622 Crashes , SBSOD

faster68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
I heard it called the 'Screaming Black Screen of Death' in a post from last year. My 622 has done it 3 times in the last two days and scared the heck out of my son. Tell me I'm not the only one with the problem. I had the problem 1 or 2 times last summer. Always happens while watching a recorded event... anyone else in my boat?

f68

Hey faster, could you go into the Diagnostics screen and report back your HDD SMART Status number? I'm curious as to whether these events are related to bad hard disks.

Thanks.

Hey faster, could you go into the Diagnostics screen and report back your HDD SMART Status number? I'm curious as to whether these events are related to bad hard disks.

Thanks.

For most people who posted, the HDD status is not changing when they have a Black screen crash.

However this thread needs to be combined with those discussing the crashes occuring after 4.01/4.03. One poll shows 30% of people at least occassionally and sometimes frequently seeing these crashes.

For most people who posted, the HDD status is not changing when they have a Black screen crash.

Not according to what I have read so far. Everyone who has reported back with their HDD SMART Status code has reported an error code. My purpose in asking is to try to get a better idea of what is going on with this problem and help people get it fixed. I have no desire to post raging rants about how DISH sucks and their equipment sucks and the updates are written by idiots who could care less about the customers - which is a big part of what I have to read through now.

Lets use the tools built into the very capable 622 to decipher the problem and get everyone hooked up with good machines.

Not according to what I have read so far. Everyone who has reported back with their HDD SMART Status code has reported an error code. My purpose in asking is to try to get a better idea of what is going on with this problem and help people get it fixed. I have no desire to post raging rants about how DISH sucks and their equipment sucks and the updates are written by idiots who could care less about the customers - which is a big part of what I have to read through now.

Lets use the tools built into the very capable 622 to decipher the problem and get everyone hooked up with good machines.

Hey 8bitbytes, sorry to take so long to get back to you, I was not getting the SBSOD after turning off the idle stand by feature... until today. Today I got two SBSOD. Scares the hell out of my son, I am not pleased. So, where do I find the HDD SMART status code? I couldn't find it. Could you give me the meny path?

Menu - 6 - 3 - Counters. You have to page down in the counters to find the Smart Info. Look for HDD Smart Status. It should be 0. I would not be pleased either. If you have anything other than a 0, I would call tech support and tell them to send you another machine.

SBSOD values

We borrowed the BSOD from the computer world which is Blue instead of Black then added Screaming since a large number of times it makes that noise also When crashing. I don't know that the HDD SMART value has anything to do with it. Since some have reported 255 and some have reported 000 in that location. That value doen't even show up in a standard HDD report of problems with one. The 255 is probably something only is used by E* for their reporting. Anyway the SBSOD seems to have started w/ 401 release late last year.

Last edited:
Menu - 6 - 3 - Counters. You have to page down in the counters to find the Smart Info. Look for HDD Smart Status. It should be 0. I would not be pleased either. If you have anything other than a 0, I would call tech support and tell them to send you another machine.

The value for HDD Smart Status is 255... god, I hate the idea of doing a swap. I lose everything on the unit that my son watches over and over again. Is E* doing anything to fix or should I just bite the bullet and swap? Now, if the external hard dive feature was just working...

The value for HDD Smart Status is 255... god, I hate the idea of doing a swap. I lose everything on the unit that my son watches over and over again. Is E* doing anything to fix or should I just bite the bullet and swap? Now, if the external hard dive feature was just working...

I've said it before and I'll repeat it: If Dish "breaks" your receiver, which, contrary to what certain others here think, is exactly what they did to many with the 4.01 / 4.03 downloads, they should be required to fix it.

If after a few weeks (which it's already been) they can't fix it, then they should replace it and provide a way for the customer to retain their recordings. They could and should do that - they just don't want to.

I just checked my HDD Smart Status, there are 2 listings, #11 is 255 and #12 is 0x0000. Which one are we supposed to look at?

The HDD Smart Status shows the number you are looking for. Values between 201 and 255 are reserved for the vendor BUT this is still an error code related to the operation of the hard disk and I would get anything that had a 255 replaced.

It is very frustrating to have to abandon all your recordings, I completely understand. I have a PocketDish which helps some but HD still won't transfer.

Until a Dish engineer posts their vendor codes for HDD SMART STATUS, I will continue to recommend that anyone with an HDD SMART STATUS of 255 call technical support and report your 622 problems and tell them the HDD SMART STATUS is 255 so the drive must be bad so you can get your receiver replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)