622 Died Tonight!

kingbiged

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Oregon City, OR
Well, it's official my 622 is dead tonight. I can still watch DVR, but Tuner #1 is bad, and will not allow live television.

This all happened after watching a DVR event, then stoping it to come to a black screen. I then did a reboot, and still nothing. Check switch showed problems on tuner #1, so I switched the leads with tuner#2, but got the same. Have signal with both leads on tuner #2, but nothing on #1.

Called Dish, and the earliest I can get someone out here is Monday Afternoon! What a crock, having to wait so long. They verified on the phone that it seems to be the reciever, and not the switch (still have 522 that is working without problems). They said that the tech will bring out a new 622, but I am not counting on it! He said that it would be 4 days to get one to me via UPS, if the tech doesnt have one.

I have been with them for 9 years, and I can't believe that this is happening again! (same problems in the start with the 721 when it came out).

Sure wish I kept my 721 for a backup! This sucks!!

Just as I thought, 5PM rolled around and no sign from the tech. I called the dispach office, and they told me, as expected, that they have to be shipped. She confrenced me in with Dish Headquarters CS, and they told me that I would have to wait 30 days for a replacement reciever. I asked for their manager, who tole me that they have shortages on the 622. So, I asked for another manager, he put me on hold, after 1.5 hrs, I hung up and called again. Then I got disconnected 2 more times. Currently on the phone with the 6th guy today, will post his reply.

I have been a customer for over 9 years, this is complete insanity! If they can't help their customers that are existing clients, why do they sign new ones up!

Now, no TV, but in bedroom, since Friday afternoon!

Unplug the power to your receiver.
Now Unplug the tuner 1 and tuner 2 leads.
Plug the receiver back in.
Perform a switch test with the satellite dish leads unplugged.
Wait for switch test to finish, cancel back out of menu, then unplug power again.
With power unplugged, reconect leads 1 and 2.
Plug in power again and once again perform switch test.

Might work, might not. I have a 622 and sometimes it gets confused.

lhess said:
Unplug the power to your receiver.
Now Unplug the tuner 1 and tuner 2 leads.
Plug the receiver back in.
Perform a switch test with the satellite dish leads unplugged.
Wait for switch test to finish, cancel back out of menu, then unplug power again.
With power unplugged, reconect leads 1 and 2.
Plug in power again and once again perform switch test.

Might work, might not. I have a 622 and sometimes it gets confused.
Thanks for the advice. I did that with Advanced Tech Support. No such luck!

Well, after a long e-mail to Dish, I got a call this AM from their corprate offices, and the told me that they will ship a new 622 out via UPS 2nd day air! Finally some resolution!

See, issues like this make me hesitant to upgrade my 942 (bought in Jan/Dec, but I'm not touching that issue) to a 622. I don't want to go a day without being able to access something I'm paying for.

So Kingbiged, are they discounting your subscription for the days that you did not have a working Dish account?

Well, I was down for almost a week. I was told several times that they would credit me for the time lost without service. I'm keeping track of it, but nothing has arrived on my bill yet, since I just activated late last night. Will get back to you all.

The 30 days for a 622 is true, through the sales channels. It's also true if you have a dead other PVR and ask about upgrading. They shouldn't have said that though for your situation. It should have been the 4 days. They keep replacements for just such reasons, and they are refurbished units anyway.

As for the question about whether a 942 owner (or 721 owner) should wait, or upgrade now?

My 721 died today, and the tech suggested that I not get a 622 right now, not just because of the delay, but because "they are like brand new computer models with a new OS. Would you want one?" He said most of the problems are on install, but there are also some things that are not ready for prime time.

I'm waiting for the fall. They gave me a refurbed 721 for $19.95 + shipping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)