61.5 or 129???

Musky boy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Upgrading to high def. Currently have 105 superdish. Live in Central Illinois.

Which satellite should I point to for my additional high def....61.5 or 129? From what I understand, they mirror the national programming but have different local programming. If I can get a waiver from the local cbs, I would like to get cbs chicago which I believe is on 129.

Local installer talks like it is easier to pick up 61.5, but is pretty sure I should be able to get 129, its just that we might be on the edge of the footprint.

Local installer also says that the 105 programming is going to be moved to 110 or 119 in the near future. Is that true? If so, should I push for a 1000 dish now, pick up 110, 119 and 129 with it and point a single dish up to 105. That way in the future I could easily go back to only one dish?

Thanks

John:confused:

Dish will be abandoning 105 shortly after the successful deployment of E*10. The launch of this satellite is scheduled for about 3 hours from now. So your installer is correct about this. All channels on 105 will migrate to spot beams at 110/119/129. There will be a massive shuffle. For the most part it will be transparent to subscribers. Only the locals moving to 129 will affect subscribers and I am pretty sure there won't be too many of those.

Which satellite is "easier" to pick up is a matter of topography and your location. In Illinois the look angle for 61.5 is higher than 129, but other than that, it should be just as easy to pick up either sat barring obstructions like trees and hills (fat chance in central Ill :))

The HD local channels are currently NOT AVAILABLE OUTSIDE THEIR LOCAL DMA. The only exceptions are CBS HD from NYC at 61.5 and LA at 148. Yes 148, not 129. The Chicago HD networks are uplinked to 129, but will only be available to the Chicago local market when they are launched. This could change later, but there are no announced plans to make these channels available anywhere outside their area.

See ya
Tony

What satellite dish will be required to see the E*10 satellite? What will its location be in relationship to the others sats?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)