6 foot dish install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dougruss

Retired and Loving it !
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
That works ... While you are there at Lowe's see if there is a Pole that would fit nicely into the mount. And if so, let us know the stock # if possible. :D

I'd already built the polar mount, but not the dish yet

Probably should have this as a Separate Post?......

Well....here's the way I'm going. Don't know if it's the "Proper Way",but here goes:

Picked up a 2 3/8"( O.D.) Galv. Terminal Post ( Fence)
Burying 4 feet of it and will have 40 inches exposed. Filling the inside of the post with concrete as well.

Now the fun part....

I picked up 2 2 " PVC Couplings
Remove the Ridge in the center of the couplings along with some of the material so that it would slide over pipe easily. Then I had to Grind Flats of the outside diameter to clear the Lock Down Bolt Thread inserts inside.
Located the holes onto the PVC Couplings where the Lock Down Bolts would be and drilled them out.

It takes a while, Dremmel Tool and Sander comes in handy.

Attachments

• IMG_0097-1.JPG
    IMG_0097-1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0096-1.JPG
    IMG_0096-1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0100-1.JPG
    IMG_0100-1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_0099-1.JPG
    IMG_0099-1.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_0101-1.JPG
    IMG_0101-1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

Well....here's the way I'm going. Don't know if it's the "Proper Way",but here goes:

Burying 4 feet of it and will have 40 inches exposed. Filling the inside of the post with concrete as well.

Now the fun part....

Remove the Ridge in the center of the couplings along with some of the material so that it would slide over pipe easily. Then I had to Grind Flats of the outside diameter to clear the Lock Down Bolt Thread inserts inside.
Located the holes onto the PVC Couplings where the Lock Down Bolts would be and drilled them out.

Nice job Doug. :up What size concrete form did you use? Did you use some re-bar or large bolts in the bottom to keep it from rotating in high winds?

Nice job Doug. :up What size concrete form did you use? Did you use some re-bar or large bolts in the bottom to keep it from rotating in high winds?

I used a 8" Form Tube and I Drilled Several Holes to run some 1/2" Threaded Rod I had laying around from when I installed my Motorized Hot Dish setup, to keep it from turning.

Now the fun part....

Wow that is really cool how ya did all that so far, wish I had extra time to do this during the week.. hehe

All I can say is.......Retirement is a wonderful thing!! :D

Must be nice to be retired and have this great hobby.. good for ya pal :up
As for me, the way the economy is.. wont happen for at least 30 years or so

Now the fun part....

Looks great doug. Did you silicon spray on the pipe or coupling so that they slide? Am I correct that your coupling sizes the pipe allows the polar mount to fit snugly? Other than grinding flats edges to clear the lockdown threads inside, it sounds like the 2in coupling fits perfectly. I also have a 2 3/8 pole so I'll probably be copying your creation. I don't have a belt sander which looks like it would make things easy for the outside, but I do have the drememl

Looks great doug. Did you silicon spray on the pipe or coupling so that they slide? Am I correct that your coupling sizes the pipe allows the polar mount to fit snugly? Other than grinding flats edges to clear the lockdown threads inside, it sounds like the 2in coupling fits perfectly. I also have a 2 3/8 pole so I'll probably be copying your creation. I don't have a belt sander which looks like it would make things easy for the outside, but I do have the drememl

No, I just kept removing a little of the Material on the inside of the coupling until it slipped on smoothly.
It fits just right. ;)

Got it together..............Ran out of Steam!
But pointed it to 91w and got a Lock on the C-Band Side.( 81 channels so far)
Still needs tweaking and should get the Motor Wired up this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 741
Good job. Would you want to guess as to the minimum height of the pole that would be acceptable ? 40 inches maybe, or perhaps even less ? I'd like to put mine as low as practicable and still have enough clearance for movement.
:)

Good job. Would you want to guess as to the minimum height of the pole that would be acceptable ? 40 inches maybe, or perhaps even less ? I'd like to put mine as low as practicable and still have enough clearance for movement.

I went with 30" of pole from the ground up. With my Elevation at 41 degrees, the Lower lip of the Dish is about 20" from the ground with Dish currently pointed at 91w.

That sounds great ! I'm at 42 deg north and with 87W as my True south, I should be in good shape with a pole in the 30-36" range.
Thanks
Haven't seen so much excitement around here , from a bargain, in a long time. Maybe when SatAV had the bulk buy on GeosatPro lnbf's .....

Congrats and nicely done! Man I need to get mine setup soon I hope hehe

What size of motor?

I ordered, and just received within two working days the 6Ft dish as well as the PMA24 actuator arm. Being a new person to the "C" band world, I could not help but noticed that you mentioned, " Still needs tweeking and should get the Motor Wired up this weekend". What size of motor do I need with this dish and where does it gets connected to the dish in conjuction with the actuator.

I am thinking on beginning to work with the dish preparation this weekend such as digging the hole and pouring the cement for the pole.

Any information or help on this project is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

avenger.

Dougruss,

Were did you get the 2.5/8 ground pole for the dish mount. Home Depot only has the 2.3/8

I ordered, and just received within two working days the 6Ft dish as well as the PMA24 actuator arm. Being a new person to the "C" band world, I could not help but noticed that you mentioned, " Still needs tweeking and should get the Motor Wired up this weekend". What size of motor do I need with this dish and where does it gets connected to the dish in conjuction with the actuator.

I am thinking on beginning to work with the dish preparation this weekend such as digging the hole and pouring the cement for the pole.

Any information or help on this project is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

avenger.

The actuator IS the motor he was talking about. Can be confusing, like much else in this hobby !

The actuator IS the motor he was talking about. Can be confusing, like much else in this hobby !

brentb636,:)

Thanks for the reply. Somehow I invision some allien contraption hooking up to the dish. Am I releive.

My next step is to modify a 2 3/8 fence post to obtain the right dimention. This is going to be a fun project, and a new experience with FTA.

I have done some research, but still not too clear on how much of the "C" band channels will I be able to view with this dish, way down here about 30 miles North of New Orleans Louisiana area.

Thanks again

avenger.

I'd think you will be able to get most anything on the LIST of Cband channels, except the DVB-S2 stuff. I can get a decent number of channels on my 4 footer. The 6 foot dish should be gravy for my favorite sports feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)