61.5 Outage in NE (NY)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nlk10010

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Nassau County NY
OK, so I come home ready to watch "So You Think You Can Dance" (local FOX) and my 211 is "trying to acquire satellite signal". I look at my 622, same thing. But certain other channels are OK. It looks like I'm not getting anything out of the 61.5 satellite.

It's one of two things: either my neighbor has discovered that the Dish techs put an extra LNBF in his 61.5 dish to feed my receivers and he's cut the cable, or Dish has a BIG problem with the 61.5 satellite in these parts.

Anyone else in this neck of the woods have a 61.5 (or any other type) of outage?

Just to make me feel better (hopefully).

Thanks.

=NLK=

Edit: Actually it looks like 119 isn't coming through either. So 110 appears to be the only one I'm receiving (at least I'm still getting RFD-TV)!

Last edited:
61.5 is coming in fine here on Central Connecticut.

However with that said I looked at the Doppler Radar and it may be something wearther related in your area (see the attached photo)

Attachments

• doppler.jpg
    doppler.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 169
I just called Dish and after giving them my Acct# I got an automated message that there was an outage in my area.

Of course they may do that to EVERYONE who requests tech support. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post a response, Scott, John.

=NLK=

I noticed that CBS-HD was out for at least 45 minutes on channel 9483 when Rock Star -Supernova when first came on. Thay even a full screen banner on the channel for a while about being N/A. I thought it was my receiver before the banner appeared so I did a reboot.

Upon further investigation, it turns out the NY locals and some HD; Starz, Vooms were gone. Other channels were on. This morning I get up and the locals are back but the Vooms and HD channels above 9424 aren't even in the OSG. It's not that they show and are. Red;THEY'RE NOT EVEN THERE!

Well, at least I'm still within the 30-day return period. :)

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
Upon further investigation, it turns out the NY locals and some HD; Starz, Vooms were gone. Other channels were on. This morning I get up and the locals are back but the Vooms and HD channels above 9424 aren't even in the OSG. It's not that they show and are. Red;THEY'RE NOT EVEN THERE!

Well, at least I'm still within the 30-day return period. :)

=NLK=

I've seen that before, do a soft reset and they usually come back.

garys said:
I've seen that before, do a soft reset and they usually come back.

Thanks, but I already did that (this morning). I thought the channels had come back and the receiver hadn't picked them up. But no go (I was going to post an addendum to my previous message to that effect but couldn't do an edit from my PDA).

Appreciate the effort to help me out; unfortunately, unless someone from the NY area chimes in and says they are having the same problems I'm going to have to have them come out and take a look. Doesn't augur well for my future with E*.

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
It's one of two things: either my neighbor has discovered that the Dish techs put an extra LNBF in his 61.5 dish to feed my receivers and he's cut the cable, or Dish has a BIG problem with the 61.5 satellite in these parts.

So the tech came and set you up off the neighbors 61.5 dish without asking the neighbor?

SatinKzo said:
So the tech came and set you up off the neighbors 61.5 dish without asking the neighbor?

Uh, yes.

You have to understand. There were three techs there that day, a number of other things were going on and the chimney (shared with the neighbor) already had the neighbors two dishes (110/119 & 61.5) and the tech had just mounted MY 110&119 dish (where my old D* Phase III was). In fact the first tech had actually mounted a plate for the fourth dish but then decided to put an LNB into my neighbor's 61.5. When I questioned the supervisor his response was to the effect that it was E*'s property and they could do what they wanted with the dish, and besides there was no room for another 61.5 (I can't tell if there is or not). When I thought about it his claim made SOME sense as it's possible E* just leases or lends the dishes to people and E* techs are free to use them as they see fit. Besides, it was clear that there were no common wires or LNBs, they were using the neighbor's dish just as a carrier. I wasn't going to argue; if the neighbor complained I'd tell E* they had to put up another dish.

To follow-up I spoke with a decent E* tech who indicated there were no outages so when I go home I'm going to pull the plug AND the satellite in coaxes from my receivers and restart them that way. If no go they'll have to send out a tech, at which point I might revisit the shared dish issue.

Look, I've asked for help on this site many times. If you or anyone knowledgeable in this area feel that it would be within my rights (and preferable) to get E* out here again to put up a separate dish I'd certainly consider it strongly.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

=NLK=

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're OK until your neighbor cancels his service and perhaps they pull the 61.5 equipment without knowing you're connected. That shouldn't happen, but stranger things have! I'm not saavy enough with the LNBFs to venture a guess as to which one is currently in use (DPP Twin?) and whether or not either receiver/switch can power it. Assuming both you and your neighbor are paying for service from 61.5 then there should be no legal issues sharing a dish if E* actually owns it, and there shouldn't be any technical reasons other than the powering question why a second dish would serve better. If your neighbor owns the dish and/or the LNBF that was replaced, all bets are off!

All that said, if I were in your situation I would make sure my neighbor knew about his siamese twin in case he has a problem or changes service, and I would make sure E* has a note in my file (and the neighbor's?) describing the situation for future reference...

Last edited:
I think that's probably good advice. I'll talk to my neighbor and Dish. This way, if he wants me to get a separate dish and E* gives me problems I can back out of the whole thing.

I really don't know from DPP Twin, Pro, Dishpro or any of that stuff. I was just assured that my neighbor's and my signals were completely separate.

Thanks for the post.

=NLK=

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts