622 check switch problems - software?

scooter

Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Hi Guys/Gals,

My first post here. I just became a dish network customer last week. I've got the 622 and a 311 in my house fed off a Dish 1000. All new RG6 runs that connect both .

My 311 never hiccups, but I have problems with my 622.

My signal level for 110 and 119 are in the 75-85 area, but my 129 is in the mid 60s during a clear day.

Starting the second day after I got the system installed I started having problems with the check switch errors appearing on the screen. Not having a clue I started playing around by undoing some of the diplexing.

I initially had both diplexed Sat feeds and the OTA on the same RG6 going to my 622, (and then seperated the sat to both tuners)but I undid that and now just have both sat signals on one RG6 and the OTA on another. After I did that it was working, but I think it was working only because I undid the second sat and ran another check switch to clear the matrix as recommended by a previous post on this board.

When it does hose up sometimes the check swith matrix reports I have the wrong switches like SW64 or something or other..rather than the DPP twin I think I have(like I said I am a new dish user). Every time I can clear it by disconnecting the second tuner running a check switch and then reconnecting the second tuner and running another check switch. Although this works this wastes 20 minutes every time I have to do this.

Everyday I have this issue and I think it occurs when the system powers down every night. So I guess I have a couple questions.

1.) How wide spread is this problem of the check switch errors on the 622 as I can only find a few posts pertaining to this as most problems seem to be centered around the heat issues with the DPP twins?

2.) Should I be contacting dish about this so they realize this is a problem and needs to get addressed or do you think they know about it already?

3.) Do I need to have this 622 shut off every night or is that needed to bring the temp of the unit down? :)

Thanks for your help!

-Scott

Last edited:
welcome to dish, and this website.

Q #1: i installed 2x622, 1x942, 1x508 at customers house dish 1000 and DPP 44 switch when you do a test on 942 and 508 everything worked but 622's said

119 110 129
x x x
con con con

both did that swapped lines on switch same thing re located receivers same thing. turned out to be both bad receivers

Q #2: yes call them up, you should not have to do that every day

Q #3: you always want all receivers to be off when you are not withing them

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes I have made sure all connections are tight. At one point I also switched Sat tuner connections and the problem followed. So maybe it is a LNB problem?

I called my local installer who installed it, he is coming over Wed. I'll post what we find.

Thanks once again.

-Scott

Welcome from this outpost as well.

Re: your question #3, the 622 never really "shuts off" - it instead enters a standby mode when you try to shut it off. The 622 will also want to be in the standby mode when it tries to do its daily program/SW updates, but you can force it to skip those D/Ls (not recommended!). In standby the HDD is constantly running and the rest of the system is fully powered. In fact the unit continually provides some output to the connected TVs. (When the 622 is in standby the image is just a moving screensaver, no audio.) The only way to completely power it down is to disconnect the power cord! The only possible power savings in the standby mode is that the HDD is doing considerably fewer read/write operations, so that drive might tend to run a bit cooler then, and I do think that I can document that the Broadcom decoder chip (the main "engine" in the 622) is running a bit cooler in standby, ostensibly because it's also "dozing" and doing less number crunching. So you're not really doing much to the unit temperature-wise by putting it into standby.

That said - you are well advised to consider the 622's temp. issues and take some action, per the other threads, to help keep yours as cool as possible...!

(I am one who is very concerned about the 622's high temp. issues - see my numerous posts on this topic in various threads - so I have some insight. I am still in the process of making some critical temp. measurements in the unit as I devise my internal temp. mitigation system, i.e., spot cooling. Hint - the HDD is NOT the hot spot in the 622!)

Oops..just a note. I have the 1000 not the 1000 plus as stated. I will correct the original post.

-Scott

Well. The tech that came out yesterday and replaced the seperator with another DPP plus seperator(physically larger) and it once again crapped out later last night and again this morning. Looks like I am down to either a LNB, the 622 itself or a cable run as possibilities.

-Scott

I had the same problem. Tech came out and replaced my LNB but the problem was still there. Dish sent me a new 622 and everything is OK. The tech told me that for some reason the 622 won't receive certain transponders and that causes the problem. Mine kept losing transponder 17 on the 119 Sat.

Thanks for the info Sniet hopefully I wont need to get another 622. Now that I have an HD DVR I dont want to lose a couple days. ;-)

Anwways...my installer called and said he could be over during lunch today..so I just met him and he put in a new DPP LNB. One thing he did notice was that on the check switch screen on my 622 my 2nd tuner always is about second or two behind the first tuner. So if it happen to be working correctly and in the check switch screen you get the checking 1 of 3 screen the second tuner lags behind...and is on 1 of 3 when first is on 2 of 3.

Does everybody else get this also? Or is this a symptom of a crappy 622?

Well....my standyby is set for 4 hours so by the time I get home this afternoon it should be in standby mode. When I awaken it I have always had to unplug the feed run a check switch and put both feeds back into the 622 and run another checkswitch to get it back so both tuners can work. Hopefully I wont have to later tonight!

-Scott

I also am having check switch problems (004). Having just installed a HDMI cable, and hearing about it's vulnerabilities, I have taken a hands off approach. When the 004 check switch screen comes up I keep clicking cancel until I get a picture, sometimes it takes 7 tries.:mad:
I have addressed the temperature issue by adding a external fan blowing from right to left as suggested by a thread in this forum. This has brought my temps down to an acceptable 132-H 86-L 105-A.
I waited until the last software update L360 to see if that might help:(
My installer came out and replaced the LNB, and some cable ends to no avail, and now tells me to replace the ser. D 622.
Is there any truth to the rumor that latter ser. (E-F-G) 622's run cooler?
They have a ser. E in stock, but I can wait. What do you suggest I do?

Last edited:
After replacement of the DPP twin LNB yesterday I have not had any probelms so far.(knock on wood).

-scott

high def mon said:
... Is there any truth to the rumor that latter ser. (E-F-G) 622's run cooler?...
I initially had a D that was replaced by an E due to the ubiquitous "no HDMI output" problem. I believe the D was hotter to the touch especially in the left rear corner above the PS, but I have no data to substante that observation. I wouldn't make a switch unless you have a problem that needs to be resolved, i.e., if you have a fully functioning D version then stick with it. But that said, I would take measures to help it run as cool as possible, per other threads...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts