61.5 Question

bpickell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
I have done searches and I am coming up empty. I keep seeing people refering to 61.5 and I have no clue what it is. Is it a Satellite, a dish, or what? If it is a dish, what kind 61.5 inches in diameter? I'm so confused.

It's not in the glossary either.

It's a satellite location that currently has the VOOM programming on it (among other things).
Tom in TX

It's the same as 110, 119, and 148: all refer to different satellite locations (birds) that broadcast E* content.

61.5 is not viewable by those in the extreme west of the US (Hawaii, Alaska, & some areas of WA, OR, and CA) so much of the content is mirrored onto 148, which can be seen by those of us who have a hard time seeing 61.5.

Alas, the powers that be at E* haven't mirrored the Voom stuff on 148, limiting the availability of the extra HD content. That gets a double boo-hoo from me. :( x2

Thanks for all the replies, this has been very confusing. I kept hearing that you need 61.5 to get VOOM. But no one ever said what it was. I thought it was a satellite, but when they say it that way it almost sounds like a dish.

61.5° is the orbital position of the satellite (see http:ekb.dbstalk.com/300). A dish pointed at that satellite can be referred to as a 61.5 dish. So it is a dish and it is the location of a satellite. Since both pieces are needed that gets reduced to "you need 61.5 to get VOOM."