612 Splitting shows in to multiple parts

jfkittredge

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I couldn't find a similar thread elsewhere on the board, so I hope I'm not duplicating a previous question.

A couple of times now, I have noticed that my 612 DVR has split recorded programs in to several pieces. Last night, for example, I recorded Fringe, from 7 to 8 pm. When I came back later in the evening, I found that the program had been split as follows:

1 recording from 6:59-7:22pm
1 recording from 7:31-7:53pm
1 recording from 7:56-8pm

So, not only was the program split in to chunks, but I didn't even get the whole thing recorded. As far as I can tell, I didn't do anything that would have caused a conflict. I had one other show recording between 7:30 and 8pm, but it recorded just fine. Additionally, I was out of the house the whole time and didn't have the TV on or any other programs (pre-recorded or otherwise) playing.

This problem seems to happen a couple of times a week, and it's starting to drive me batty. Does anyone have any insight?

You might want to check your satellite signal strengths.

Some note of the source of the programming in question would help us tell you what satellite slots to pursue. For example, if both of the programs were on local channels, the problem may be different than if one were national and the other was local.

Both were locals - one was the local Fox channel (the one that got split in to parts) and the other was the local NBC channel. I have had shows recorded from National stations split up, too, though. Sunday's Dexter (on Showtime), for example, was split in to three recordings, and it was the only thing being recorded at that time.

Another possibility, since you say you weren't around when it happened is a household power interruption.
Or if your DVR did a spontaneous reboot for any reason.

I have had the same thing happen during a storm when the power would drop for a second and the DVR would need to rescan the satellites. The DVR would start a new recording when it fully came back on line.

This also happens when the DVR overheats and subsequently reboots. The 3-minute window between segments makes this appear even more likely. Do you have ANYTHING blocking airflow to the DVR? These things hate cabinets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts