61.5 Install/Replaced DP QUAD with DP TWIN

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Well, I just had my 61.5 installed for the Voom channels. The installer removed the Dishpro Quad I had for 110/119 and replaced it with a Dishpro Twin and used a Dish 500 with a Dishpro Dual for 61.5. He also added a DP 34 switch. The system works fine, but I do have a question. Why was the DP QUAD replaced with the DP Twin?

The quad would have two unused outputs. The twin now is fully used.

It's kind of like "6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other". He could have used the quad on another install, or perhaps the value of the quad was more to him than the twin.

The install could have been done with two SW21 switches which would have been less expensive.

The positive side is though, that with the DP34 switch, you are able to add an OTA antenna without changing the switch. With the DP34 the 3 sats and the OTA would feed up to 4 recievers through one cable for each.

So basically, you are set for more options in the future as long as a Legacy LNB or reciever is not involved.

Raddude said:
The install could have been done with two SW21 switches which would have been less expensive.

SW21 (which are legacy) switches are not compatible with DishPro equipment.

If he had a quad, more than likely there was more than 2 receivers involved.

So if they used DP21 switches, only 2 would be used.

I think you got a good deal :)

mdonnelly said:
Why couldn't he have kept the quad, and use that with the switch?

He could have. The quads seem to be worth more, and that's why I suspect he switched them out. Dish, the installer or his company could have made that decision.

Dish makes us RSP's deinstall the DPQuad and turn it in for RA, installing a DPTwin with the 34.

Why? It all has to do with the financials of it. The return of the DPQuad covers some of the cost of the DP34 and twin, making it cheaper than a DP34 by itself.

Say (I'm using made up numbers here) a DPQuad costs $99, A DPTwin costs $69, and a DP34 costs $79, and a DPDual costs $59.

Adding a DPDual and DP34 to the quad would cost $138.
Adding a DPDual, DPTwin and DP34 would cost $207 but subtract the cost of the DPQuad it costs $108.

Dish would give a credit to the company for returning that DPQuad, which it'll remanufacture and reship out to another install.

it's all about the almighty dollar.

JAL said:
How do you add OTA to the SW34 switch?
The DP34 has inputs for 3 sats and 1 OTA. Outputs for 4 receivers and outputs for 3 more DP switches and the OTA. So, you can cascade to multible switches and receivers.

Raddude said:
The DP34 has inputs for 3 sats and 1 OTA. Outputs for 4 receivers and outputs for 3 more DP switches and the OTA. So, you can cascade to multible switches and receivers.

Maybe the MicroRoyal DP34 switches but not the Dish Network DP34 switches. All they have is 3 inputs for three satellites.

It's not the MicroRoyal, it's a JVI that has an OTA input. Here is the link:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/JVI/35-DN34.htm

Attachments

• dp34.jpeg
    dp34.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 169
everybody keeps assuming he only had 2 outputs used

The OP hasn't said how many receivers he had.....if he had 3 receivers (or a dual tuner/single tuner) he would have needed 3 ports. Since the wing dish is a dual, either he would have had only 2 ports using both dishes or in this case (with some equipment swapping) all ports can see all 3 slots :)

I am having a 61.5 dish added to my superdish tomorrow 5.19.
From reading the forums, I assume that he will replace my switch so both dishes will feed into my current coax runs, so no other coax run will be needed?

Also, I have a pole bracket attached to the concrete of the house from an old directv install. Superdish is mounted on a pole in the yard, 18-inches infront of this bracket on the south side of the house.

Is the orientation for the 61.5 satellite dish (I assume a dish 500?) such that they may be able to mount it to that bracket that had the old directv line of sight?, and therefore be able to mount the dish behind & above my current superdish.

My wife is not happy with me getting a 2nd dish already. :rolleyes:

I currently have an 811 & a 522. 1-coax run to the 811 & 2 separate coax runs to the 522, from the superdish.

Dave nye said:
It's possible hard to say without seeing it. If you have a clear line of site at about a 90* angle to the south east of the Superdish you should be ok.

Thanks, hope so. I was concerned about having to do a 2nd coax too. My last run to the room with my 811, had to be fished up the wall by an electrician. Dish installer said they would only run it up the side of the house. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)