612 install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dsmattin

Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
I have a vip612 install scheduled for friday. Will a hdmi cable be provided and will another feed be run or is a diplexer used?

I am getting a 612 installed tomorrow and I seriously doubt that an HDMI would be provided. In my past experience they would never even provide a component cable let a lone an HDMI. Maybe you will get lucky. I would assume that a diplexer would be used just as it is on the 622 which I happen to also have. There should be no reason to have to run another feed. Good Luck!

I received my 612 last Saturday and it did not come with HDMI, but did come with an 8 ft. Component video cable. I purchased a 15 ft. HDMI cable @ Fry's Electronics and have my Living Room tv connected with it. Also if you guys run into freezing issues with this unit, such as I and others have, don't hesitate to call Dish immediately so that a proper database can be compiled and a bug fix can be formulated and issued promptly. Not to say that everybody is having issues with their 612, but from what I've heard and seen there are quite a few units that freeze up when transitioning between the Guide menu and live broadcasts, as well as when navigating through DVR recorded material. Also if you run into a problem with the UHF remote supplied with your 612, check out the manual on exactly how to switch it from RF to IR as I have done and this should solve any issues. The procedure is located on page 62 of the 612 manual.

This may sound like the 612 is riddled with problems but hiccups like this are always present when new devices are first released and because we are the first ones to own them consider us informal beta testers! ;) Also, as stated in my previous thread I own (2) VIP612's and the one in my bedroom (connected to a 27" analog Sony tv) has not had any of the freezing problems my Living Room unit (connected to a 60" Sony HDTV) has had. Don't know for sure if it's to do with HD processing or HDMI or what. I plan on switching the units to see if this may be the case and will post further on my findings here.

Good Luck!

I just had a vip612 system installed on 4/3/08 and really like the picture quality, but the fan on the 612 is really annoying and it bothers my wife. The fact that the fan runs all the time is a real pain.
Does the fan noise bother anyone?
I should mention that Im using HDMI with no problems so far.

Last edited:
If you can hear the fan running all the time then there is a problem. You should not be able to hear the fan in normal operation. The extra fan only turns on when it reboots and when it is too hot. Are you keeping the receiver in an inclosed area? What are the temps on your receiver?

The receiver sits in the open on a glass shelf with nothing around it. I can hear the extra fan when booting up, but once booted and in normal operation the extra cooling fan shuts down.
The cooling fan that runs during normal operation seems loud (louder than the fan on my dell computer) and can just barley be heard over the audio when watching TV. At night we turn the power switch off to the 612 and the fan runs all the time. Very annoying in a quiet room. According to Dish Tech this is normal operation. They are sending another 612 to replace this one and maybe it will be quieter, but I doubt it.
I don't know the temps, but the left side is warm, but but not overly warm or hot.

The replacement Vip612 arrived Wed and was installed and the noisy fan problem is gone. One can not hear a sound unless you put your ear next to it.
Lakebum, thanks.

Dish is fully aware of the freezing problem with the 612, (I've called them twice already), and tech support tells me that the engineers just had a meeting about it a couple of days ago, and a software update is right around the corner. You know, "soon". Suprisingly, I couldn't get them to narrow it down anymore than that.

I was told today an update will be ready by next weekend. told them thank you and went had a few grains of salt. :rolleyes:

Dish is fully aware of the freezing problem with the 612, (I've called them twice already), and tech support tells me that the engineers just had a meeting about it a couple of days ago, and a software update is right around the corner. You know, "soon". Suprisingly, I couldn't get them to narrow it down anymore than that.

Sent an e-mail to retail services asking about problems with 612 when used with HDMI cables. The reply was that I would receive an answer when a solution was determined. No time frame noted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)