6000 owner - Best deal for getting an 811?

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
I'm an original (2000) model 6000 owner, and it's time to consider moving up. The 6000 is really showing its age.

What are the available deals for getting an 811? As a current E* customer, am I eligible for the lease plan? (I can't justify buying one if the 811 is to become obselete soon). If eligible, what is the cost of the lease plan, including any mandatory programming packages?

I was a current customer when I started leasing a second 811. I still was under a 1 year commitment with my first 811, when I called to lease a second 811. I was first told they can't lease a second 811 to me because of my commitment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she agreed to let me lease a second 811. It costs $5.00 per month, and there is no commitment of any kind with a lease. It's a great deal.

Well you do get committed to subscribing to the HD pack. Sell the 6000 on Ebay. You can get some real money for it ($250-$300 range). You can buy an 811 for less (since hackers like the 6000). Or lease an 811 for less, a good deal if you want the HD pack.

hmm I talked to a lady over at dish and I asked about when MPEG-4 was rolling out she stated they they don't upgrade antennas but they will upgrade the receivers if they make a receiver obsolete or a receiver is so old that it can't get anymore updates. That's what she told me anyways and she was pretty highup in technical support, spoke english too!

PILMAN: You should know better than to believe anything you hear from an E* CSR.

The only way to be sure that something has happened is to read it here in the forums - and then only if it's verified by more than a few people.

Of course if you are leasing a reciever you do not really have to care about MPEG-4, you just send the new doorstop back to Dish for replacement.

The problem with MPEG-4 is what the deal will be for those that own their own recievers. What type of deal will Dish make? I am sure they will have some sort of free replacement for every receiver, it is just a matter of if the customer thinks it is a fair exchange.

"I paid $1000 for my 921, now I get a free lease?" would make a lot upset since they would feel like they flushed $1000 down the drain. But, if they were to give you a new receiver similar to the 921 in exchange then people probably would not be upset (even if the new receiver retails for less than the 921 since tech prices keep falling).

I have no doubt that there will be a replacement for every box, just a matter of the perceived deal. If you lease you do not have to worry about it.

mike123abc said:
...Sell the 6000 on Ebay. You can get some real money for it ($250-$300 range). You can buy an 811 for less.

I assume you mean buy an 811 on Ebay, also? If the used receiver has zero-balance, does Dish require that you still get a new access card? If so, how much are they?

EDIT: I think I just realized that the 811 has a built-in access card - not a removeable one. Is this correct?

The 811 has an empty card slot for future use, but the 811 has a built in smart card that it uses now. I sold one of my 6000s for $600 back in the day when they could decode all the HD for hackers and got a replacement 811 from dish for $99. My second 6000 only sold for $300 a month ago (hackers have been locked out of HD content now).

noremac said:
I'm an original (2000) model 6000 owner, and it's time to consider moving up. The 6000 is really showing its age.

What are the available deals for getting an 811? As a current E* customer, am I eligible for the lease plan? (I can't justify buying one if the 811 is to become obselete soon). If eligible, what is the cost of the lease plan, including any mandatory programming packages?
Also consider selling your 6000 on the internet or whatever if you no longer want it and want to offset the cost of better equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts