622 Difficult to reboot after power failure

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Our neighborhood experienced a "hard" power failure on Tuesday night. No lights blinking, just an immediate total loss of power for about 2 hours. Then it came back up without any fluctuations.

So it was equivalent to pulling the plug while the 622 was running.

Well, it turns out that my 622 didn't like that at all. Last night it took almost 3 hours to get it operational again.

When it first came up, it could not find any of the satellites and only found 1 tuner. I could get the menu up on screen but nothing else. So I tried a front button reset. No change. Then a "pull the plug" reset. This time it ran a switch test which found both tuners, but still had 0 readings on all transponders. Tried running System Info but it failed at 26% complete and reset.

This process repeated over and over again. I eventually did 2 front panel button resets, 4 pull the plug reboots, and multiple power on/off restarts. After all of that I was passing the switch tests, completing diagnostics, completing system info, completing locating the satellites, and downloading the guide. I could navigate the guide, but received no satellite channels. If I selected a channel, I would get a blank screen for about 45-60 seconds, then it would reboot.

Finally I gave up and tried an OTA channel. Which came in fine. Switched back to an E* channel and got a blank screen. So I watched the OTA for about an hour, then I brought the guide back up and changed to an E* channel and it worked perfectly. I had done nothing since the last reboot, which had failed to work, except to watch the OTA channel. Didn't even power off.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
No. Some kind of malfunction that instantaneously cut power to a few thousand homes. There were no flickers or brown-outs during either the loss or restoration of power. Bang, it was black. Two hours later, bang, the lights came on. Night sky was partly cloudy, could see a lot of stars.

I didn't attempt to reboot the 622 until the next evening, about 18 hours after the power came back on. Skies were clear at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)