6/4/2010 5:27pm - Uplink Activity Report - 30 changes

I have no clue on what all the legal talk is about and don't want to waste your time in having it explained to me!

But, put Albany Georgia on the "so something is funky" list for ABC out of Columbus Georgia or Tallahassee Florida. I know the cable company here provides both. (I know, different laws!!)

:D

i was the guy that asked about the jackson, tn locals still no nbc or cbs from memphis

hee hee

Well If I use my theory above with your market I get the same thing. Not all of Jackson, TN DMA has those 2 Memphis locals as SV

Caroll County it does not (just a couple Nashville ones)...so I hate to say it but Dish must be doing an "all or nothing" in those markets. If the whole market cant get it then nobody does

OK I might have figured out yours joecap

Dothan has 5 counties in its DMA and only 2 have the PC NBC as SV
Houston & Geneva

The other 3 (Coffee, Dale, Henry) NBC PC is NOT SV and would be considered a "distant" which Dish cannot legally sell right now...assuming parts of the PC DMA is the same way

Thats the only explanation I can come up with (right now) ;) as to why you are not getting NBC yet...because its not considered a SV local in the whole DMA
In the Panama City DMA WTVY (Dothan is our CBS) Franklin and Liberty county are served by CBS out of Tallahassee. They are the only 2 counties that carry CBS out of Tallahassee. I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong. Dish has to be certain no one in Liberty or Franklin county get Dothan CBS or they would be in violation because it's a distant network.

I think that's what the holdup is. Logical??

Joe

But, put Albany Georgia on the "so something is funky" list for ABC out of Columbus Georgia or Tallahassee Florida. I know the cable company here provides both. (I know, different laws!!)

:D

same thing. Dish is going to give the whole market Tallahassee ABC and it would be considered a "distant" in about 1/2 the market

In the Panama City DMA WTVY (Dothan is our CBS) Franklin and Liberty county are served by CBS out of Tallahassee. They are the only 2 counties that carry CBS out of Tallahassee. I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong. Dish has to be certain no one in Liberty or Franklin county get Dothan CBS or they would be in violation because it's a distant network.

Joe

BINGO! You nailed it.
All the counties in the PC DMA EXCEPT the two you mentioned have CBS Dothan as a Sig Viewed. Those 2 do not so that would be considered a distant in the market. DIsh apparently doesnt want to split up DMA's so counties A,B,C,D,E,F & G get a out of market channel from a different market than counties H, I & J. They're doing one set of locals for the whole DMA and its all or nothing. If one county cant qualify as SV 9as in the case of the Jackson, TN guy) the whole DMA doesnt get it until Dish has the authority to do "distants"

hee hee

Well If I use my theory above with your market I get the same thing. Not all of Jackson, TN DMA has those 2 Memphis locals as SV

Caroll County it does not (just a couple Nashville ones)...so I hate to say it but Dish must be doing an "all or nothing" in those markets. If the whole market cant get it then nobody does

i live in carroll county but my bro that lives like 5 miles down the road gets his locals out of nashville cause of him living in henry county i guess. so if they dont turn the nbc and cbs in memphis on for us what will we do about getting nbc and cbs?

BINGO! You nailed it.
All the counties in the PC DMA EXCEPT the two you mentioned have CBS Dothan as a Sig Viewed. Those 2 do not so that would be considered a distant in the market. DIsh apparently doesnt want to split up DMA's so counties A,B,C,D,E,F & G get a out of market channel from a different market than counties H, I & J. They're doing one set of locals for the whole DMA and its all or nothing. If one county cant qualify as SV 9as in the case of the Jackson, TN guy) the whole DMA doesnt get it until Dish has the authority to do "distants"
Good answer. Thanks Iceberg. That's got to be the holdup. Hopefully this will soon be resolved.

Appreciate your help.

Joe

i live in carroll county but my bro that lives like 5 miles down the road gets his locals out of nashville cause of him living in henry county i guess. so if they dont turn the nbc and cbs in memphis on for us what will we do about getting nbc and cbs?

yep Henry county gets Nashville..as for the 2 fill ins Dish applied to be able tosell distants in cases like this. They're just waiting on approval from the FCC. Once the FCC decides, Dish could turn them on right away
tennessee.gif

yep Henry county gets Nashville..as for the 2 fill ins Dish applied to be able tosell distants in cases like this. They're just waiting on approval from the FCC. Once the FCC decides, Dish could turn them on right away
tennessee.gif

will we have to pay more to get them since they will be considered as distants?

i been gone all day and still no local nbs .i,m going to show my ass big time about this and no locals hd.

Larry
I think myself and joecap (your Panama City neighbor in the same boat) figured this out. Just read the below correspondence (its just copies of posts in this thread...figured copy them so the trail is easy to read)

OK I might have figured out yours joecap

Dothan has 5 counties in its DMA and only 2 have the PC NBC as SV
Houston & Geneva

The other 3 (Coffee, Dale, Henry) NBC PC is NOT SV and would be considered a "distant" which Dish cannot legally sell right now...assuming parts of the PC DMA is the same way

Thats the only explanation I can come up with (right now) ;) as to why you are not getting NBC yet...because its not considered a SV local in the whole DMA

Joe

BINGO! You nailed it.
All the counties in the PC DMA EXCEPT the two you mentioned have CBS Dothan as a Sig Viewed. Those 2 do not so that would be considered a distant in the market. DIsh apparently doesnt want to split up DMA's so counties A,B,C,D,E,F & G get a out of market channel from a different market than counties H, I & J. They're doing one set of locals for the whole DMA and its all or nothing. If one county cant qualify as SV (as in the case of the Jackson, TN guy) the whole DMA doesnt get it until Dish has the authority to do "distants"

Once the FCC decides if Dish can sell "distants" to the whole market (all counties in the market) then you'll get your NBC. Dish is covering its butt on this whole SV/distants and doesnt want to lose the ability again. Unlike cable where you can have multiple affiliates for different parts Dish and DIrect do a "one for all" for the missing local

will we have to pay more to get them since they will be considered as distants?

no. Once the FCC decides and if they say yes Dish will turn them on and those would be your "de-facto" local. No extra charge

The reason I use the word "distant" is its a station that is significantly viewed in part of the market but not the whole market...thus making it a distant to you

Larry
I think myself and joecap (your Panama City neighbor in the same boat) figured this out. Just read the below correspondence (its just copies of posts in this thread...figured copy them so the trail is easy to read)

Once the FCC decides if Dish can sell "distants" to the whole market (all counties in the market) then you'll get your NBC. Dish is covering its butt on this whole SV/distants and doesnt want to lose the ability again. Unlike cable where you can have multiple affiliates for different parts Dish and DIrect do a "one for all" for the missing local

Iceberg,

Finally a clear picture of what seems to be the main issue for those of us in the Panama City/Dothan short market discussion!

Thanks for pulling it all together.

Now..... is anyone aware of whether or not DISH and the FCC are working on this whole distant/SV issue???

Sounds like this is something that DISH would have to pursue and I'm not sure how anyone would know whether or not DISH is even pursuing this for not only the Panama City/Dothan markets but probably the other short markets.

Stu

Iceberg, just to put another possible wrinkle into the equation. Market fillins which are not significantly viewed will still have to pass the signal level qualification for the location even if the station being considered is the one which is able to be received OTA from outside the market. Seems correct to me?
Maybe you can get the drift of what I mean and state it more plainly, if necessary.

Last edited:
Also, it should be stated that some significantly viewed Network stations will never be offered to a complete market. A case in point would be WGAL NBC Lancaster market into Philadelphia market. It would only be offered in Berks county and possibly a couple others because there is an NBC already in the Philadelphia market. Stations like this may never be offered at all but they are worthy of consideration due to weather and/or news coverage.

I live in Dothan too but would rather have WSFA out of Montgomery for NBC rather than the Panama City channel. With the distants thing could I apply for Montgomery instead of PC?