6' Dish on J-Pole on Roof?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal.quest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Near Scranton, PA
My journey for C Band has not been easy. I have several obstacles to putting my 10' Mesh BUD up. I am now considering it might be easier to buy the 6' special. This depends on the answer to this question. Can I mount the 6' dish on my roof using a large J Pole with struts? Has anyone done this that can comment? Where can I buy a large enough J Pole? Thanks.

i would not trust that big of a dish on a j-pole regardless of how you brace it....unless it was mounted on a cement brick wall and heavily braced....if your roof is wood foundation i would not even try it....

Hi, how much pitch does your roof have? If you have enough room in the antic to move around you might consider a pipe mount that goes through the roof and gets bolted to the rafters using U bolts. The hole in the roof is finished using standard sewer pipe flashing/boot.

I have a low pitch roof and what worked for me was a vertical pipe just past the roof edge running into cement in the ground and braced to the side of the house with a heavy duty bracket I made out of angle iron.

Can post a picture if needed.

Later, DC

Hi, how much pitch does your roof have? If you have enough room in the antic to move around you might consider a pipe mount that goes through the roof and gets bolted to the rafters using U bolts. The hole in the roof is finished using standard sewer pipe flashing/boot.

I have a low pitch roof and what worked for me was a vertical pipe just past the roof edge running into cement in the ground and braced to the side of the house with a heavy duty bracket I made out of angle iron.

Can post a picture if needed.

Later, DC

Please post pics. A 21' pole cemented in the ground with side supports attached to the house is the way I was going. I am having a difficult time creating the brackets since my roof hangs like 20' over. My wife is also not thrilled about a large pipe attached to the house. I would prefer not penetrating my roof and a I don't have LOS from the ground. Thanks.

Please post pics. A 21' pole cemented in the ground with side supports attached to the house is the way I was going. I am having a difficult time creating the brackets since my roof hangs like 20' over. My wife is also not thrilled about a large pipe attached to the house. I would prefer not penetrating my roof and a I don't have LOS from the ground. Thanks.

Hi, here are the pictures of the bracket I made for my 10 foot BUD. I did not have access to the other side of the wall so I had to use lag bolts/shields to attach to the block wall. I used heavy duty urethane construction glue to help prevent any movement between the wall and bracket.

Let me know if you have any other questions, DC

Attachments

• BUDIMGP9799.JPG
    BUDIMGP9799.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 260
  • BUDIMGP9800.JPG
    BUDIMGP9800.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 224
  • BUDIMGP9801.JPG
    BUDIMGP9801.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 235
Hi, here are the pictures of the bracket I made for my 10 foot BUD. I did not have access to the other side of the wall so I had to use lag bolts/shields to attach to the block wall. I used heavy duty urethane construction glue to help prevent any movement between the wall and bracket.

Let me know if you have any other questions, DC

Nice pics! Did you weld the bracket together?

Nice pics! Did you weld the bracket together?

Hi, yes - we have a nice MIG welder at work so I fired that puppy up and let the sparks fly.

If you do not have access to welding equipment I would think you could get a welding shop to finish the bracket for you.

Good luck with the project, DC

i used welding equipments such that welding jackets, gloves and also wore leather shoes to keep my self safe from any injury. so i suggest the others welder's to use welding equipments to keep there-self safe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)