622/722 Woes

maximum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Phoenix
A few weeks ago I finally decided to upgrade my 625 to an HD receiver to take advantage of the free HD for life. The technician showed up with a 622 receiver even though I was told I would be getting a 722k when I ordered. He said they were all out of the 722.

So we used the 622 for a few weeks until I got tired of occasional black screens and audo sync problems. I called customer support and they sent me another 622. Right out of the box it had audio sync problems too. After talking with advanced support they decided to send a tech out because they felt it was a reception issue. :confused:

The technician came out the same afternoon and rolled his eyes when I told him what the CSR said. He went ahead and replaced the LNB and also happened to have a 722k on the truck. Good news since I wanted the 722k anyway. :)

Next day the 722 started having audio sync problems again. At this point I've resigned to the fact that they all have this problem. But it didn't end there. A few hours later the 722 started going to a green screen then rebooting itself. It would do this over and over every few minutes or so until the screen went completely black. After a few attempts to revive via unplugging for a few minutes I called tech support again and they're sending another 722. This will be my third receiver in less than a week and my fourth in less than a month.:mad:

At this point I kind of wish I had my old 625 receiver back. No HD but at least it worked reliably.

You are putting it in an area where it has plenty of airflow, right? It seems that 622/722s seem to be a little bit more sensitive to heat than the 522/625s were in the past.

It's in a cabinet with other components but it's on its own shelf with an inch of space above and 2" on either side. The cabinet is not enclosed and air flows through front to back. I also have a fan in the cabnet that runs when the AV receiver is on.

I don't remember ever hearing a cooling fan from the 722. I wonder if its fan isn't working and that's why it fried?

Take it out of the cabinet. It is just recycling warm air through the receiver and these receivers already run very hot. I would put some 2in blocks under each of the feet. I have had my original 722 since the second week they were available and no problems with so ever with it.

It ran hot just sitting by itself. I put a couple of 2in foam blocks under each foot and painted them black. It runs 20 degrees cooler with the extra airflow under it. You can also put a fan on the left rear corner to draw airflow out of the receiver too.

Press menu-6-3, select counters, press page down until you get to the temperatures--high, low, and average. My high gets to 140--marginal, I think due to the 7300' altitude--yours should be less.

Also examine the last Fsck (file system check) and if it is more than a day, you need to force a reboot by holding the upper left button behind the front door (soft reboot) or pulling the plug (hard reboot). Then set your update to a time when not in use by you or the timers in menu-8-4.

If you have an EHD it may delay the reboot by 15 minutes doing unknown accesses--better to power off the EHD.

BTW, 1 or 2" is barely enough space and not if those component are warm or your room temp is up. Phoenix, is you house hot when you return?
-Ken

Yes, it has a cooling fan, and many of us think it's marginal even when not enclosed. Your cabinet fan that comes on with the audio receiver is totally inadequate to cool the 722 because a 722 barely uses less power when in standby than it does when on. A cabinet fan that runs 24/7 might help.

Press menu-6-3, select counters, press page down until you get to the temperatures--high, low, and average. My high gets to 140--marginal, I think due to the 7300' altitude--yours should be less.

Also examine the last Fsck (file system check) and if it is more than a day, you need to force a reboot by holding the upper left button behind the front door (soft reboot) or pulling the plug (hard reboot). Then set your update to a time when not in use by you or the timers in menu-8-4.

If you have an EHD it may delay the reboot by 15 minutes doing unknown accesses--better to power off the EHD.

BTW, 1 or 2" is barely enough space and not if those component are warm or your room temp is up. Phoenix, is you house hot when you return?
-Ken

Unfortunately I can't do anything you listed because it won't boot up at all. Nothing but a black screen and a green light on the front panel.

I may have found a contributing factor to my receiver problems. When the first technician installed the new LNB and 622 he moved the grounding bracket from the mounting pole and attached it to the house. He said something about it being more standard. What I didn't notice at the time is that he did not connect the grounding wire to the bracket. In fact he cut the ground wire so it won't even reach the bracket (otherwise I would attach it myself).

The second technician who installed another LNB didn't notice the ungrounded bracket either. It's as if these guys don't even know what the grounding bracket is for.

Could an ungrounded dish be causing all these probems?

As the earlier poster pointed out in order to record two shows live and watch a third LIVE you would need to have at least one of the programs be OTA.

However you could record two live shows from any source and watch a third prerecorded show.

For clarification, you also need an OTA module installed to get OTA reception on your 722k.

The way I understand it, the OTA module has two tuners so you could potentially record four programs at once (2 with sat. tuners and 2 with OTA tuners). I don't have an OTA module (yet) so I can't confirm this.

Thanks for all the information on the 722K running hot. Checked mine and its running 140 high and 120 average. Its always been an extra inch higher from the bottom of cabinet and have just raised it one more inch. How often does the unit up date the temp information,as am wanting to know if extra inch helps any. During summer the house gets up to around 84,so am going to add a small fan. Wheres a good place to order a small quite AC fan. Also which end of receiver should get the most air from the fan? Facing the unit,the fan will have to be on either the R rear or L rear. At that position,would the fan work best sucking air or blowing air.

Last edited:
For clarification, you also need an OTA module installed to get OTA reception on your 722k.

The way I understand it, the OTA module has two tuners so you could potentially record four programs at once (2 with sat. tuners and 2 with OTA tuners). I don't have an OTA module (yet) so I can't confirm this.
You've got it right. MY 722k with OTA module can record 2 OTA and 2 Sat events simultaneously. (At the same time, I could be watching two previously recorded or in progress events at two TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)