622 has name based recording correct?

bub

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
If the 622 does indeed have name based recording, why do they insist on starting 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late AND record sporting events for an additional 60 minutes???

Now, I know you can change the 1 minute early and 3 minute late setting, but it has already gotten old and I've only had the receiver for 1 day!!!

What if you have recordings set for 7pm for 1 hour and 8pm for 1 hour? How does the start early/end early situation get resolved if both recordings have the same priortiy, which is default???

I do like the new guide format, but why does the pause screen icon have to be so freakin HUGE? Don't they know we all have BIG WIDESCREEN TV's? I mean, we are paying a small fortune for HD right? That should give them a small clue.

I wish DN would pay me a couple grand and I would write them an owners manual that makes sense. The owners manual for the 622 is almost worthless. It doesn't even mention, let alone cover properly, 75% of the situations an end user would find themselves in with just casual use of their product.

DN is a perfect example of how a company in a modern capitalistic society can be completely clueless and still make boat loads of money. Can you imagine how much money they would make and how big the company would be if anybody over there had a brain?!? It would be scary, perhaps another Microsoft or something.

Thanks all for the help. I greatly appreciate it,
George

I'm a big fan of Law & Order. On A&E, they always used to start the show 30 seconds before the top of the hour(according to Dish's time on the dvr) This caused it to chop of the first 30 seconds of the show(which I wanted). I like the feature of starting 1 minute early.

huh?

Ok, I UNDERSTAND the concept of starting early and ending late.

My question though, is if the 622 is doing name based recordings, shouldn't that facilitate taping the entire show WITHOUT having to manipulate the start/end times???

If that isn't so, then what's the point?

George

If you want to change the default, set up a individual recording, go into the Options page and change the start early and end late settings to your preference, then highlight the Set as System Default located directly below. Click done. Should take care of that for you.

A "Name" does not tell Dish how long the show is nor the exact start and stop time.

The way Dish DVR's use to work (and some still do) was like a VCR, where you selected a program you wanted to record and a timer for the time that show aired would be saved. So if you had that time set for a weekly recording it would record the same time every week. It would still record that time even if the show was not on, and if the show was a special length show (lets say the show was normally a half hour show but for one week had a one hour special) only the first half hour would be recorded.

With name based recording it works differently.

Lets say your favorite show is "Deal or No Deal" this show is wierd, sometimes its on Mondays and Fridays, other weeks Mondays and Wednesdays while other times it has been on every night. With name based recording it would record them all for you without you telling the DVR that the show is on every night this week. In addition if the show had a 2 hour special the DVR would notice this and record the ful 2 hour should without you needed to adjust the timer.

bub said:
Ok, I UNDERSTAND the concept of starting early and ending late.

My question though, is if the 622 is doing name based recordings, shouldn't that facilitate taping the entire show WITHOUT having to manipulate the start/end times???

If that isn't so, then what's the point?

George

The point is that just because a show is supposed to start at 8:00 p.m. and end at 9:00 p.m., it doesn't always work that way. The name based recording gets its info from the guide, not from some hidden signal from when the show actually airs. Not to worry, if two shows conflict with the padding the 622 will figure it out. Also with sporting events, with the exception of soccer, who knows exactly when the event will be over? The 622 cannot see that the game is over just because another show started after the game. It knows that the game is due to be over in three hours, by padding it 60 minutes you will most likely get the whole game. Even with the padding, if the game went 20 innings and ran for five hours, you would miss the last hour.

Remember that name based recording gets its info from the guide data. So that if CSI which normally airs on Thursday nights, had a show on Tuesday night, the name based (rather than time based) recording would catch it. And if CSI had a special 90 minute show scheduled, name based recording would catch and record it. Name based recording works off the guide and off what is scheduled in the guide. If a sporting event (that you were not recording) ran long and you set the 622 to record 60 minutes, which was set to air at 7:00 p.m., but it actually didn't start until 7:35 p.m., you would lose the last 25 minutes of the show. Name based recording is an improvement over time based recording, but it is not perfect. Find a solution, patent it and sell it to the cable & satellite companies and you could retire.

Lastly, who uses the manuals anyway? You get more useful info here then from any damn manual, that's for sure!

when I was on DTV, their dvr's adjusted for the supersized shows automatically. I didn't have to keep that pad in. It knew that Desperate Housewives ran from 8:00 to 9:01 - that's what the guide reported. Dish's guide for the same show says 8-9. Remove Dish's "pad" and it cuts off the extra minute of the show. Seems to be a feature of the guide data. Give and take I guess.

Can the program guide only do 30 minute increments? A lot of times HBO will start things on 15 minute marks, but the bar in the program guide starts at the 30 minute mark and the time is written in the title of the program. For instance "The Making of The Sopranos" usually starts at X:45 and lasts 15 minutes. Do I have to record from the X:30 for 30 minutes to get it?

Thanks!

ChetK said:
Can the program guide only do 30 minute increments? A lot of times HBO will start things on 15 minute marks, but the bar in the program guide starts at the 30 minute mark and the time is written in the title of the program. For instance "The Making of The Sopranos" usually starts at X:45 and lasts 15 minutes. Do I have to record from the X:30 for 30 minutes to get it?

Thanks!
I'm not 100% sure about that, but I have recorded a ton of movies on the all the channels in the movie packs(HBO, Showtime, etc) and It always records just the movie, not 15 mniutes before, or more then 3 minutes after the show actually ends. I'm sure some of those started or ended on other then the hour or half hour(since I see it in the guide a lot), so if the guide reflects that a move isn't starting until 12:45, I don't think it starts recording until then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts