6000 OTA problem

epsilon

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Chicago area
Setup: 6000 w/8VSB&8PSK modules, Superdish+61.5, DPP44

Last spring I removed my OTA antenna because I could get my HD locals via cable. Previously, I could get all the Chicago digital OTA channels fine on the 6000. A few weeks later I upgraded to Superdish and 8PSK.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to plug the OTA back in in order to get some channels not available on cable. I could not pick up ANY channels whether scanning or entering the channel numbers manually.

Is there something in the Superdish/8PSK combo that broke OTA reception or is my 8VSB broken? I couldn't dig up anything with a forum search. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I do not have a Superdish, but I have some ideas. Try the antenna cable with a standard TV to verify your aerial/cabling is still functional. I realize this setup had worked previously, but it's best to start at square one.
Next I would perform a hard reset on the 6000 by holding the power for 10 seconds.
Is the fan running on the 8VSB module?
Again, these are just some ideas. Good Luck!

The antenna is fine.

Is the fan running on the 8VSB module?
You hit the nail on the head. No wonder I hadn't heard the fan in awhile! Took the 8VSB out and the fan was difficult to move. After blowing air and putting a drop of oil on, it would spin again. Put it back on, it was loud but it worked. Unfortunately the module must be burned out because still no go. I'll have to call Dish and get it replaced one of these days.

Thanks for the help!

I'm on my third 8VSB module. They are garbage, and they burn out because the design has them running 24/7 rather than only turning on when you use it. The fans are of poor quality and they start seizing or stalling, then the unit itself burns out. I've forced Dish to replace them under the "this isn't my fault, so I'm not paying for it" defense.

What's really lame, is while the ATSC tuner is running (and overheating) 24/7 even with the unit turned off, the sat tuner shuts off as soon as you switch to an ATSC channel, which means within 1/2 hour, you lose all your guide info and if you make the mistake of hitting guide before tuning a sat channel, the box takes forever to find the information and you can't watch anything. Not sure why they don't leave the much cooler sat tuner running 24/7 and only have the ATSC tuner active when you are actually tuning a channel.

6000HD is such a poor design, I can't wait until I can get the 622.

I hear you. The sat tuner shutting off is what drove me to abandon OTA and get cable HD. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I don't recall that happening in the first couple of years. Perhaps it was a software update that did it. I wouldn't put it past them.

Hopefully I won't have to put up much of a fight because I have DHP. I just hope they won't make me troubleshoot it over the phone because I've already removed it.

Ditto on the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts