622 HDCP handshake with HDMI switch

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I am having a problem with a smart HDMI switch and it has been driving me crazy trying to figure out a solution, so hopefully someone can help me here.

Every morning when I first turn on my TV and Yamaha receiver, I don't get any picture through the HDMI input. My HDMI switch is showing the 622 receiver as the active signal, but it is not passing any audio or video. The only way I can get it to show the video is to turn on my blu-ray player, which is connected to the same switch, then turn it back off. When I turn the blu-ray player off, the switch then defaults back to the 622 and everything is fine. This really isn't a big deal for me, but my girlfriend is really annoyed and you know how that goes...

I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the nightly 622 reboot occuring when my Yamaha receiver is turned off. My guess (and I'm not an expert here so my terminology may not be correct) is that there is some sort of HDCP handshake going on with the switch itself, but since the receiver is turned off it can't pass the audio and video and it fails. When I turn the receiver on, it doesn't seem to be re-establishing the handshake until I change the switch inputs away and back to the 622. Does this all make sense and does anyone have any other suggestions so that I can just turn on the TV/receiver in the morning and go, rather than having to mess with turning different inputs on and off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You have a HDMI switch before your Yamaha receiver? Does the receiver only have 1 HDMI input?
Two inputs, but the other is also in use and needs an input to itself.

Change the update time to test your theory.
Menu > 8 > 4
I can reproduce the issue by forcing a reboot on the 622 when my Yamaha receiver is off. If I do the same thing with the Yamaha receiver on, everything works fine.

Have you tried switching the inputs the 622 & Blu-ray use on the switch? Is it passive? If so it may be relying on the 5v feed from whichever input the 62 is connected to for power, so the re-boot causes it to hang.

Have you tried switching the inputs the 622 & Blu-ray use on the switch? Is it passive? If so it may be relying on the 5v feed from whichever input the 62 is connected to for power, so the re-boot causes it to hang.
Yes I have and no luck there. I even added a 5v AC adapter to make sure it wasn't a power issue, but that didn't fix the problem either. If I reboot the 622 with my Yamaha receiver on, everything works fine. It is only when the Yamaha receiver is off (overnight) that I run into problems.