA from C’ville and Richmond, so it isn’t critical that I get locals from E*, but I would like my viewing life to be simpler, and it would be that way if I could get the guide, which obviously I can’t. [/FONT]:mad:

Lubbock might be spotbeam 47.

We are on the yellow ring of spotbeam 47 on the spotbeam map in The List.

Midland Odessa is on TP1 SB47. My signal on TP1 off 129 is about 16-17 in yellow with occasional "jumps" to 18 turning green for a fraction of a second.

My dish was peaked for the old 129 satellite and I get very good signal strengths on all the conus beams (high 50's to 60's).

We are on the yellow ring of spotbeam 47 on the spotbeam map in The List.

Midland Odessa is on TP1 SB47. My signal on TP1 off 129 is about 16-17 in yellow with occasional "jumps" to 18 turning green for a fraction of a second.

My dish was peaked for the old 129 satellite and I get very good signal strengths on all the conus beams (high 50's to 60's).

What strengths do you get on TP's 1-16? Make sure you only report the ones that show locked 129 and the word Transponder changes to Spotbeam.

So, if I get SD locals through Dish, but Dish doesn't have a spot beam available for Lubbock Texas (at least on 129), Should I be able to qualify for HD locals through AAD beginning Saturday?

Wait and see what AAD posts as its requirements. I'd say the answer to your question will be Yes, but I don't run AAD and don't have access to its lawyers' working papers. :)

What strengths do you get on TP's 1-16? Make sure you only report the ones that show locked 129 and the word Transponder changes to Spotbeam.

I was looking at the odd TP's over noon. Most of the odd ones were about 25-30 until I got to 17 and it was like 58, but I believe it was conus. I believe the even ones were mostly zero.

I'll do a complete work-up and post it when I get home after 5pm today.

In looking at the 129 spots on SatBeams.com, the only nearby ones are Albuquerque, El Paso, Midland/Odessa; Dallas, Oklahomacity and SE Colorado.

The Midland/Odessa spotbeam is the one that comes closest to us but it is very weak.

Perhaps we will eventually get a spot off the new 119 or off of 110 where our SD locals are.

If I remember correctly, I do get a fairly good signal off a 61.5 spotbeam aimed at Dallas.

That is a good question. I am in Rochester, NY and I think that I have a better chance of seeing FIOS in my area before LIL HD from Dish. Although I see that WKBW (ABC in Buffalo) WTVH (CBS in Syracuse) have finally given in and are letting Dish get their HD feeds.

129 spotbeams from Lubbock Texas
Receiver Dish ViP211
Dish: D1000

TP- signal
01-20 - Midland/Odessa spotbeam
03-27 - San Angelo/Sweetwater/Abilene spotbeam
09-28 - Oklahoma City spotbeam
13-21 - Wichita Falls TX spotbeam
14-23 - Tulsa Ok spotbeam
15-23
16-31 - Sherman Ada spotbeam

Each of these TP's locked , found the sat name and indicated it was a spotbeam.

The readings on my 622 are about 3 digits lower than on my 211 even though the cable from my switch is longer to the 211.

Just for reference TP 17 is 57 on my 211.

Last edited:
129 spotbeams from Lubbock Texas
Receiver Dish ViP211
Dish: D1000

TP- signal
01-20
03-27
09-28
13-21
14-23
15-23
16-31

Each of these TP's locked , found the sat name and indicated it was a spotbeam.

The readings on my 622 are about 3 digits lower than on my 211 even though the cable from my switch is longer to the 211.

Just for reference TP 17 is 57 on my 211.

Looks like you're getting these two beams:

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

You might be in this beam on 61.5... (maps not exact on 61.5 due to changes in satellite rotation/tilt)
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 61.5°W

I was looking at the odd TP's over noon. Most of the odd ones were about 25-30 until I got to 17 and it was like 58, but I believe it was conus. I believe the even ones were mostly zero.

I'll do a complete work-up and post it when I get home after 5pm today.

In looking at the 129 spots on SatBeams.com, the only nearby ones are Albuquerque, El Paso, Midland/Odessa; Dallas, Oklahomacity and SE Colorado.

The Midland/Odessa spotbeam is the one that comes closest to us but it is very weak.

Perhaps we will eventually get a spot off the new 119 or off of 110 where our SD locals are.

If I remember correctly, I do get a fairly good signal off a 61.5 spotbeam aimed at Dallas.

110 is full for your area. The E14 at 119 might be your only hope or possibly 61.5 or a larger 129 wing dish....or AAD.

Im getting 45 on TP3 which has the V. Beach locals; Gettin 70's on 19 or 20. Why is that?

Some transponders aren't as hot as others.

I just realized something about my 622.

The cable coming in to it was about 6 ft too long so I had a coil of RG-6 back there about 10 inches in diameter all tied up with twist ties, a beautiful choke coil.

I did not want to cut it off because it has nice compression fittings on both ends and I don't have a compression fitting tool.

I unwound it and spread it out and my signal to the 622 jumped 5 points.

TP1 went from 17 to 22, still too weak for reliable bad weather reception, and all the others jumped 4-5 points also.

Thanks Digi, just wondering why you see some TP's lower than others on the same sat. I Have 40's to 70's on 129, and 70's on 110 and 119

110/119 are always going to higher signal than 129. Ciel-2 is doing a lot of work there. 32 transponders to cover with 16 of them being all of those beams. At 110 there's two birds there and they don't have to cover 32 TP frequencies. Same thing for 119, it's CONUS and beams, but not many beams and it also doesn't cover but like 21 or so TP's (can't remember off the top of my head). And also it seems the DishNetwork boxes use a pseudo signal strength and quality for the meter. Not just strength. Less quality on those 8PSK transponders than QPSK ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)