622 Audio Drop Outs, who else?

mlrtime3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I put my bug in the sticky topic but I thought I'd create a new one as well.

Watching 24 tonight was painful, constant audio drop outs and audio sync problems. Towards the end of the first episode tonight the audio dropped out completely. This is watching it on the SAT HD Local channel not OTA. I have >90 signal on all 3 sats and it happens on other channels as well.

Also, I noticed that the audio starts going out of sync after about 10 minutes. In this 10 minutes the drop outs stop, but the audio is out of sync. As soon as I pause and un-pause the audio is in sync, but the audio drops out soon after.

How many others are having this same problem? How do we escalate this to Dish and let the techs verify it as a 622 bug and get a ETA on a patch?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've been getting them too. A reboot helps a lot. I'm back to rebooting almost daily. If I remember, I try to reboot about a half hour before recording anything important like 24.

622 audio problem - please help

I think I've seen this on one of the threads, but I couldn't find it again. I just had the 622 completely installed (had it up and running on the dish 500 until the dish 1000 came today, sans dp44, so a new hole in the wall for a new cable feed!! :( )

I have the 622 set up in single tv mode, so the same component and audio cables are feeding into my tv.

On tuner 2 (or as my installer called it, satellite 2), I get lots of pops on the audio (sounds like a static discharge), pretty much regardless of the channel I am watching, however video looks fine. I switched coaxial inputs to the 622 and the audio pop still remains, again, only on tuner 2, so i've ruled out cable problems.

I am guessing this is a problem with my 622...has anyone else experienced this (or seen this in another thread)?

to quote "Clarence" from "True Romance"

"I'm basically a pretty resourceful guy, and if I didn't need your help, I wouldn't ask".

Last edited:
Page 113 of your manual:

1 Press and hold the front panelPOWER until only the green TV1 indocator is lit.

2 Let go of the front panel POWER.

Wait for it to reboot.

No audio drop outs, but i do have sync issues sometimes. Pause/play sometimes, but not always, fixes it (it usually improves it from "very annoying" to "not annoying, but noticable". I've tweaked the various settings mentioned in other threads, got a little improvement (maybe) but it's very far from perfect.

As mentioned in other threads. Go to your menu options and select Audio Sync. Change your setting from HD to SD and see if that helps. I worked for me and other folks.

Good luck.

Audio dropouts and pops seem to have a connection to a program being DD 5.1. If you use the optical cable and plug it into a DD5.1 reciever it clears it up.

Also here is another trick

One tuner on this box pops.... another doesnt. Before watching something like 24 check which tuner you are on. If its popping try swapping tuners and then tune to the OTA channel.

I used to have audio sync issues with the HDMI cable. Going to component seemed to clear that up.

Thanks. I just tried that, but I notice that it is only an option for TV1 (not TV2). Regardless, that setting did not fix the problem on the TV2 tuner.

The stations still have a "popping" in audio, on locals, SD, and HD. I'm wondering if it is a bad tuner in the 622?

BTW, it's not a drop or lag in the audio signal. The sound is still there, however, so it a "static" type popping sound overlaying the audio.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have an optical cable pluged in to my dd5.1 receiver , and still have popping on tv2, watching tv2 or tv1. AND, both my HDMI and component connections have the same popping issue.

I'm seeing the synch issues on my 622 too... fixed everytime by a skip or pause command. I saw this several software versions ago on my 522.

I have my 622's audio directly connected to the TV for casual (most) viewing, and also have the digital out connected to my TV for when we're watching things that deserve the full DD treatment. Both outputs equally suffer from the synch issue.

Last edited:
I've yet to see any synch issues at all , KNOCK ON WOOD! Just audio popping. I wonder why some are having the synch issues and some are having the audio popping. Maybe someone could do a poll and see how many are suffering from either issue or both issues, or none of the above.

I'm having audio pops/syncing. Pops happen on most all channels, and both tuners.

I too am using optical out on a DD 5.1 receiver. I'm using the exact same cable that was plugged into my dvd player so I know its not the cable. Also, when there is a pop, the DD light on my receiver goes out so it is obvious that the 622 is dropping the signal some how.

The sync problem only happens when watching a recorded show. I've tried both SD & HD sync settings, neither make a difference as far as I can tell.

I noticed that when I watch a show on TV2 I get the audio pops but no audio sync issues. When I switch over to TV1 on the same show with optical out, I get the sync issues. Pausing and unpausing clears sync issues, but then popping starts again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts