622 HDMI on the fritz...

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Kind of sucks, after 2 years of acting perfectly the HDMI port on my Vip622 is on the fritz. About once a day the screen goes Red, and it requires pulling the plug and then trying it again. Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.

To make sure it wasn't the tv, I switched the HDMI port to the HD DVD, and it works fine, consistently.

Guess, its time to get the 622 replaced. And to archive everything on it to the HDD. Stuck using Component video right now.

Did you try the software reset of the HDMI.

Just because the HD DVD HDMI works does not necessarily mean the problem is the 622, BTW.

If it were the physical failure of the connector, it probably would not respond to unplugging and reconnecting which causes a reset if it is working right.

When my connector failed I could pull the HDMI plug toward the component connectors and it would come back without unplugging.

I will do the HDMI reset. Forgot about it. Weird that this is happening after almost 2 years. Everything has been working fine.

What I was getting was the screen going red. And flickering, and then just turning off (so that the TV was just displaying the signal for NO input). I swapped out HDMI cables, to no effect.

Connected via component now, and to be honest, can't tell a difference.

I cant tell that much of a difference on my Philips 50" DLP between component and HDMI...I am using the HDMI right now, but just started using it last week, I have had the cable since before Christmas last year.

Jim, can I ask you this? What do you mean in your sig about Version "B" VIP622? I got mine right before Christmas, are there two versions of the 622?

I cant tell that much of a difference on my Philips 50" DLP between component and HDMI...I am using the HDMI right now, but just started using it last week, I have had the cable since before Christmas last year.

Jim, can I ask you this? What do you mean in your sig about Version "B" VIP622? I got mine right before Christmas, are there two versions of the 622?

There are several revisions of the 622; based on when it was built.

Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet, but I sure as hell hope the problem is with the receiver and not the set -- as I am hoping to sell this set before I move this summer (its a big old 34" CRT that weighs darn near close to a ton -- ok, not a ton, but it felt like it when I got it 2 years ago. ;) )

There are several revisions of the 622; based on when it was built.

Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet, but I sure as hell hope the problem is with the receiver and not the set -- as I am hoping to sell this set before I move this summer (its a big old 34" CRT that weighs darn near close to a ton -- ok, not a ton, but it felt like it when I got it 2 years ago. ;) )

Wow, that is the first I heard about the 622...never knew that, thanks

you saying that about the weight of your TV reminds me of when my father in law helped me move some TV's around for my aunts dad. We moved this big ole 36" CRT from one room to another, it must have weighed 200 pounds I swear...then we went and picked up a 50" microdisplay that only weighed like 75 pounds..my father in law thought it was gonna weigh more than the CRT so he picked up his end with all his might and about fell over because it was so light.

I am on my 3rd VIP622 and the HDMI is on the way out again. This past Sunday I could not pass 5.1 audio over the HDMI and had to hook up the Optical in order to get sound on HD Channels!!

Does anyone have the VIP722 and does it have the same problems with the HDMI?

Did you lift up on the cable where it goes into the DVR to see if the solder points are coming off? If it goes red or loses sound, go lift up on the cable so it pushes down on the jack and see if that changes the results. If so, the jack is coming off the mainboard and will need to be resoldered. Easy fix. Then ziptie your cable to keep pressure off the jack.

Did you lift up on the cable where it goes into the DVR to see if the solder points are coming off? If it goes red or loses sound, go lift up on the cable so it pushes down on the jack and see if that changes the results. If so, the jack is coming off the mainboard and will need to be resoldered. Easy fix. Then ziptie your cable to keep pressure off the jack.

I'll check that. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts