622 16:9 anamorphic on tv2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I know that it probably as been posted but realistically I don't have all day to read all the post so here is my question:
I have two hdtv's. I know I can only get hd for one tv but will the second (s-video or coax) output for a 16:9 tv? Meaning will the image on my second hdtv be widescreen and fill the screen or not? Is there a setting that asks what is the aspect ratio for the second tv? Will it output it in anamorphic format? I just want to watch things in the 16:9 format without stretching it or zooming in on it. Thank you.

Actually yes, the only way to watch HD downconverted on TV2 is anamorphic (i.e. it's not letterboxed), so you're all set

so...

So your saying that on my second hdtv the signal will be sent as anamorphic widescreen (squished on a 4:3 set)? Is there an option that asks what the format (16:9 or 4:3) for tv2?

no it comes 4:3. standard is shown as normal and 16x9 is squished.

but on a 16x9 if you have your TV set to wide 4x3 will be stretched and 16x9 will look normal

BFG said:
no it comes 4:3. standard is shown as normal and 16x9 is squished.

but on a 16x9 if you have your TV set to wide 4x3 will be stretched and 16x9 will look normal

Does this mean there is a way to output anamorphic images of high definition programs to a DVD recorder? I have made anamorphic DVD's with my 921 and want to know if it can be done with the 622.

This is the third time I have asked this question on different threads and I have not gotten an answer. Will someone please clarify this. Thank You

Last edited:
Yes that's what this means. Since they don't letterbox the picture on TV2, it comes 4x3 compressed (which is how anamorphic DVDs are made)

BFG said:
Yes that's what this means. Since they don't letterbox the picture on TV2, it comes 4x3 compressed (which is how anamorphic DVDs are made)

Thank you for the reply. Now I am wondering how the hook up would be. With the 921, I have the "S" out of the 921 going to the "S" input of the DVD recorder. I set it for 480i and 16 X9. Could you tell me what options there would be with the 622? Of course I am using a standard definition DVD recorder (Toshiba RD-XS32).

TV2 has composite and coaxial.

TV1 has the svideo as well but now I'll have to look up how TV1 SD outputs work

BFG said:

Sounds like I could connect it to my DVD recorder with coaxial and leave the channel of the DVD player on 3 but that probably is not a good idea. So thank you for checking the TV1 output for possible anamorphic image output. I don't have component inputs on my DVD recorder. Thank you again.

Maybe Scott can tell us but I think TV1 SD works the same way where everything is 4x3 and cannot be formatted

BFG said:

I just noticed you said composite (not component). Composite will work with the DVD recorder. If the quality is about as good as the "S" video out of the 921 I will be very pleased. I should have a leased 622 within the next day or two with an install of 2/28/06. This sounds like good news. A lot of good information on this thread. I will have an HD television in the bedroom where the 921 will go. I just won't get all of the new channels but perhaps a coaxial lead from TV2 will allow an anamorphic view of these channels. I have a DVD recorder in there as well.

It some what regrettable that the 622 won't output HD to a second television but its no big deal. Too bad their is no work around.

This is a major flaw, BTW.

TV2 should not be anamorphic only, but either letterbox only, or be selectable.

By doing it this way, any recorded HDTV content is basically only watchable on widescreen TVs.

That means if you record an HD program, you have to be sure you will have time to watch it on your HD set. For those of us with only 1 HDTV, it's kind of a PITA.

It is such a SIMPLE endeavor for the 622 to be programmed to letterbox TV2 and do anamorphic on TV1. It's shear laziness that they aren't doing this, assuming people here have it right.

Ray S said:
I just noticed you said composite (not component). Composite will work with the DVD recorder. If the quality is about as good as the "S" video out of the 921 I will be very pleased. I should have a leased 622 within the next day or two with an install of 2/28/06. This sounds like good news. A lot of good information on this thread. I will have an HD television in the bedroom where the 921 will go. I just won't get all of the new channels but perhaps a coaxial lead from TV2 will allow an anamorphic view of these channels. I have a DVD recorder in there as well.

It some what regrettable that the 622 won't output HD to a second television but its no big deal. Too bad their is no work around.

Double check that with Scott or someone who has 2 HD sets with component and HDMI capability because they say both HD feeds are live all the time, but you would be watching the same shows on both TV's if that is your setup.

Ray S said:
Does this mean there is a way to output anamorphic images of high definition programs to a DVD recorder? I have made anamorphic DVD's with my 921....

How are you doing it? I also have a 921 & a Toshiba recorder.....I output 480i and 16x9 but the picture is boxed on all sides when I play on my 61" DLP TV. I don't get a widescreen output on the standard def output from the receiver. Would love to know how you are doing it so my DVD's that I record will be widescreen. What is your setup on the screen display on your recorder?

Thanks!

I have ordered the 622. I have a DVD recorder with HDMI output and component (input/output). I was planning on using outputting the 622 HDMI to my TV (two HDMI inputs) and outputting the Component to my DVD recorder. I know it will not record in HD, but the component s/b much better than composite. Are there any problems you see with this set-up?

Also, will I have to adjust my resolution setting on the 622 or will the DVD downconvert?

The trick w/ anamorphic DVD recording, as far as I've run across, is getting the DVD recorder to manually set the anamorphic flag when it records. Most set-top recorders don't...so you could input the anamorphic video just fine but the disc you burn won't play correctly on, say, another set-top or your computer, etc.

I've been making great anamorphic HD-downrez recordings from my 942 to a Sony set-top DVD recorder for a year now (and was doing the same from my V* box prior). I use the SD composite out from the 942 (had S-video on the V* box, grrr) on its TV1 output set. The Sony recorders and I think there's a Pioneer model or two are the rarities when it comes to anamorphic flag flexibility. No probs/complaints here...and the recordings will, I imagine, look even better on the new Sony models w/ component in and a 622 w/ component/s-video out.

Don't ask me why more recorder manufacturers don't make manually setting the anamorphic flag a standard feature. To be honest, I just got lucky when I bought my recorder (used it for anamorphic recording right away, but didn't know it was a rare "feature" until months later on the various AV boards), but I'd be PO'ed had I bought another model only to discover it was crippled in this respect.

Last edited:
So if it cuts the sides off then it is NOT anamorphic out on tv2. So is it squished anamorphic or does it cut the sides off? It can only be one or the other if it is not selectable.

Can we get a solid answer here. Here is my question again, So if it cuts the sides off then it is NOT anamorphic out on tv2. So is it squished anamorphic or does it cut the sides off? It can only be one or the other if it is not selectable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)