61.5 Dish Going Away Soon?

ComcastOgre

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Saint Marys, Ohio
Hey everybody. I just recently switched back to Dish Network, and I am interested in getting a 2nd dish for 61.5 to receive EuroNews. If I remember correctly, the fee is $100.

My problem is that the installer that came out to rehook up Dish Network said that within the next year or two, Dish Network will no longer be using the 61.5 degree location. Is this true? If so, will I get EuroNews on the 119 or 110 or the 129 location?

Thanks for the help.

The installer may be referring to Dish's intention to send up 2 new satellites by the end of this year. These sats will relay programs in MPEG-4 only, so the entire lineup of the major packages and (presumably) HD will fit. You would then need only one satellite dish to receive everything. Well, most people would only need one satellite dish. Exact details are not certain yet- or at least, not completely released. Then the need for 61.5 will be gone. But the old satellites, including 61.5, will continue in use for some years for current customers. You can move to the new, but will not be required to. At least, not for some years.

Are you certain they will charge you? Maybe for a subscription to Euronews, they'll install it free.

No idea which satellite Euronews will be on a year from now. I'd go with the 61.5 dish. In fact, I did. Plans change, and are often delayed. Even for Dish. :rolleyes:

BTW, Euronews is on 61.5, 118 & 148 per this - different language choices on different satellites, but English is on all three. For those that don't know, Euronews is available for $1.99/month or $21.89 annually, per Dish.

Last edited:
I never noticed Euronews was in English. How did that happen? :D I thought all of the E* foreign channels were non-English. A few times I caught it on FTA but I'm pretty sure there was no English audio when I did.

Ah well, something else to subscribe to!

Before you subscribe, look at their web site. Then Wiki it and look under "criticisms." You might decide to save your money.

There are currently two E* satellites (Echostar 3 and Echostar 12) at 61.5 and they don't appear to be going anywhere.

For someone from your area, 61.5 is not an issue as you'll be looking to 129.

That orbital wont go away unless technology changes to allow a single satellite to carry all the programming that currently requires up to 5 satellites to provide.

Hey everybody. I just recently switched back to Dish Network, and I am interested in getting a 2nd dish for 61.5 to receive EuroNews. If I remember correctly, the fee is $100.

My problem is that the installer that came out to rehook up Dish Network said that within the next year or two, Dish Network will no longer be using the 61.5 degree location. Is this true? If so, will I get EuroNews on the 119 or 110 or the 129 location?

Thanks for the help.
Unless E* is going to move all the mirrored HD channels off 61.5 to another orbital slot that far northeast and the deep south can "see", then no.. I wouldn't worry about it...That installer, did he do the work?
Besides, what are you and all the other 61.5 customers supposed to do, sing mammy in Macy's window?..C'mon...If in the unlikely event E* does move their stuff out o fthe 61.5 slot, they will offer upgrades to all those customers..I will bet a good amount of coin on that....

In the installers defence there has been a rumour going around not just at the installer level but at various levels of management for 4 years that 61.5 was a year away from being shut down, it got pretty big prior to the 129 dish coming out.

As my daughter's ex-boyfriend, a logger, used to say:

"Remember, only you can prevent forests!"

;)

Thank you so much for all your help guys. The installer didn't refuse to put up the dish or anything. He just said that they were consolidating some things. Sounds like I may be able to get the upgrade for free though if I play the cards right. LOL.