622 and cable on TV2

shrudge

Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
I am getting a 622 and will have the TV in the kitchen as TV2. I currently have a receiver there, and also have cable (2-13 only) to get my local channels.

I plan to remove the receiver and put it with another TV.

My question is ... if TV2 is fed from the 622 through the existing cable wiring in the house, will I still be able to access my local channels being fed through the cable connection on TV2?

With a diplexer, you should be able to. You would need a diplexer at the beginning of the existing cable to combine the signals, then another to split them back out. You would also need 2 tuners on your tv unless you want to swap cables back and forth. Unfortunately, you cant run both signals combined into the one tuner on the tv. It wont know how to "decode" the 2 different frequencies

TV2 output

The short answer is yes, but with some precautions. Don't know why you would want to keep your cable subscription because you can get all of the local channels off of the Dish for an extra $5/month. The whole beauty of the TV2 output is to connect it to your internal cable wiring and see the output on ANY TV in the house without any adapters. Only stipulation is that you can move the TV2 remote to the room you want to view the TV2 output, but all TVs in the house will see what you have set either TV1 or TV2 to see.

Because the output of the 622 modulator (UHF), it might not mix well with another cable provided input. Technically, it might hetrodyne and cause all kinds of wierd signals on the channels. You may have to play around with the signal levels, but try this...Use a standard signal spliter and hook the cable input from the cable company on one input and the output of the 622 on the second. Then hook the output of the spliter to the cable input line. FYI, you would simply use your TV as before (Channels 2-13 for the basic cable) and then tune your TV to the UHF channel you set up on the 622 to see the Dish Network output. If you use a cable box, it is a little more involved, but since you indicated you have basic cable, and assuming you have a cable ready TV, it should work. I do not think you should hook up the output of the 622 directly in parallel with the cable company input. You could possibly damage the 622.

Thanks.

I keep the basic cable because I have TVs without receivers, and my internet access is through my cable company. My internet fee would increase by $15 if I drop my cable. Seems to make sense to me.

Last edited:
Had my install done and working great so far. And my wife is happy cause we got rid of the box in the kitchen (her objective).

Ran coax from output of 622 to TV2 in to a diplexer with my cable as the other input to the diplexer. Then on in to my TV. Both of us are happy so far.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)