622 and no analog OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cessna602

Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
I've searched for this topic and can't find anything...

With my shiny new 622 up and running, I have noticed a significant missing feature. It does not seem to have any provisions to receive Analog OTA channels. It picks up the digital ones just fine, but not the analog, nor does it have any provisions to do so. My replaced 811 and 6000u both would pick up Analog OTA. Is this something that Dish no longer gives us the ability to do with this 622 or do I have something setup wrong?

Thanks for the info.

The 811 has an analog tuner?

With my 811, none of the analog channels showed up when scanning the locals, but I just got a 942, and it found quite a few analog channels.

The 811 has an analog tuner. You might have it disabled too. Look under setup->local channels-> Display Opts and see if you have the Dish locals mapped down. If so it will not do the analog, but use the ones via satellite instead.

mike123abc said:
The 811 has an analog tuner. You might have it disabled too. Look under setup->local channels-> Display Opts and see if you have the Dish locals mapped down. If so it will not do the analog, but use the ones via satellite instead.
I don't have the 811 anymore, I replaced it with a 942 I purchased. I just didn't realize that it had a analog tuner, doesn't really matter.

If the ViP622 had an analog tuner, we'd want to record analog channels like any satellite channel. Then that would require circuitry to convert it to a digital signal to record it to disk, compatible with the other programming recorded. I'm surprised the 942 lets you do this.

Any way, digital is far more widespread than generally thought (high 90% range for areas getting 3 -or is it 5- or more digital stations). Fewer and fewer people will depend upon analog, and it'll be gone completely by 2/17/09. It'll probably be more popular than analog long before then, as people see the improved PQ.

So the lack of an analog tuner is no big loss, IMHO. What stations do you get in analog that you don't get in digital?

Analog TV is going away, why put obsolete technology in new equipment?

Satellite channels are ALL digital (mp2). That is why they CAN be recorded by the 622.

My TiVo records OTA just fine, it's just that Dish and DirecTV do not wish for us to record OTA with their equipment.

Last edited:
Jim5506 said:
Analog TV is going away, why put obsolete technology in new equipment?

Satellite channels are ALL digital (mp2). That is why they CAN be recorded by the 622.

My TiVo records OTA just fine, it's just that Dish and DirecTV do not wish for us to record OTA with their equipment.
YOu can record OTA fine with the Dish DVR's, as long as it is not analog.

navychop said:
What stations do you get in analog that you don't get in digital?
There are several analog channels on my local cable system that aren't available anywhere else.

navychop said:
That's cable. No need for an OTA analog tuner to get analog cable.
I was wondering the same thing. I'm amazed that people have a bigscreen HD tv, HD satellite programming, a HD DVR, and OTA HD locals in their area but they somehow find a need for a analog tuner? I don't think I ever even used mine in my 811. What use could someone find out of a analog tuner on a 622 that they didn't already get through satellite locals and ota digital locals?

BrettTRay said:
I was wondering the same thing. I'm amazed that people have a bigscreen HD tv, HD satellite programming, a HD DVR, and OTA HD locals in their area but they somehow find a need for a analog tuner? I don't think I ever even used mine in my 811. What use could someone find out of a analog tuner on a 622 that they didn't already get through satellite locals and ota digital locals?

The only use would be if not available any other way.

The only reason why i can see to record analog / LIL over HD is that most stations do not understand how to properly broadcast SD (480i) content over the digital signal... they often tend to do stupid things like stretch and up-convert to 1080i (which is a waste of bandwidth and on HD DVRs a huge waste of drive space) so my solution has been to record stuff which should be broadcast as 480i over the LIL channels as they are just the analog channels beamed up to the dish, and I try to save my HD space for true (or in dish HD case HD-LITE) content... of course this issue would be moot if dish would allow us to plug in an external USB Drive or NAS box to record / archive to...

Sadly, there IS another reason to keep an NTSC tuner. Our local station AGAIN messed up the HD transmission of West Wing. Sent it out SD with an echo, so bad you couldn't possibly watch it. Had to switch over to the analog transmission. Did not exactly impress my in-laws, who see no need for better PQ or large TVs. They just bought a 32" cheapie a few months ago and think it's too large.

So until the stations twig onto the idea that they do in fact have a digital audience and manage the digital stream professionally, we'd better have the analog backup.

I'd guess that 20%-25% of the DC area can watch the digital signals. And I'll hazard a guess that most people will be watching digital before 2/19/09. Of course, how many are actually watching OTA anyway? Most will only notice on secondary TVs. Cable, satellite & Fios users won't even notice. But the sellers of big screen TVs will try hard to "move them up."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts