6000 Model Red Blur

kevbach

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I have a dish 6000 model receiver and have been having problems with the picture. Whenever there is movement on the screen from a red or reddish object, that object is very blurry and seems to drag a red streak across the screen. Thats the best way I can describe it. It only does it on standard definitnion channels, and some seem to be worse than others. It is very noticible on ESPN, ABC Family, and Discovery, but not so much on my locals. The HDTV stations and OTA have no problems at all. Whats even stranger is that the problem goes away when I switch the reciever mode from HD to SD. I belive I've ruled out the TV being the problem as other receivers and DVD players work fine on it.

Has anyone experienced this issue with this reciever?

Try swapping out the component cables your using or wich ever video path cable your using to view sd content on, if it continues then you have a problem with the reciever, did the other receivers and dvd player get hooked up using the same cables and to the same ports on the tv?

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I have tried replacing the cable but no help there. I plugged the dvd player into the same input as the dish receiver, and didnt see the problem.

As I search the forum, it seems there are others with the same problem. Looks like this will be the thrid time getting a replacement.

kevbach, my original 6000 did not have this issue; it wasn't until I had to replace it due to a Smart Card authorization issue that I first saw this flaw. I noticed it most watching F1 races on Speed, the Ferarri red was just the right shade, along with the bollards on the chicanes. The same thing with the traffic cones on "MotorWeek" as the camera pans back and forth following the slaloming car.

My 6000 seems to have some problems processing reds while in HD mode as well. I occasionally see the streaks you are talking about but not to a "serious" degree. But what seems to stand out to me is that any large area of red, only when in HD mode, seems overly saturated and exaggerated. It's like it's TOO bright of a red.

My 6000 is doing it too in 1080i mode watching an SD channel. The red part of the image seems to move across the screen slower than the rest of the picture.
HD channels are okay.

I wonder if it is a firmware problem because I haven't noticed it until the last upgrade a few months ago. Anyone have more info on this?

I've noticed it lately too, it's a recent thing, started maybe a few weeks ago...

I see it only on the non-HD channels (when I actually watch non-HD channels..)

I'd suspect something not related to our receivers...like a problem on the Dish end....because it hasn't always been there, and I've had my 6000 for almost 4 years, and it isn't on all channels...

Same thing on my 6000. I have had it several years without this problem. It must be some change in the feed that the 6000s can't handle well.

OKCrew said:
Same thing on my 6000. I have had it several years without this problem. It must be some change in the feed that the 6000s can't handle well.

I think you're right. Also, I've noticed that whenever I press "Guide" on the remote, there is this really long delay with a black screen before the guide comes up.

My receiver is getting very old too and I think is close to death. Lately, about three times per week and only after watching or while watching OTA material suddenly the screen goes blank and the receiver blinks its green light for about five seconds and the receiver just turns off. When you turn it right back on, it usually has the "acquiring satellite signal" message on for about 2-3 minutes before the picture and sound returns.

Everyday, a 942 looks better and better to me, but I'm trying to hold on to see what's going to come out in MPEG4 and when. I don't want to get burned.

I had my Dish 6000 swap for this problem. Still there with the new unit. The only way I can get rid of the smear in colors is to zoom in on 1080i feed of SD programming. The problem in my opinion is the compression of the SD channels is reaching the breaking point. When we upscale to 1080i or 720p the problem of more and more compression is very well seen by us the viewers.

I called dish about the red problem and they said I was the first to complain about it. They said I could get it fixed by spending $799 for a 942.
I asked about a swap for a working 6000 and they declined. They said I would have to buy a new receiver since the 6000 is "obsolete" and not compatable with their "new system" whatever that means. I think I may just cancel Dish over this once and for all. I hope enough people complain about the problem so we can replacements that work. I'm not made of money and it's crazy for them to expect me to buy a new receiver everytime they send down a bad firmware update.

I've noticed mine also reboots on its own a few times a week since the last update came down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)