622 "Dish Pass" problem.

ilkevinli

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
I am trying to set up a Timer for the New York Rangers season. However, after setting up a Dish Pass, I don't see a way to set it to only record the "New" programs. I am missing something ? Is there a better way to set it up ? Thank you.

UNless you have repeats of the New York Rangers game I don't see why it would matter. Just list the title New York Rangers in the information search and it will record the show when it plays.

Yes. They repeat the games throughout the week. I guess there is no way around this. :(

MikeD-C05 said:
UNless you have repeats of the New York Rangers game I don't see why it would matter. Just list the title New York Rangers in the information search and it will record the show when it plays.

I agree with the OP. My wife likes to set movies that she is interested in seeing, even if they are in the theaters now, so they get picked up eventually. We are finding that now when they are picked up, it creates a flood of the same movie. Also, for us, when the DVR has a choice of HBO's, it records the HBO-Latino version first, then HBO-E, then HBO-W, then HBO-HD. It would sure be nice not to have the Spanish version be the default first recording, and the HD version be first! It also burns both tuners by recording HBO-L and HBO-E simultaneously! But ultimately, I'd like to be able to set "new" or "once" and add a "HD" check mark too.

pbrown said:
I agree with the OP. My wife likes to set movies that she is interested in seeing, even if they are in the theaters now, so they get picked up eventually. We are finding that now when they are picked up, it creates a flood of the same movie. Also, for us, when the DVR has a choice of HBO's, it records the HBO-Latino version first, then HBO-E, then HBO-W, then HBO-HD. It would sure be nice not to have the Spanish version be the default first recording, and the HD version be first! It also burns both tuners by recording HBO-L and HBO-E simultaneously! But ultimately, I'd like to be able to set "new" or "once" and add a "HD" check mark too.
Set up a Timer for that kind of stuff, rather then a Dishpass. Timers can be set for only one channel, and also new, once, all, mon-friday, etc.

Timers are much better for things like that, and especially TV series.

You mean like in the 1970's with the old vcr?

I didnt know this was a problem with recording on dish.
Another minus for a possible new dish customer.

What other surprises are there, or limits?

Oh, wait...
Cant you just look at the hbo schedule and select to record that one show?

Surely it wont also record the same show over and over???

So what your saying is you also "could" enter a movie name, and it would record that movie when and if it appears in the listings regardless of channel?

(just wanting the details)

The point is, with a DishPass you can tell it to record somthing that may not appear for 6 months to a year. Obviously if something is on the schedule I can just set a one time timer, but with DishPass you are supposed to be able to put in a title and it will record as soon as it is available. For example, my wife sees a commercial for a movie that is in theaters now that is interesting to her, but not enough to go out to see. She puts in a DishPass for that movie title, and is certain to get it recorded when it eventually appears on a movie channel, even if it is a long time from now, even if she had forgetten that it was a movie she wanted to see. The problem is, she gets it over and over. Isn't that one of the great features of the DishPass?

ilkevinli said:
Yes. They repeat the games throughout the week. I guess there is no way around this.
Try it.... If the guide information is correct and accurate, the receiver will see that it's already recorded the event and will "SKIP" it and mark it as a "duplicate event". It's much better than I realized.... I can tell it to record ALL episodes of Extreme Engineering, which Discovery typically repeats 3-4 times in one day. It will record the first one that comes up after setting the timer, it will tag the following ones, but it will NOT record them.

After having viewed many post regarding the Dish Pass, I think it would be wise for Dish to add a few more options using Dish Pass. There are many shows that are on multiple channels or have multiple air times that Dish Pass could make easier to program, if it had just a few more options. What do you all think about adding an additional option or two to Dish Pass?

What options would you like to see DishSubLA? Maybe we can make a specific list that can be proposed to DISH.

The option to select "NEW" programs only.

lakebum431 said:
What options would you like to see DishSubLA? Maybe we can make a specific list that can be proposed to DISH.

I agree, HD Preference, New shows only option are the two most important new options.

Other things I would like would be:

- Ability to designate a group of channels that the Dish Pass would record from.
- Ability to do more robust searches (i.e. include "Seahawks" exclude "Away")

This is an old post, but a great thread as I just got my 622 and immediately ran into these same problems with Dishpass.

Hopefully they improve things. The # of recorded events feature is nice, but with my locals showing up on 3 different channels, for instance, its a pain even when it does find things.

Having true search criteria such as recording Villanova basketball games "record all timers with VILLANOVA that do not contain WOMEN's" (to record only men's games, for instance).

I was excited to see this Tivo-like feature, but it makes you wonder if the people who programmed it actually use it? It is seriously lacking additional functionality. If there is new info since this October post...certainly point me to it! Thanks!

:up

Bumping again. I am getting mine tomorrow and want to be as familiar as I can. Have there been any software changes to address any of these issues?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)