622, Color Saturation & Brightness

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Just installed my 622 today, replacing a 942, which replaced an 811. All of them were connected to the same HDTV via component.

I am very surprised by how much I had to change my TV settings with the 622.

My TV's settings are on a 0-64 scale.

Watching HBO on the 942 my settings were:

Color Saturation: 29
Brightness: 34
Picture: 31

On the 622, to achieve an equivalent picture:

Color Saturation: 13
Brightness: 44
Picture: 40

The output from the 622 had far more color saturation while being much darker.

Have others seen such dramatic changes?

I'm really shocked by the huge increase in color saturation.

I'll agree with you Tom. When I changed from my 942 to a 622 (via HDMI/DVI) I made HUGE changes to all of the settings. I'm not sure why, but there are big differences between them. I wouldn't say that either is better than the other, just different.

I agree also. I have to really crank-up my set's black level with the 622 component output. The blacks, especially, are darker than the 811's output, and much darker than my old 6000's output. Curiously, I believe the 6000 was the most "standard". Its output level matched my Sony TV's other inputs perfectly.

Same here, I switched from HDMI to Component and had to re-configure my plasma, If I now switch to HDMI I have a washed-out picture.

The 622 is nowhere near standard specs. I've used three DVD players, an 811, a 942, and a Sylvania OTA HD receiver and the settings for all of them were relatively close through the component inputs of the TV. The 622 is WAY off.

Once you make significant adjustments, the picture is good. But it makes one wonder about E*'s engineers.

Same here for me on my tv. NO change between the 942 and the 622. I use the movie mode - 50 % on everything except the sharpness at 25% , warm mode and auto light sensor on - changes contrast depending on the light in the room.

Setting are same, no change here. Personnaly I feel over all picture looks bets on 622 anyway (component output).

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that people aren't noticing much difference between Dish HD boxes. Since the latest 811 software, the component video output on various Dish boxes has been mostly consistent. I think there is a slight difference between the 811 and the 622, but the difference between a 921, 942, etc may not be noticed.

BUT. It isn't at an industry standard level! Dish's component black levels are WAY TOO LOW. Yes, you can usually adjust your set's gain parameters to compensate, but if you're like me and switch between various video inputs (DVD, even SD sources), it's a total nuisance to keep fussing with level settings.

I found the culprit!

My initial observations were just after installing the 622 and I was running with mostly factory defaults. One of those defaults was that the 622's output is set to 480p. When I changed it to 1080i, the color sat and brightness came back to very close to the 942. The 622's output is still a little darker but only 2-3 points on my TV's settings. I agree that this is annoying when switching between sources.

I'm surprised this setting has so much impact upon color and brightness, but it does.

Last edited:
I went from a 942 to the 622 and needed no adjustments using the component inputs on my 65" Toshiba (ISF Calibrated). Still need to adjust brightness when switching to DVD. The setting for DVD used to calibrate had to be moved up by 6 for the image of the sat unit. I use my Denon 5803a to switch video inputs, so I have to make the change each time.

I have minor adjustments to make from DVD to sat, but don't see it as being more than normal when using different components. Don't get me started on the issues with my 622 and my love for my still in use 942. The 942 is stable and has a couple features the 622 doesn't. Anyone with a 942 notice that the info for programs tells you its first air date? The 622 doesn't. :(

Anyway, I babble. :)

622 replacing a 942

I had overbrightness problem with my 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's, a 50" and a 42".
The HD component is fine but the SD TV2 hooked up with Composite to the non HD tuner is too bright on both TV's. Tried a second 622 with no help and i Can't adjust it with the TV romote.

Anyone have this problem?
Model TH 42PHD6UY and TH-50PHD5UY.

You might need the attenuator that comes in the original box. This will lower the signal level out of the 622 and may be needed if the second set is close to the 622 and the TV is not tolerant or you need to reverse-split it with an antenna signal to feed your remote set. The 622 RF output is higher than a normal VCR would be.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts