61.5 Transponder 1

bytre

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
I hooked up my 61.5 dish last night - an old directv dish with a dual LNB. I'm on the west coast (Southern California), and happened to have an open spot in the eastern horizon. I hung the dish, wired it up, and pointed it in the general direction per a poorly functioning compass. I was floored when I went inside, did a switch check, and found I had 70 - 100 signal strength on 61.5!

Anyway, I ordered the voom channels today, but don't get three of them - all on transponder 1. If I go into the point dish / signal meter in setup, I don't get the option of selecting transponder 1 on 61.5.

What's with my setup, or is Dish having problems with transponder 1? Would I be able to get good strength on other transponders and just fail on 1, or a cabling problem, or...?

Anyone have any guidance?

This was a 921.

This evening, all the channels were fine, without me messing with it.

I'm having no problems with my 921 receiving the TR1 channels. bytre - can you not set the 921 point dish screen to TR1 on your 921? That may be an addition to the beta that I'm running.

I can not select any odd transponder below 25 (for 61.5), or 24.

I get: 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,25-32

I am having the problem this morning again where I can't get the three voom channels on transponder 1. My other channels are all good.

try to update your software. see if that helps. Power off the rcvr and wait, in about 2-5 minutes a screen should pop up on the tv saying that it's updating software.

When I was aligning my 61.5 dish Saturday, I couldn't get anything, wife suddenly switched to transponder 14 and 109 percent signal strength.

This may be a stupid idea, but if you have any trees anywhere near the LOS, it's possible a single branch is blocking the LOS for that transponder intermittently. This is exactly what happened to me when I got my 6000 and hooked up my second dish to see 61.5. I could peak my signal strength on some transponders and others wouldn't even show up. It ended up I had to completely move the dish to a new location on the other side of the house.

I've got the current software on my 921, that isn't the problem.

It could be a tree or branch, certainly. 61.5 is very low on the horizon for me. I would think that I'd lose signal on all transponders if something blocked it though.

E* has not updated the signal strength screen to allow you to choose 61.5's low odd transponders. The receiver can still TUNE to those transponders - and HD receivers can get Voom channels - but the diagnostic signal strength is not yet available.

JL

bytre said:
61.5 is very low on the horizon for me. I would think that I'd lose signal on all transponders if something blocked it though.

That's what I used to think as well, but the right thing can actually just block a transponder rather than the whole signal.

I've always been told that E* only used the even transponders on 61.5 and leases out the odds. So when I go to point at it I need to make sure my meter is set for 18v.

mudder1310 said:
I've always been told that E* only used the even transponders on 61.5 and leases out the odds. So when I go to point at it I need to make sure my meter is set for 18v.
That's pre-Voom, and AFAIK they didn't own the rights to the odd ones anyway.

mudder1310 said:
E* only holds licence to 11 transponders, all even, from 2 to 22. They are using most of those. E* also operates on even and odd transponders from 25-32. Those higher transponders are licensed to SkyAngel, but E* has the rights to use #26-31 for their own programming (with certain restrictions). E* customers have been using odd transponders and E* has been transmitting on them for years.

Pre-Voom (2003) E* also used some of the lower odd transponders temporarily until Rainbow launched their satellite and was able to get their service up.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)