616 has not fixed sleep issue with seagate,but...

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
Just got 616 last night and checked out the sleep bug for seagates, no change. The good news is you can still make copy's from your EHD back to 722 or 622. I just did it to confirm. if your interested here's the way
1. wait till ehd is in sleep mode, you can set it to go to sleep in as little as 3 minutes with the freeagent utilities program.
2. choose what show or shows that you want to copy
3. restore shows back to 622 or 722
4. exit out of ehd when done or when asked if you want to play transfers click yes and play them.
5. play each show copied for a few seconds,you need to do this to complete the transfer.

After that you will have a copy on your EHD and your VIP. To get the ehd back to normal just unplug power and plug back in. As far as I know this still only works with the seagate drives.
Ive been doing this since this feature was started, here is the link. :up
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ake-copys-ext-hard-drive-back-your-622-a.html

Fix is downloable from Seagate

Seagate has a fix posted on their web site. It's a firmware setting within the hard drive and I can't see Dish publishing a firmware fix for a Seagate product. Western Digital posted the fix for their drives, so why would you think Dish is going to publish one for Seagate?

But, if you really think Dish is going to publish a firmware fix for a Seagate drive, then I have some ocean front property in Arizona I can sell to you at a reasonable price!

Thanks for the info. I may update one of my drives and leave the other as is, I still find it useful to make copies of drm stuff once in awhile for my pocket dish.

L616 invalidated my USB Seagate drive

My 622 was updated to L616 yesterday or today. I can no longer see my attached 400G Seagate drive. When I tried powering the drive down and back again, I received a message that the attached device is not supported by Dish (my drive has been in use since the beginning of USB drive support). I powered the 622 down and back again. This caused a message to pop up stating that a new USB drive had been attached and would need to be formatted before use. The drive was full of unwatched video (5G still available) so I am not interested in reformatting the drive to "fix" the problem. I called Dish service and filed a problem report and reformatting was their only suggestion other than waiting for a problem fix to be found.

Seagate has a fix posted on their web site. It's a firmware setting within the hard drive and I can't see Dish publishing a firmware fix for a Seagate product. Western Digital posted the fix for their drives, so why would you think Dish is going to publish one for Seagate?

Is this a specific fix for Freeagent drives hooked up to Dish DVRs? Or is this what other threads here have discussed about using the software to disable sleep mode? Do you have a link on Seagate's site?

My 622 was updated to L616 yesterday or today. I can no longer see my attached 400G Seagate drive. When I tried powering the drive down and back again, I received a message that the attached device is not supported by Dish (my drive has been in use since the beginning of USB drive support). I powered the 622 down and back again. This caused a message to pop up stating that a new USB drive had been attached and would need to be formatted before use. The drive was full of unwatched video (5G still available) so I am not interested in reformatting the drive to "fix" the problem. I called Dish service and filed a problem report and reformatting was their only suggestion other than waiting for a problem fix to be found.

I had this problem...and there is a work around to deleting all your shows. Search the site....

FreeAgent Sleep Fix

Is this a specific fix for Freeagent drives hooked up to Dish DVRs? Or is this what other threads here have discussed about using the software to disable sleep mode? Do you have a link on Seagate's site?

Go to the Seagate web site @ Seagate Technology and search the Knowledge Base for 'freeagent sleep' and then select the link appropriate for your model. Seagate has even posted a Flash video specifically demonstrating how to set the FreeAgent to "Never" sleep.

This "FIX" has been posted on the Seagate web site for many months!

This "fix" doesn't care what the drive is hooked up to, it is a modification to the drive's firmware setting the 'sleep' time! A Dish DVR has absolutely NOTHING to do with the drive's 'sleep' mode!!

Go to the Seagate web site @ Seagate Technology and search the Knowledge Base for 'freeagent sleep' and then select the link appropriate for your model. Seagate has even posted a Flash video specifically demonstrating how to set the FreeAgent to "Never" sleep.

This "FIX" has been posted on the Seagate web site for many months!

This "fix" doesn't care what the drive is hooked up to, it is a modification to the drive's firmware setting the 'sleep' time! A Dish DVR has absolutely NOTHING to do with the drive's 'sleep' mode!!

This isn't a fix, its a workaround.

I have two Seagate FreeAgent drives and a Western Digital MyBook. I use one of the FreeAgents and the MyBook with my 622s. After a period of inactivity, both drives go to sleep (i.e. they stop spinning).

The problem is the receiver cannot wake the FreeAgent drive but has no problems with the MyBook. This does seem to be a problem with the receiver because both drives behave as expected when connected to a PC (i.e. both drives go to sleep, and both drives are easily woken up).

IT IS A FIX!

This isn't a fix, its a workaround.

I have two Seagate FreeAgent drives and a Western Digital MyBook. I use one of the FreeAgents and the MyBook with my 622s. After a period of inactivity, both drives go to sleep (i.e. they stop spinning).

The problem is the receiver cannot wake the FreeAgent drive but has no problems with the MyBook. This does seem to be a problem with the receiver because both drives behave as expected when connected to a PC (i.e. both drives go to sleep, and both drives are easily woken up).

It's not a work around, it's a fix. The DVRs don't have the capability to "wake up" a FreeAgent drive, so you set the drive to never go to sleep and you eliminate the problem! This was Seagate's solution. Apparently there is something different in the Seagate drive compared to the Western Digital drive.

I held off on this "fix" or "workaround" or whatever you want to call it, because I felt the sleep mode was a good feature to extend the life of the drive. It's there for a reason. I was hoping 6.16 would address it, but didn't put a whole lot of faith in that woman on the last Charlie Chat who said "I think the next update will fix it" because she sounded like she was just assuming.

Anyway, after 6.16 failed to fix it, I finally said "screw it" and disabled sleep. Drive works great now. I try to turn it off when I won't be using it for a while (I have it plugged into an outlet I can shut off with a wall switch). But I will always wonder how long before the drive fails.

Can you apply the firmware "Fix" after the EHD has programs from Dish on them? I have a Seagate and a few WD's I would like to turn off the sleep function. Do I need to clear off the recorded programs first or is it safe to do with them already used?

you don't have to do a firmware update if you just want the drive to not go to sleep. download the freeagent tools app and connect your drive to your computer, open utilities and set sleep to never. You won't lose any programs.

622 software version(L622) with external seagate freeagent 750gb
i downloaded the seagate freeagent tools app via seagate.com
I left my shows on there as i had 99 hd movies
installed freeagent app to my pc unhooked seagate ehd from 622 and hooked it up to my pc
ran freeagent tools and changed sleep from 15 minutes to never
problem fixed my seagate ehd never sleeps now and has access to it 24/7

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The shock of starting and stopping the drive might be worse than the constant operation, wear and tear wise. Long discussed, not sure there is a definitive answer.

With a mtbf of 100,000 hours that would be 11 years of constant use.

Failure rate does not start to curve upward intil after 5 years of use.

That does not mean your new drive won't die in the first year, just that the odds of failure remain flat until after 5 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts