6 ft c-band dish for NSS 806 (40.5W). Will I be able to receive signals in the Boston,Mass area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebu22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I am hoping to install 6 ft c-band dish to receive signals from NSS 806 satelite located at (40.5W). If I am reading the lyngsat footprint correctly it seems that I should be able to receive signals from this satellite. Does anyone know whether a 6ft dish will suffice for the Boston Massachusetts area?

This is my first attempt to install a c-band system. I have no prior experience with c-band.

If you bought it new, then there should be a small plastic rectangle about 1/4" thick. That gets inserted into the LNBF opening (there are small groves to align to) to receive Circular C Band signals. (and removed for Linear Signals)

Have you installed FTA Ku stuff before?

I am hoping to install 6 ft c-band dish to receive signals from NSS 806 satelite located at (40.5W). If I am reading the lyngsat footprint correctly it seems that I should be able to receive signals from this satellite. Does anyone know whether a 6ft dish will suffice for the Boston Massachusetts area?
Surely. You Can get it;)..
I am one Point below from you on EIRP value (In the Map footprint lyngsat) and I am receiving almost 90 clear free channels with sadoun 1.8 mts..This means that Boston looks more strongest the signal of this satellie
This Satellite is in the atlantic location and is little low on elevation so is important to avoid trees in the front or any other "Blocks" that could affect your hunting. It is circular band so you need to attach the little piece of square plate inside of the LNB.. You can use any FTA receiver DVB-S because it has a lot channels still on DVB-S,, But it has also some on DVB-S2 Mpeg-4...
Use this Frecuency for your hunting is High:
4021 L
SR: 16030
Use dishpointer to get your parameters according to your zip code
Vallenato;)

Yes, I have installed a motorized KU dish before. I probably will need to read up on how to set the dish elevation. Unlike my KU setup, the c-band dish does not appear to have an elevation scale on its mount.

Yes, I have installed a motorized KU dish before. I probably will need to read up on how to set the dish elevation. Unlike my KU setup, the c-band dish does not appear to have an elevation scale on its mount.

You can post Pictures of you antenna and we can help more easy

Are you installing a fixed dish (az-el mount), or motorized (on a polar mount)?
If fixed, there is nothing to aim but azimuth and elevation.
There is no declination.
?And if circular, there is no skew.

Nss806 was replaced with New satelite SES 6 since some weeks ago.. Appears on Lyngsat that the new satellite SES 6 is fully Operational right Now. Last week I lost some signal but I have adjusted little bit My dish and the signal came back again..
The New Footprint appears that some regions of Central and east of USA were gain one Point up on EIRP Value..
On the Practice I did not notice a Big increase on my signal on my clear Channels (because my EIRP value has switched from 39 to 40).. Only Some weakers TP's appears little bit better but I am still checking to see what is going on..

http://www.ses.com/4628404/ses-6
http://www.lyngsat.com/SES-6.html

Good News!!!!;)

If you bought it new, then there should be a small plastic rectangle about 1/4" thick. That gets inserted into the LNBF opening (there are small groves to align to) to receive Circular C Band signals. (and removed for Linear Signals)

Now I know what that little rectangle thing is that's been rattling around in my NS741 box :D

I have two questions :

Regarding the dish elevation. Using dishpointer (website) I found that the elevation for my dish should be 31.8 for NSS 806. I have an inclinometer, I mounted the inclinometer as depicted in the attached photo. The inclinometer is parallel to the surface of the dish. I then adjusted the dish elevation to be 31.8. Do this sound correct?

Regarding the focal length of the dish. My dish is 6 ft (72 inches) in diameter and I computed the depth of the dish to be approximately 11.5 inches as follows : (72 * 72) / (16 * 11.5) = 28.14. The scale on the Lnb I am using only goes down to 34. Is my calculation correct? Should I simply estimate where 28 is on the lnb scale or should I use the 34 ring.

Attachments

• inclinometer.JPG
    inclinometer.JPG
    743.4 KB · Views: 255
The scale on the feed/scalar should be set to the F/D ratio.
Focal length / dish diameter.
6ft dish. 72
28/72= 0.38888888888888888888888888888889
?set to 39

Some success. I was able to pull in a few channels on tp 4021 L and MTV Brasil in the clear. I am using a WS 6096 meter which has a small display so I am able to see the channels. My Q signal level is only in the 40s. I guess I will need to spend some time adjusting the satellite.

Some success. I was able to pull in a few channels on tp 4021 L and MTV Brasil in the clear. I am using a WS 6096 meter which has a small display so I am able to see the channels. My Q signal level is only in the 40s. I guess I will need to spend some time adjusting the satellite.
Congratulations Cebu;)
Yes you need to "play" a lot to adjust your settings to get the best signal in your antenna position..
After set the best adjustments on elevation azimuth you can move (pull in/ out ) "LITTLE BIT" the LNB and check the signal meter.
I have spent a lot time "playing" with this satellite to get the best results on my dish
Have a Fun!!!

Is this a good satellite over all for cband?

dan rose
Yes this is. You can find English, Spanish, Portuguese languages. If you like the music this satellite is good, some channels have Videos from those languages. TV Guyana and RCN broadcast Movies like Hispasat does..Around 90 channels you can get with 1.8 mts in USA ..2.4 mts could be perfect to get all channels..

Remember this about all this 6footer bashing: Some folks here like to over-compensate for their "insecurites" by getting the largest dish possible. ;)
Therefore, if your limited by space, finances or just want to test it...... 6 foot C-band is better than no C-band!

Cheers, K

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts