622 and the original HD pack question

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I have the original HD pack and a 942. (I have a 622 as well but I have not gotten around to setting it up and adding it to the account yet)

Does the original HD pack qualify for the 622 OTA tunner fee exemption or must I upgrade to one of the new precious metal HD packs?

Last edited:
Paradox-SJ said:
No I dont...but thank you anyway.

I went from a 811 (that I owned) to a vip211 (that I owned also) and DISH made me get the new HD pak before they would authorize the 211 even though I only wanted my old HD PAK(10 voom channels plus the nationals excluding unihd) put on the 211.
Hope that helps but the best thing for you to do is call tech support and ask.:)

i think what navychop meant was you will need to upgrade to the metallic pack to activate the 622. That is what i was told this weekend too, because i wanted to keep my $5 dollar promotion on HD pack and I was told that i would need to upgrade. That may mean i lose that $5 of course CSR's have been wrong before.

You can upgrade to the DishHD Standard/basic pack. It is on their site, but most csrs fall flat when you ask for it, don't know why.

The old hd, plus new voom chnls, uni, etc. No Americas channels

gbjbany said:
i think what navychop meant was you will need to upgrade to the metallic pack to activate the 622. That is what i was told this weekend too, because i wanted to keep my $5 dollar promotion on HD pack and I was told that i would need to upgrade. That may mean i lose that $5 of course CSR's have been wrong before.

So you are saying that unless I upgrade to one of the precious metal HD packs they wont activate my (my=I own it) 622?

Which if true answers my original question but if it isnt true...my orginal questions still stands.

Paradox-SJ said:
I have the original HD pack and a 942. (I have a 622 as well but I have not gotten around to setting it up and adding it to the account yet)

Does the original HD pack qualify for the 622 OTA tunner fee exemption or must I upgrade to one of the new precious metal HD packs?

I think a lot of people like talking out of their necks (no thoughts required).

I have a 622, and I subscribe to the Old HD Pack + Voom. You absolutely can do it if you own, and are grandfathered with the old subscription.

However, they charge me a $6 "HD Enabling Fee" because the Old HD Pack is not qualified programming in their eyes. I have only argued with them once so far on the phone, and I don't consider this battle to be over.

I know someone else that has the Old HD Pack + an old SD Pack, I think it was AT120, and he doesn't get charged the extra $6/mo. It appears that this fee is really a second "access fee", and is totally wrong!

If you purchased the VIP622 for $370 or whatever, you should be able to activate it without having to upgrade to the metallic HD packages. If you received your VIP622 through the Dish-it-up promo for $299, then you have to upgrade to a metallic HD package for activation. I am basing the above on my own experience of activating a VIP211 that I owned before acitvating one through the Dish-it-up promo.

jsanders said:
I think a lot of people like talking out of their necks (no thoughts required).

I have a 622, and I subscribe to the Old HD Pack + Voom. You absolutely can do it if you own, and are grandfathered with the old subscription.

However, they charge me a $6 "HD Enabling Fee" because the Old HD Pack is not qualified programming in their eyes. I have only argued with them once so far on the phone, and I don't consider this battle to be over.

I know someone else that has the Old HD Pack + an old SD Pack, I think it was AT120, and he doesn't get charged the extra $6/mo. It appears that this fee is really a second "access fee", and is totally wrong!

So it’s arbitrary…probably based on the CSR that you speak with too. I wonder will talking to advanced tech support help at all. If this turns out to be so I will probably sale my 622 then as I do not want the new HD pack as there is no "compelling" content to my family.

I have the Top 120 package with the original HD pack and Voom and I didn't have any problems getting my owned VIP 622 activated with this package. If you own a new receiver then you will be grandfathered in with the old HD package. You cannot do this if you lease. The $6 HD enabling fee only applies if you don't have AT 60 or higher or any of the metallic packages.

I route all of my call through the tech support so I can avoid the Indian call center with their scripted answers.

If you subscribe to the Old HD Pack, I think they will waive the "HD enabling fee" if you also subscribe to SD programming.

I don't subscribe to any SD package, I only subscribe to the Old HD Pack + Voom + extorted locals (I want guide data). Under that scenario, they currently charge me the fee. I plan to fight them very hard about this new fee though!

Dishpointer said:
I have the Top 120 package with the original HD pack and Voom and I didn't have any problems getting my owned VIP 622 activated with this package. If you own a new receiver then you will be grandfathered in with the old HD package. You cannot do this if you lease. The $6 HD enabling fee only applies if you don't have AT 60 or higher or any of the metallic packages.
Ok so my information from the tech support team was for a leased receiver so that is why i was told i had to upgrade.

gbjbany said:
Ok so my information from the tech support team was for a leased receiver so that is why i was told i had to upgrade.

And I guess I was totally lied to by CSR who activated my new receiver (211)about having to take the new HDPAK.:(

I had my 622 activated a week ago. The csr that activated it told me what my new payment would be. It was basically what I am currently paying. I have the aet package with locals, no HD pac. I asked if I didn't have to upgrade to one to the metal packages. She said no but that I would have to pay the $6 for not having ANY hd packages. So my rate went up $6.

Bill

"I had my 622 activated a week ago. The csr that activated it told me what my new payment would be. It was basically what I am currently paying. I have the aet package with locals, no HD pac. I asked if I didn't have to upgrade to one to the metal packages. She said no but that I would have to pay the $6 for not having ANY hd packages. So my rate went up $6."

Why would you get a 622 if you were not going to subscribe to any HD package?

yaz96 said:
Why would you get a 622 if you were not going to subscribe to any HD package?

This is a good question. If you did not want Dish satellite HD channels, you would be better off picking up a 921/942 off of ebay. Not only are the receivers much cheaper now but you do not have to pay the $6/month HD enabling fee. You will have to pay the DVR fee though, but you can record your OTA HD.

The $6/month enabling fee + the extra $$ for buying the box gets you a better OTA tuner (may or may not make a difference to you) and slightly more disk space for recording.

Two reasons for getting the 622, I have the 921 and have had all kinds of problems with it. I payed 450 for it at Costco last year. My intent is to use the Costco's liberal return policy and return a product to them that was a POS and get my 450 back.

In addition , I receive all of my HD locals OTA plus the show and hbo HD channels. I may in the future decide to add the HD pac which will require the 622 for most of the channels

Bill

just to add my experience, i bought a 622 in feb and had no problems getting it activated with my old hd pack (in fact i cancelled the sub on my 921 at the same time making the 622 my only hd receiver). so you do not have to have a metallic pack to activate one of the newer receivers. if the csr tells you you do then talk t someone else...

kbghdg said:
I went from a 811 (that I owned) to a vip211 (that I owned also) and DISH made me get the new HD pak before they would authorize the 211 even though I only wanted my old HD PAK(10 voom channels plus the nationals excluding unihd) put on the 211.
Hope that helps but the best thing for you to do is call tech support and ask.:)

fwiw, I activated a 211 last week - no metal package - Old HD PAK only on account at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts