622 DPP44 install from hell

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
Started with a 811, a dish pointed at the 110, the 119 and the 148. All working just fine.

Installer came out and put up a dish pointing at the 129, and a DPP 44 switch and a 622 receiver. This was at 4:00 PM. At 9:00 PM he left with only one satallite being recognized after trying two DPP 44 switches and two 622 receivers. At one point the receiver recognized the 148 and the 129, but never again after that one time. Never could get the 110 and the 119 to be recognized. he also changed the LNBs on the 110 and 119, and still no signal.

He will be back tomorrow with another couple of receivers and is thinking he has a bad batch of receivers.

Any ideal what to try next. All new wire from the 129 to the switch. All new wire from the switch to the receiver. New wire from the 110&119 LNBs to the switch. The only old wire is from the 148 to the switch.

The installer, who is a DISH employee is stumped. I asked who he calls next and he said he is the exper and usually does just trouble shooting.

The Tech has been pretty hard working, but still the system is not running. Any idea what to try next.

He has peaked the 119 and 110 repeatedly. the 129 is being recognized and the 148 is still out of the picture with the check switch not recognizing it.

What next??? Any ideas from the experts?

this happened to me and the poor tech was out here along banging his head also and it turned out to be a bad box.

So a receiver swap is what I would say would be the next step.

my is too

this tech is headbanigng and looks like he is going into a depresive state. We tried two different boxes and he will be back tommorrow with two more.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Hook up each 622 one at a time directly to the dish bypassing the DP44, go through the setup at which time it will download the latest software update, once both have received the software update hook everything back up through the DP44 and go back through the setup.

This should correct your problems.

this tech is headbanigng and looks like he is going into a depresive state. We tried two different boxes and he will be back tommorrow with two more.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Short stringers (center conductors), or those just barely making contact will also cause those symptoms.

If the 129 cable is working and always work, check the length of the center conductor going into the jack and then see if the others are the same length or not. A 1/4" past the threads is not too much.

The 622 manual will tell you to take a download, I think by putting a cable directly into Sat-in 2. However, someone else on the forum has previously said the software version shipped with the 622 will recognize the DPP44, so it should still work.

Also, by-passing the DPP44, by using a barrel connector, would probably test this theory, since the barrel connectors will usually work with a very short center conductor.

Not impossible, but kind of hard to believe he has a bad box of receivers, bad box of LNBF's, bad box of switches, and a bad roll of RG-6. :D

first sounds like dish 1000 should be used. if that is not used he should go with a 34 switch the 34 switch is dp not dpp he would have to use dpp lnb so quick fix would be a 34 switch depending your area. I use dish 1000 for 2 duel boxes if you use more than 2 duels, use dp lnb with up to 3 34 switchs giving you 12 outlets

He needs 119/110 for regular programs, 148 for SD locals (Wyoming), and then a 4th bird for the HD channels.

Guess the Dish 1000.2 with the 148 on the side.:eureka

i see. tell dish to put your locals where they should be ON 110.....most of the time its either pointed wrong or bent dish pan.. i dont know much about 148 sd locals. did the installer switch the whole dish out... last time i was "banging my head" it turned out to be a bent pan.

Yesterday morning I had a 148,(single LNB) a 110 and a 119, (LNBs were DPP) and the 811 box, and all were working fine.

Yesterday afternoon the tech added a 129 (Dish 500), a DPP44, a 622, and two individual LNB to my 110/119 dish (also Dish 500)

The 148 (Dish 500) was never touched.

Locals are on the 148 not on the 110 so...... it was never touched

Was told that single dishs would give a better signal than 1000 or 1000.2 but....

Had a great signal before the switch and box change.

Also this install is for ONE 622 and no other receivers. I only own two TVs one HD one SD.

Last edited:
Tech is here now. He replaced the Dish Twin LNB on the 148, checked the length of the wires, and is now replacing the whole dish for the 110/119.

The 110/119 replacement isnot done, but the only sat recognized is the 129. Will update when there is something to update.

As a installer I know this probobly wont work but hey 5plus hours I would try dish1000 with 34 switch dptwin port#1 dpduel"129" port#2 and the wing dish dish300 dpduel port#3 i dont think it will work but ya gatta try everthing cuz if it was not moved or bent ??? i never did like using 44s thanks to 1000 i dont have those problems anymore!!!!!

UPdate: Still have signal from the 129, and now have signal from the 110. Nothing from the 119 or the 148. All dishes except the 148 are new. All LNBs are new. All dishes have been peaked by the tech.

I had to plug coax directly (no separator) to turner1 to get update, after update the check switch showed all the satellites

OK its done. Totally new dish and location for the 110/119, and new single LNBs. Repointed the 148 and put a new single LNB on it.
Left the center wires long on all coax going into the DPP44 switch.

In hindsight the 8 hours it took would have been 4 if there had been nothing on my house. The fact that I was getting good signals before the changes, well I just don't know what to think. All in all a hard working tech, who finally got it right. Hope it all stays working.

44 switch installs are not bad. yes there is more wiring to do, chances are more then one dish to point, more fittings to crimp, etc...

They certainly can't be as bad as cacading two SW64's together. :)

If I had a decent size piece of plywood for everyjob and a basement to put it in, I'd make her look real fancy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts