622 Ethernet jack; features?

Jetlag

Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I connected my 622 via ethernet jack last night and got it hooked up with an IP address on my network and DishCOMM. I did this because I am turning off my home phone and don't want to get charged the extra $5/month from Dish.

I looked through the entire manual, the E* site and did several searches here. It appears that the RJ45 port doesn't have much usefulness yet.

Can anyone provide a list or link to a list of what it's current capabilities are or what E* has planned for it?

Thanks!

That doesn't work yet right?

I have used the ethernet jack to download VOD content during the olympics,

Yeah I found lots of threads, just no definitive list on what it can and cannot be used for. I was hoping there would be one since there is not any mention of it in the 622 manual. I did find DishCOMM (or whatever it was called) on my own once I hooked it up last night, just wasn't very impressed.

I finally am disconnecting my $10/month basic home phone line (back up for my mobile) which I absolutely never use and hooked up the 622 to my network. I was hoping that I might be able to view the content on my ReadyNAS Pro via ethernet but it seems as though the RJ45 port has very limited use except for not having to have a home phone line hooked up to it any longer. I virtually never use PPV since I prefer to watch HD content (with rare exceptions).

Yeah I found lots of threads, just no definitive list on what it can and cannot be used for. I was hoping there would be one since there is not any mention of it in the 622 manual. I did find DishCOMM (or whatever it was called) on my own once I hooked it up last night, just wasn't very impressed.

I finally am disconnecting my $10/month basic home phone line (back up for my mobile) which I absolutely never use and hooked up the 622 to my network. I was hoping that I might be able to view the content on my ReadyNAS Pro via ethernet but it seems as though the RJ45 port has very limited use except for not having to have a home phone line hooked up to it any longer. I virtually never use PPV since I prefer to watch HD content (with rare exceptions).

Apparently you also missed all the threads about Video on Demand as well? Press the DVR button on your remote and select Dish Online. Lots of good stuff in there. Enjoy.

oops, I was wrong. It does respond to 'ping'. My DNS was outdated since I replaced the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)