622 Ethernet Predictions???

HardDriver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
I'm curious to see what most of you believe the new ethernet port on the 622 will be used for? I personally think it will just be another way to order PPV movies. CSR's could also connect to your receiver to diagnose problems or you could pay your bill on-screen.

Really, though, I have a feeling that the port will never be used at all...

I believe E* will eventually offer a true VOD service through the Ethernet connection for those who have some kind of broadband connection and maybe to everyone if they do the joint Wi-Max deal with D*. If E* does a similar VOD service to what cable offers, it will include both PPV and Free with your subscription VOD.

That would be so cool if it worked that way. OF course we would have to sub to the new internet part of Dish 's service and they would have to change the dish to include some kind of adapter part I 'm sure.

Cyclone the mystic's prophecy:

The Ethernet jack on the 622/411 will never ever be made fuctional. Its the eqiv of the DishWire port on the 921.

There may be Ethernet support on some later models to follow though.

No predictions here, but I'd like to be able to use it to remotely access the guide (home network or internet) to setup recordings for things I forgot to setup, for it to be an alternate way of downloading the guide and software updates, and for it to be used in place of the phone line.

It would be nice if you could use the port hook hook two 622 receivers together so that you can access the programming of each hard drive from the other unit. (Sort of like the Voom HDTV receivers were going to allow before they went belly up.)

seandudley said:
It would be nice if you could use the port hook hook two 622 receivers together so that you can access the programming of each hard drive from the other unit. (Sort of like the Voom HDTV receivers were going to allow before they went belly up.)

That's the one that makes the most sense.

For example. you have a 622 and two 211's connected via ethernet. you would then be able to access the recorded programs on the 622 from either of the 211's.. Maybe only between 622's? but why are the 211'a "VIP" recievers?

I hope they do it. It's a lot easier & cheaper than running long DVI/HDMI/Component cables to two or three locations. Or owning two or three 622's

And I know it's possible. I can watch HD shows recorded on my HTPC on any of the other three computers on my network Via Wireless G. (54MBS) so direct wired @ 100 MBS is certaily doable.

Last edited:
Probably a hook-up to the Home Media Portal. One central server for all DVR downloads, streams video to individual receivers around the house. Much like NOHDJunkie proposed. Maybe even eliminate RG cable to the individual receivers.

And, you might want a firewall between your video segment and your internet segment. You don't want all that video traffic clogging up your router.

I haven't seen it address directly so here goes.

"ViP"?

Could it be "Video over IP".

That would be my guess, should Dish "actually" activate the LAN connection. Given that, I agree with the earlier poster believing that the port could be used for spooling content between units and possibly for remote scheduling.

I say again, "if" Dish ever activates it. I was stung once as an early adopter of a Dishwire/USB/NBR 921 to see all three never come to see reality.

Last edited:
IF they are going to go to all the trouble of setting up video over IP for video on demand, they will probably also do something else which could potentially generate a great deal of revenue for them - targeted advertising. With that reserved space on the hard drive, plus real-time data on your viewing habits and some inferred demographic information, they could sell the drop-in spots on cable net programs to targeted advertisers. You may see localized ads, as well as the much asked for local weather info on The Weather Channel, among other things. I don't think that Dish could pull this off alone though. They would likely partner with another company that already has the technology and expertise in place; maybe Google or Yahoo!.

Since E* has a vested interest ($46 million) in a company that makes Slingbox, I would say it would be incorporate those features as a guess. Play video and control the unit over the web.

The 211 will be a client that can directly access all DVR functions on the 622 through the network, kind of like adding a third satellite tuner to the 622. Gigabit ethernet will be necessary to support HD if they even offer it.

I wonder how we're doing so far?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts