6' dish height above grade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
What is the minimum distance above the ground that a 6' dish would have to sit to have full travel E to W?

I live in a subdivision, but, I have a solid vinyl fence that would hide the dish from view, providing it will sit low enough to not bee seen from the street.

It might be visible from a couple of other lots, but, I don't think this would be a problem because, hopefully, it will be hidden from view at street level.

I am 5' 4" and I cannot see over the top of the fence without standing my tip toes, so I hope I will have the room for a BUD, - but, there is nothing ugly about them!

Thanks,

3 1/2 ft
1/2 the dish size plus a bit for clearance but this low its prone to damage very easy , footballs baseballs ect
some here have taken a old bud that they found not being used and proped it up on the ground . so that could be and option also for stationary .

I leaned a 6 foot prodelin up against my privacy fence and pointed it at G-10R. The neighbors thought it was "just leaning there" lol.

I wasn't sure if the tilt of the dish would make it sit lower or not.

I guess I need to know, how high off the ground will the top tip of the dish be when installed.

This will tell me if I have the room to hide the dish behind my solid fence.

I have a 7.5 foot dish, and as you'll see in my avatar, it is above my 6ft high fence bit a fair bit. I mounted the dish about 6ft up, allowing 3.5ft down, and 2.5 feet for SNOW. Keep in mind that if you mount it too low, be sure to check the snow situtation before trying to move the dish using your remote control.

I have my 7.5' with 7' of pole out of the ground - for line of sight issues.
My 10' is 9' out of the ground.

They could be much lower as far as ground clearance goes.

I would allow a minimum of a couple of feet more than half the diameter of the dish - borowing you do not have children or pets or don't forget and ram it with the lawn mower.

The thing to realize on a C-Band dish is its prime focus

so 45 degree elevation is truly 45 degrees

KU dishes are offset and have between 22-27 degree offset. So they are much lower than they really are. The signal bounces above the dish to the LNB. On a C-Band dish, it comes straight at the dish and bounces to the LNB

here is what I mean

see the below pic. The C-Band dish and the Fortec dish

C-Band dish is at G4/G16 which is 38 degrees and is a prime focus. See how high it is
The KU dish is at G10 which is 30 elevation...dish looks straight :)

Attachments

• IM000821.JPG
    IM000821.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IM000852.JPG
    IM000852.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 227
I was hoping the dish because it would be prime focus would sit lower than a Ku offset dish would.

I don't suppose a 1.2m would pick up much C-Band will it?

"If my calculations are correct", a 6ft.Prime Focus Dish, in St.Louis, pointed at AMC8, on a Pole with 3'4" exposed would be 5'11" Tall with 4" clearance.
Plus or Minus. Mount not taken in to consideration. :)

Hey ice,
That's pretty neat using a sandbag to hold the dish down. Have you ever thought of a polar mount for your 6 footer? It would be fun to just swing it east to west with a v-box or analog receiver. Save you a lot of work aiming when changing sats.

Hey ice,
That's pretty neat using a sandbag to hold the dish down.
sandbag is because the dish is top heavy. 38 elevation is pretty low for a true south here in Minnesota

Have you ever thought of a polar mount for your 6 footer? It would be fun to just swing it east to west with a v-box or analog receiver. Save you a lot of work aiming when changing sats.
nah. The reason its on a table is because of line of site. I can see from 87-107 and most of the elevation is the same. A polar mount is an option but a different house is first where I can bury the dish :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts