Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Hello All -

Are any of you using the 6' Prime Focus C-Band Dish? I do understand that a BUD would be allot better. However, I'm interested to know what kind of results could be achieved with the smaller dish. I would
motorize it of course.

Your expert advice and guidance are always appreciated!

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

Yes, you can get a lot of DVB-S signals however the DVB-S2 signals need more tweaking. Some stuff you can't get but it's worth the effort. I just took a 6 foot prime focus down. I would point it at 91 or 105. I would get a good satellite meter if your budget allows it. When on 105 I never could get H2H tp's and the NBC tp at the same time. When on 91 I never could get BYU. I am in Kentucky. I would much rather have a 6 footer then nothing.

Last edited:
Hi Wallyhts -

Thanks for your reply and I appreciate the information. I just put up a Ku Band system and I'm really
enjoying it. I do have an OLM Meter. It's a Tenma 72-6281. It was very helpful getting my motorized 90cm
dish aligned at my closest True South Satellite. I was able to tune in 24 Ku Sats with my Geosat 90cm Dish, Powertech DG-380 HH Motor, HDMicro Receiver. This got me to thinking about adding C-Band. I know the best thing I could put up would be a BUD. However I'd like to try experimenting with a smaller dish first. Is it possible just to add a C-Band dish to my existing Ku setup? Or, would it be better to take down the Ku dish and just use the C-Band dish with a dual FLNB?

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

P.S. I'm from Paducah by the way (>:

I use a 6 foot prime focus for my cband pleasure. No complaints so far on 91w 97w 99w 105w 107w 113w 116w and so forth.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

would it be better to take down the Ku dish and just use the C-Band dish with a dual FLNB?
No. Separate dishes is best [IMHO]. Put a switch between the receiver and the LNBF's. A 22khz switch will accommodate 2 LNBF's/ 1 C -1 Ku. A diseqc 2-4 or 8 (chain w 22khz sw. for more) (but remember, if you plan to use a universal type Ku LNBF for the atlantic satellites, you can't use a 22khz switch in all situations)
If you're salivating at the prospects of getting C band, I say go for it. Many members here have 'cut their teeth' on a 6. Quite a few still use 'em. Many others went on and bagged a bigger BUD during their BUD hunts. I recommend a bigger BUD. But, that's your decision.

Hello All -

Thank you for your suggestions. I kinda had a feeling it would be better to leave the Ku dish as it is. Could I install a 22Khz switch so that I can use the C-Band dish with my MicroHD Receiver? Also another question I have is ... is a 12" actuator the right one for the 6' dish. If so, what kind of range can be got out of it satellite wise? The HH motor I use on my Ku dish will do 60W to 127W (haven't reached the west limit yet). So, besides the dish I'll have to order the actuator, FLNB, VBOX, scaler ring, plus figuring out how I want to mount it.

Your advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

Think a 12 inch is a bit short. An 18 is the 'usually' recommended for about all but the largest dishes (10 ft and above) Ask the seller of the 6 ft dish what they recommend.
If it's too long, there's internal limit switches, so you don't damage the polar mount/dish. Better to have too much, than too little. If too short it won't 'cover' the arc.
Dish + Polar mount, on a pole sunk in cement. Schedule 40 pipe recommended**.LNBF includes the scalar
** 6 ft polar mounts fits smaller pipe than those of larger dishes so if 'up-sizing later, you can 'slip fit' the larger diameter over it, without severe strength issues .
Could I install a 22Khz switch so that I can use the C-Band dish with my MicroHD Receiver?
Yes. the microHD will operate 22khz switches(and diseqc, or a combination of them)

I had used a 6 footer here in Minnesota just fine. MOST DVB-S2 worked (there are some that wont) and pretty much all DVB worked fine. (except for 116.8 but that was due to a satellite footprint issue)

The OP, of course. :)
...I just put up a Ku Band system and I'm really enjoying it.
.... I was able to tune in 24 Ku Sats with my Geosat 90cm Dish, Powertech DG-380 HH Motor, HDMicro Receiver.
....Is it possible just to add a C-Band dish to my existing Ku setup?
Or, would it be better to take down the Ku dish and just use the C-Band dish with a dual FLNB?

Last edited:
How to add C-Band Dish to existing Ku System?

Hello All -

I'd like to ask your opinions on how to add a C-Band Dish to my existing Ku system. I posted this last night but I can't find the post. Wrong area maybe? Anyway, I currently have a Ku Band System consisting of a MicroHD Receiver, GeoSat 90cm dish w HH Motor. It works great, I can tune in 24 Sats with it. As mentioned above, I'd like to add a C-Band dish to the existing system. Is it possible?, is that the way to do it? Would it be better to put up a stand alone C-Band system?

Your expert advice and comments would be appreciated!

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

Shame he's not near me as I've got a 6 panel aluminum 6' Janel Jr with polar mount laying on the ground I'd give him just to be rid of it.

I have a dual c band and k band system set up. the k band is a 1.2 satav dish with dg380 and a sadoun 6' prime focus with a v motor. the microhd is connected to a 22k switch that either feeds the k band or c band dish. get a very good k band signal and acceptable c band signal. charlie

Merged the two threads. ;)

Heres mine using a 741 c/ku standard LNB.I have gotten very good results on both ku and c.There are a few c signals that i cant get with a 6 footer but a high percentage including s2 that i can get.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 206
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)