622 Audio Output to two * at the same time?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

uponthemountain

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Goode VA
Hello,

I have a 622 that is currently outputing audio to a receiver in stereo only. The 622 is set to output in Dolby digital/pcm + rf mode and uses the standard rca out jacks to a cheap sony receiver which outputs to two fairly decent Bose speakers.

So far, my wife will not let me upgrade the audio side of things because of the wires and extra space needed by the additional speakers.
She doesn't 'fuss' that much about the cost, (have a great 40inch sony lcd), but she does not want the extra speakers messing up her livinging room, or the wires.

I want better sound.

So anyways ... on to the question

Can the 622 ouput via the optical out at the same time as the stereo out?

If so, then I am seriously considering getting wireless digital headphones, and in particular the Pioneer SE-DIR800C HDPH Dolby Digital 5.1 Wireless Headphones.

I would connect the headphones to the optical out on the 622 and switch over to Line Mode.

Anyways .. can the 622 do this?
is this a good way to go?
any comments or suggestions?

tia!

"Can the 622 ouput via the optical out at the same time as the stereo out?"

Yep. As far as I can tell, all audio and video outputs are active all the time.
I have my optical output going to my surround system, plus the stereo RCA's going to the TV (so the kids can watch cartoons etc without the "hassle" of firing up the whole surround system and shaking the house on Sunday morning.)

While the purpose in this case is to use one or the other, I do get sound out of both at the same time if I run the surround receiver and turn up the TV volume at the same time. (you mention something about switching Line/RF mode - I don't have to do that - I think the names of those settings are a little misleading if I remember right)

hmmm - your wife doesn't want to deal with the space/wires for surround speakers? Not even something with small satellites like the Bose AM6 or AM10?
As far as hiding wires, I'm no pro, but after staring down a room long enough, I've always found a way (down thru the basement below, or up through the ceiling, into the kids bedroom, back down the other side, etc etc)

yes it does output both types of audio at the same time (i send stereo rca to tv and optical to receiver so when i don't want big surround i use the TV speakers...)

also that yamaha single speaker 5.1 surround speaker sounds crappy (anything with 1 point will not be able to produce true 5.1 it uses some *special* signaling to faux the surround)

my wife does not like the big speaker appearance so we have a bose surround system with the two front speakers on stands... it looks very nice and the bass module can be hidden anywhere in the room and you still get that big sound (you mentioned cost wasn't an issue that's why i bring this up).

Yamaha makes a single point 5.1 surround sound system. Here's a link to the page with the products that they sell. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/ysp1/idx_products.htm

Thanks for the suggestion,
yes, this would be great if it would work for me. I've read elseswhere ... and here :) ... that they do not work quite as well as hoped in many environments. It sounds like that they are ideal for fully enclosed regulary surfaced square rooms.

Unfortuanately, my living room sucks for sound. It has a cathedral ceiling, one wall almost completely glass with aluminum blinds, two openings (no doors), and to make it all worse, I set in one corner. :-(

yes it does output both types of audio at the same time (i send stereo rca to tv and optical to receiver so when i don't want big surround i use the TV speakers...)

Thanks, Its great to get confirmation on this!

my wife does not like the big speaker appearance so we have a bose surround system with the two front speakers on stands... it looks very nice and the bass module can be hidden anywhere in the room and you still get that big sound (you mentioned cost wasn't an issue that's why i bring this up).

I should have said that cost wasn't the main factor. :)

Cost, space and wires are the bigger concerns.
I would LOVE to have a real and good quality 5.1+ speaker system in place, if it could be installed nearly hidden, and could be designed to work well in this somewhat sound unfriendly space.

Sounds like you have a great setup!

Yep. As far as I can tell, all audio and video outputs are active all the time.

Excellent! This may end up working well for me then.

(you mention something about switching Line/RF mode - I don't have to do that - I think the names of those settings are a little misleading if I remember right)

I'm a little worried about this part.

When I put the unit into One mode, it sounds like the sound gets 'more split' and 'less flattened' where in this 5.1 mode the voice channel gets low in volume ... not ideal for my space.

But in the other mode, the 'channels' appear to get closer in volume level 'kind of flattened' which helps in being able to hear better without blasting the volume.

So If I set it to provide 5.1 out (i think this is what happens), then its going to sound bad for my wife, but great for me with the headphones on ... and vice versa? Is this the way it works?

hmmm - your wife doesn't want to deal with the space/wires for surround speakers? Not even something with small satellites like the Bose AM6 or AM10?
As far as hiding wires, I'm no pro, but after staring down a room long enough, I've always found a way (down thru the basement below, or up through the ceiling, into the kids bedroom, back down the other side, etc etc)

If only these type of systems were wireless ! They might be the ticket then. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts