612 Requirements

Zero327

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
The Emerald City
Alrighty kids, new rules.

1. You can only lease a 612 as part of a new installation if the customer ALSO leases a 622 or 722 model receiver. (To my knowledge they aren't available for purchase as with all other new releases.) You may NOT lease a 612 alone.

2. Existing customers as part of a DIU ($99 up front) aren't held to this requirement. They can upgrade to one with an additional 24 month contract extension unless I'm mistaken (don't think it's 18, almost positive it's not.) There will almost definately be an amount per account restriction.

3. First person to demand two or they'll cancel will experience "technical difficulties"...

Question it, criticize it, but it is what it is. Enjoy.

Zero327-

I actually talked to a CSR last night about upgrading my 508 to a 612. He said I couldn't DIU because I just did that (625 to 622) in August. Ok, that's fine. But, he told me I'd have to wait until August and gave me no other option (such as naming a cost to upgrade NOW without DIU).

Just seemed kinda strange. By August I'll be constructing a new woodworking shop and will probably have forgotten all about upgrading that 508. :)

Zero327-

I actually talked to a CSR last night about upgrading my 508 to a 612. He said I couldn't DIU because I just did that (625 to 622) in August. Ok, that's fine. But, he told me I'd have to wait until August and gave me no other option (such as naming a cost to upgrade NOW without DIU).

Just seemed kinda strange. By August I'll be constructing a new woodworking shop and will probably have forgotten all about upgrading that 508. :)

CSRs have no option outside of the DIU promotion in which to upgrade you to a 612. The computer system forbids it. After August, the computer will allow it again which is why you received that response.

This is the part where someone will chime in to send out five million e-mails... Keep in mind that most of the problems that came during the 722 launch was due to people who weren't eligible to upgrade or be installed with the newest equipment trying to get around the rules to acquire equipment. If people are smarter this time (doubt it) there will be enough of these to go around after a month or two. Not holding my breath on that one though.

So.... and I'm not trying to be snarky or anything... I just want to understand this.... on a regular day-to-day basis. Let's say DIU does not exist (and for me right now it doesn't)... there is no way to upgrade old equipment? Or are you simply saying that the CSRs have no way to do this and that if I perhaps went to my local retailer , THEY could do an equipment upgrade?

I won't be emailing anyone. :) And I'm in no rush. I guess I didn't know that CSRs couldn't do regular equipment upgrades.

Most dish receivers are available for purchase as well as lease(ie dish n it up)but there may be an exception with the 612 since it actually has not been released yet. I would say wait a few weeks then call again and ask about purchasing a 612 receiver as we were told that 622s were no longer available and a 722 is going to cost you close to $500 to purchase new.

Alrighty kids, new rules.

1. You can only lease a 612 as part of a new installation if the customer ALSO leases a 622 or 722 model receiver. (To my knowledge they aren't available for purchase as with all other new releases.) You may NOT lease a 612 alone.

2. Existing customers as part of a DIU ($99 up front) aren't held to this requirement. They can upgrade to one with an additional 24 month contract extension unless I'm mistaken (don't think it's 18, almost positive it's not.) There will almost definately be an amount per account restriction.

3. First person to demand two or they'll cancel will experience "technical difficulties"...

Question it, criticize it, but it is what it is. Enjoy.

Everything is a 24 month committment now isn't it. I thought as of yesterday Dish got rid of the 18 month and bumped it back up to 24 months?

Everything is a 24 month committment now isn't it. I thought as of yesterday Dish got rid of the 18 month and bumped it back up to 24 months?

Pretty much. There might be a few outstanding items which is why I'm unsure where the 612 falls. But if it's not already at 24, everything will be soon.

I'm pretty sure any new account started as of yesterday or DIU done as of yesterday falls under a 24 month committment

Most dish receivers are available for purchase as well as lease(ie dish n it up)but there may be an exception with the 612 since it actually has not been released yet. I would say wait a few weeks then call again and ask about purchasing a 612 receiver as we were told that 622s were no longer available and a 722 is going to cost you close to $500 to purchase new.

Claude? Will you be selling them?

Called Dish today about the 612

I called Dish today since I was not eligible for the Dishn it up until yesterday. I am going to replace one of my 211's with the 612. It is only costing me $25 for the install. I really need a 612 for my basement and I figure for $25 what the heck

Someething strange on dish web site, I was going to upgrade my 721 to a 612 it says $75 for 612 installed no ship? but I can get a 622 for $50 shipp or a 722 for $75 shipp. If they will ship me a 622 or 722 why not a 612???

Zero, could you explain what the "technical difficulties" would be in your last line of the OP? Do you mean- "Dial Tone"? I figured as much. :)

How do you know this (technical difficulties will result from threats to canel)? And this is the point of my post; are CSR taught this as a means to deal with threatening customers?

Now for a general question; why would anyone want to lease a 612 over a 622 or 722? The 612 is a feature stripped version of the x22! Outside of the price of admission being perhaps more attractive for the 612, the 612 could theoretically drive four separate HDTVs and keep within the silly "only four tuners per account" rule. Is this the true reason behind the 612?

I am swapping a 211 for the 612. No phone requirement and counts as only 1 receiver. Never use PIP on my 622. I will connect a SD tv and viewing the same channel has never been a problem with the 211. This receiver will be mainly used by the spouse who is not tech savy. Example: First time I brought the laptop to the couch after I set up WiFi. "How did you do that?" I try to keep it simple.

Now for a general question; why would anyone want to lease a 612 over a 622 or 722? The 612 is a feature stripped version of the x22! Outside of the price of admission being perhaps more attractive for the 612, the 612 could theoretically drive four separate HDTVs and keep within the silly "only four tuners per account" rule. Is this the true reason behind the 612?[/quote]

I was thinking the 612 is single out and my not need a ph line, just like the 721 and 921.
The dual out 522/625/622/722 m ust have ph line. I do not have a ph line where I want to use the 612

Zero, could you explain what the "technical difficulties" would be in your last line of the OP? Do you mean- "Dial Tone"? I figured as much. :)

How do you know this (technical difficulties will result from threats to canel)? And this is the point of my post; are CSR taught this as a means to deal with threatening customers?

Zero is known for sabotaging the accounts of people who piss him off on the phone. Cancelling accounts, putting them up for audit, putting blocks on there so the customer can't ever get service again, etc.

My 612 is being installed Saturday. DIU cost me $75 and a 24 month commitment. Early term fee is $240, prorated monthly, so even if I leave early, that's not bad.

LGB

Zero is known for sabotaging the accounts of people who piss him off on the phone. Cancelling accounts, putting them up for audit, putting blocks on there so the customer can't ever get service again, etc.
And how do you know this ? Do you know his real name, job, etc ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)