6 Recordings at once.

You are correct. However, so is Iceberg...since the PTAT would be duplicates and therefore do not count twice. So you have to throw out the duplicated 4 from your 12, leaving 8 as he stated. Still, not half bad. :p

As a promoter I'm saying it records 12 shows. As a realist, I'm with Iceberg. Just fun to badger about.

ok im confused now
I havent been reading everything but i was told the hopper can record up to 6 things, but this is only in the ptat hours? if i have 1 hopper and 3 joeys during the day time i cant use 1 of the joeys? Could someone explain this in a little more simpler detail

Wizard777 said:
ok im confused now
I havent been reading everything but i was told the hopper can record up to 6 things, but this is only in the ptat hours? if i have 1 hopper and 3 joeys during the day time i cant use 1 of the joeys? Could someone explain this in a little more simpler detail

The simplest way to explain it is that the Hopper only has 3 tuners. If you have 4 tvs, one will not be able to watch live content. During the PTAT hours one of the 3 tuners records the four HD locals at once, only leaving you with two available tuners.

Wizard777 said:
ok im confused now

A Hopper has three tuners. So if you have 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys you will not be able to watch a different live TV channel at each of the four locations. However, a tuner can be shared by multiple locations, or the fourth location can watch something pre-recorded off the DVR or PTAT or access VOD or Blockbuster.

The Hopper uses one tuner during prime time to record the big four HD locals (assuming your DMA has them). The other two tuners are free to view or record anything else, meaning that one Hopper can record up to six programs at once (if PTAT is enabled).

dustinw82 said:
The simplest way to explain it is that the Hopper only has 3 tuners. If you have 4 tvs, one will not be able to watch live content. During the PTAT hours one of the 3 tuners records the four HD locals at once, only leaving you with two available tuners.

Just want to add that you can disable PTAT and keep all three tuners under your control if you so choose.

if i got 1 hopper and 3 joeys i would be paying for the 3rd joey that cant watch live tv from what i understand if the hopper only has 3 tuners but i am hooked up to 4 tv's

please correct me if im wrong

Wizard777 said:
if i got 1 hopper and 3 joeys i would be paying for the 3rd joey that cant watch live tv from what i understand if the hopper only has 3 tuners but i am hooked up to 4 tv's

That is correct. You could always get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys and pay the same monthly fees.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

The big benefit to the Hopper/Joey combo is in watching/recording and not so much live TV. If you watch 4 live tv shows at once and they are all different live tvs, then 1 Hopper plus 3 Joeys wouldn't be a good fit. But if you wanted watch 4 different live programs during prime time, you could do that as long as 2 were watching what PTAT is recording, maybe a slight delay though.

But for people like me, the Hopper with one Joey could easily replace the 3 dual tuner HDDVRs that I have since I watch almost zero live TV, nor does my son. And virtually anytime I have an issue with a recording even contention, it involves 2 or more local channels in HD.

Wizard777 said:
well that is not worth paying an extra 7 dollars for, good info to know

Why don't you just get 2 hoppers and 2 joeys? This gives you 6 tuners for 4 locations. There is no difference in the monthly cost. The only downfall is that the two hoppers don't share with each other yet. However, the joeys can see both hoppers.

It can watch live tv but not if the other 3 TVs are watching live TV at the same time. Excluding prime time you can either watch or record 3 shows at a time.

In my home we want live tv available to all 5 rooms where we have TV but there are only 4 of us in the house and we actually watch TV together sometimes. 2 of us might be watching march madness in the man cave while the women are watching something on abc family in the living room. For us 2 hoppers and 3 joeys should be perfect. Usually only 2 or 3 TVs will be in use at any given time.

Apparently I asked a confusing question. OK, let's get specific. My DMA has 6 HD channels on the same transponder. Why does PTAT record only 4 of them if in fact the whole transponder is recorded? I am suspicious that Scott got fed bum information and the actual technical fact is that PTAT records only 4 demultiplexed channels, period.

TheKrell said:
Apparently I asked a confusing question. OK, let's get specific. My DMA has 6 HD channels on the same transponder. Why does PTAT record only 4 of them if in fact the whole transponder is recorded? I am suspicious that Scott got fed bum information and the actual technical fact is that PTAT records only 4 demultiplexed channels, period.

Not all DMAs have more than the big 4. From a marketing perspective, it would complicate things to tell customers to refer to a website to figure out which locals are covered by PTAT in their market. Limiting it to the big four allows them to keep messaging clear and concise to consumers.

It was discussed in a post CES Hopper thread that the entire local HD TP IS recorded and that the current software only pulls out the Big 4 programming. If I remember correctly, the future expansion of PTAT to cover all HD locals on the TP was presented as a possibility by someone from Dish who fielded Hopper related questions at CES.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

dangue said:
Not all DMAs have more than the big 4. From a marketing perspective, it would complicate things to tell customers to refer to a website to figure out which locals are covered by PTAT in their market. Limiting it to the big four allows them to keep messaging clear and concise to consumers.

It was discussed in a post CES Hopper thread that the entire local HD TP IS recorded and that the current software only pulls out the Big 4 programming. If I remember correctly, the future expansion of PTAT to cover all HD locals on the TP was presented as a possibility by someone from Dish who fielded Hopper related questions at CES.

If one where to create a timer for a show on that transponder, but not part of the big four, will it use another tuner?

DodgerKing said:
How can Joeys share recordings if the Joeys don't have any recordings to share?

The Joeys themselves don't have any recordings, but you can easily change which Hopper the Joey is paired to in the settings.

isaacmorseMI said:
The Joeys themselves don't have any recordings, but you can easily change which Hopper the Joey is paired to in the settings.

Ohhhh...I see...

dustinw82 said:
If one where to create a timer for a show on that transponder, but not part of the big four, will it use another tuner?

It currently uses another tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)