622 doesn't extend timers

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
Lately Fox has been running Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles about a minute long, but the guide only lists it as running for an hour like usual. So I edited the timer to extend the recording by 2 minutes, just to be safe. But when I looked at the recording schedule, it still only showed an hour. I went back and checked the timer, and it still showed that it was supposed to extend by 2 minutes. So I started to think that maybe it would only apply the change to future instances, not ones that had already been detected and scheduled when I made the change. So I deleted the timer and created a new one, with a 2-minute extension. The schedule still only showed an hour, and when it recorded it, it only recorded an hour. What's going on? I do have another recording scheduled for the same channel the next hour, which I also tried to extend, and it didn't extend either. Luckily Dollhouse didn't run long, and I could see the end of TSCC on the beginning of the Dollhouse recording, but it's the principle of the thing -- why isn't the DVR working as expected? I do have two recordings scheduled for the hour following Dollhouse, neither of them on the same channel as TSCC and Dollhouse, but that shouldn't be cancelling my extension, it should be causing it to pop up the conflict warning and let me choose priorities like it does with any other overlapping timers (which it didn't do when I set the extensions.) Please note that I'm not trying to set it to extend all timers, just specific ones. I tried setting a global extension when I got the DVR two years ago (actually, I think it defaulted to an extension!) but I quickly got rid of that because it did indeed create an overlap nightmare. So I know that extensions used to work, and I'm clueless as to why they aren't working now.

IF you want a show to record over the end time -for certain- you have to use the 5 minute option. If you have two shows recording back to back it will cause the second timer to be skipped . So in many cases I have two shows on the same network that I record back to back like the Grey's Anatomy and Practice , Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters, and they often do not end on time and go on for a minute over . The way I get around the conflict is to pad 60 minutes to the first show at 8:00 so it will catch the second show & I don't miss the endings. But unless you don't have the conflicts and have simultaneous recordings on both sat tuners , 5 minutes padding will catch the ending just fine.

So extending the recording time only does anything if it's set to at least 5 minutes? I thought I saw someone say something about extensions less than 5 minutes being ignored for conflict purposes in another thread, but as I only had one tuner in use for the first two programs I recorded, shouldn't I have got the first one recorded with a 2-minute extension and the second one recorded in its entirety on the other tuner? Also, where is this 5-minute business documented? It's not in the manual and it's not on the help screens.

So extending the recording time only does anything if it's set to at least 5 minutes? I thought I saw someone say something about extensions less than 5 minutes being ignored for conflict purposes in another thread, but as I only had one tuner in use for the first two programs I recorded, shouldn't I have got the first one recorded with a 2-minute extension and the second one recorded in its entirety on the other tuner? Also, where is this 5-minute business documented? It's not in the manual and it's not on the help screens.

The default is to extend by 3 minutes.(and start early by 1 minute) But is skipped if another recording needs the same timer. If you don't use the default, you run the risk of having timers skipped by priority that overlap.

Note the default for sports events is to extend by an hour. Perhaps a good thing, but be careful to check you timers as you may end up skipping other timers that you want. It does this extension for some events that in fact never need it (for example it did this for some Ice skating shows that actually had a fixed time.

Live sports needs the extra time and sometimes more than an hour. Nascar is usually the one that needs it, was 1/2 hour this past Sunday and the Daytona 500 had several rain delays and was 1 1/2 hours and the race did not complete the entire 500 miles. NFL games can be up to 45 minutes over, NBA games maybe 1/2 hour and MLB could end 1 hour early or go 5 hours over. It depends on the sport.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)