6' Bud

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Would one fit in the back of a truck? Would I need to detach the feedhorn? Or any of the other things attached to the back of the dish?

jself1982 said:
Would one fit in the back of a truck? Would I need to detach the feedhorn? Or any of the other things attached to the back of the dish?

me and someone helping me would carefully lift the dish straight up off the pole and sit it in the back of the truck bed or trailor with everything intact and secure it tightly so it doesn't move. make sure it is tied down tightly, nothing like the front end coming up and bending it. been there, done that. :rolleyes:

Is it to wide to lay flat in the back of a truck, would it be a wide load?

Do I need to take the feedhorn off? Then just set it up on my pole here?

Would there need to be any major modifications to the arc or anything since Im only 50 miles away?

the dish won't lay flat in the back, just on top of the bed. as for the arc, maybe not much adjustment if any. I would leave the feedhorn on, but the cover might fly off. as for the weight, I couldn't tell you. each dish has differences in weight.

Thanks, when I get this thing up here and on a pole, is it hard for me to set it up and find the satellites in the sky or would you recommend calling someone, keeping in mind I have put in Dish Networks easily...alone.

With this 10' I will have a receiver as well. And have seen guides on how to hook it up. I probably could do it myself....but is it hard to replace the acuator, add a kb lnb, and a c/ku feedhorn, the current setup doesn't have those, it only has now a c feedhorn and a superjack actuator that hasn't been moved in 5 yrs.

I think it's VERY doable.

Get to know this tuning section at the bottom of this page:

http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html

It's amazing the difference small changes in your declination can make.

Just for clarification - 4DTV / analog isn't out of the question on the 6 foot dish, just know that it will be limited as compared to a larger dish and you won't be disappointed.

jself1982 said:
With this 10' I will have a receiver as well. And have seen guides on how to hook it up. I probably could do it myself....
My first satellite project was to set up my 10' BUD. It is not hard at all to do it yourself, with a couple of strong backs to help lift the dish up on the pole. Its not that my dish weighs a lot, but it is an awkward kind of weight. As for replacing components, I would get your dish aimed first, then start replacing stuff that needs to be replaced.

If you can find out where the dish was pointed at when you take it down, this can be a real timesaver, as all you will have to do is aim the dish at the same satellite and you should be really close to being on the arc.

I have moved MANY 10 foot dishes in the back of my Ranger Pickup. I did as the other guys said about removing the feedhorn cover and tieing them down real good without warping them.

BryanSR

Status
Please reply by conversation.