622 compression scheme?

coug7669

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 31, 2006
What compression scheme is dish using on the 622? I notice that my ota recordings have shrunk in file size. I also notice that my total recording time fluctuates. I was able to estimate before how much time I had available when recording the mpeg 4 channels as they compressed easier than the mpeg 2 channels. Now with this software 443, even the mpeg 2 and ota hd channels compress to smaller sizes than the mpeg 4 channels ever did before. I miss the history menu as I could tell if my protected programs were being deleted. now I believe that none of my programs are being deleted at this time. How can this be so unless Dish has changed their compression? VC1?

Your OTA recordings shouldn't have changed at all. They're still MPEG2 and when they're recorded, they're recorded 100% as-is. Dish receivers do not do add'l compression on recordings (TiVos do, for example).

Digital OTA data size depends on whether the local is sending standard definition or HD for a particular show and what compression level they have chosen. As hall said, OTA is always MPEG2 and both OTA and satellite go straight to the hard drive as is.

Last edited:
It may be that your OTA station is opening up a subchannel and they've cut back on the bandwidth for their HD channel.

No DBS satellite DVR compresses anything.

Well some ota is sd and some is hd. I was always under the impression that all ota recorded at the same rate whether hd or not? I do have multiple subchannels though. thank you for information.

Well some ota is sd and some is hd. I was always under the impression that all ota recorded at the same rate whether hd or not? I do have multiple subchannels though. thank you for information.
OTA data rates vary widely and typically depend on how many subchannels their are. An HD channel usually takes up 4-5 times the bandwidth of an SD channel.

All DVRs that can record digital, whether digital cable, OTA or satellite, record the data stream direct to the hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)