622/722 Cooling Question ???

cire50

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I know there were some cooling issues with the 622/722 depending on your system setup in cabinets .... my question is ... is it better to pull the hot air out of the left side vents or blow cool air in them ??? I've seen both suggested in other threads. I plan on hooking 1 or 2 quiet thermal sensing case fans up and setting them next to or attaching them to the side of my 722.

I had heat issues until I put a fan blowing out of the back of the cabinet, that seemed to solve it. I also had to put a hole in my cabinet below the receiver for the fan to suck 'fresh' air in, in order to blow the hot air out (sounded like the fan was straining to keep up before I did that).

I did try a number of things before that which may have helped some but didn't fully resolve the issue until I did the above (like the laptop cooler under the receiver, moving other electronic equipment and shelves as far away from the receiver as possible, and putting the receiver on it's own metal shelf with holes in it to allow more airflow).

I used this fan, very quiet with the cabinet front door closed: HomeTheaterCooling.com The Professionally Quiet Fan

I put a fan on the left side to suck air out. The HDD temp now stays at about 97 degrees.

Did you attach it to the side or just have it sitting next to it and what size did you use ?? I plan on using a 80mm on the side, then putting another 80mm or a 120mm at top of cabinet to pull all the hot air out the back.

Having the fan less than 1/2 inch from the unit increases noise probably from cavitation (fan volume exceeds delivery volume of outlet holes.

Why mess with any of it, the units have their own fan and my average temp is 114 degrees F. It is two years old and has no no problems. I have never heard my fan kick on unless it is so quiet I do not hear it.

That's the problem. It seems the components on the board will get hot enough to cause damage before the internal fan will ever turn on.

The temp sensor in the hard drive is only part of it, there's no sensor on the tuner and decompression chips for example. Some of that stuff gets hot enough to cause painful burns if you touch it. Anything at all you can do to make it run cooler will be helpful.

Actually, there is a chip what measure temperature, power lines, etc; but it pretty far from HDD and sit on PCB level - not too much help for measure external temperature, plus modern HDD keep temp reading in SMART register.
It will be interesting to see how often SW ask to read SMART values.

I'd love to strap some decent heatsinks to the broadcom chips but since my 622 is leased, I'm sure that the fan on the left side pulling air out of the receiver is my most reasonable solution.

I think these receivers might be made by the same group that built all the first generation XBox 360's.

I'd love to strap some decent heatsinks to the broadcom chips but since my 622 is leased, I'm sure that the fan on the left side pulling air out of the receiver is my most reasonable solution.

I think these receivers might be made by the same group that built all the first generation XBox 360's.

Nobody will noticed that - first units came with heatsinks, btw.
I'll do it with leased box.

Nope, same mentality - yes. Or same level of missed knowledge.

Nobody will noticed that - first units came with heatsinks, btw.
I'll do it with leased box.

Nope, same mentality - yes. Or same level of missed knowledge.

How would you anchor the heatsinks? Just press them on with some arctic paste? Or, is there a heatsink type contact cement?

Edit: Found some info on thermal tape and thermal epoxy. Even a few using J-B Weld! :eek:

Last edited:
How does this look? Stick it on with some thermal tape?

vid-84_2.jpg

Im going to put a fan in my entertainment center. I just insatalled it over last weekend. Had it above my AV Reciever and was watching the boxing match ppv. In the second fight I got a message saying my reciever was too hot and listed 148 degrees!!! I freaked. Had to move it to the other side, but I am keeping the front glass open util I can get a fan installed. The one posted above is too freaking expensive.

Well I think I've got a plan. I purchased 3 - Vantec
Stealth 80mm fans and a AC power supply (adjustable). Plan is to use one fan(with filter) to force air in the right side and one to pull air out the left side, put 4 - 1" rubber spacers under unit and finally mount 3rd fan in back of cabinet to blow fresh air under receiver !!??

Work ?? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)