622 HDMI picture dull compared to component

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
I hooked up my TV today with component video and put the HDMI and Component video in PIP mode on my TV. The Component video is much sharper. I checked all the video settings and they are identical. The Black Enhancement feature is on on both inputs. I really thought I would find the Black Enhancement turned off on the HDMI input but its not. My 622 is setup on 1080i. I have also noticed that my OTA pictures are much sharper than my HDMI pictures when putting these inputs side by side on my TV. Once again video settings are the same. Could I have a bad HDMI Cable or what goes here? The "blacks" are dull on the HDMI compared to component and OTA.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I tried adjusting the video settings but could not get the picture as sharp as with component video or OTA. The HDMI is very watchable just not as sharp.

I hooked up my TV today with component video and put the HDMI and Component video in PIP mode on my TV. The Component video is much sharper. I checked all the video settings and they are identical. The Black Enhancement feature is on on both inputs. I really thought I would find the Black Enhancement turned off on the HDMI input but its not. My 622 is setup on 1080i. I have also noticed that my OTA pictures are much sharper than my HDMI pictures when putting these inputs side by side on my TV. Once again video settings are the same. Could I have a bad HDMI Cable or what goes here? The "blacks" are dull on the HDMI compared to component and OTA.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I tried adjusting the video settings but could not get the picture as sharp as with component video or OTA. The HDMI is very watchable just not as sharp.

I have the same results, except I would say the HDMI pq is washed out more then dull. I have changed settings on my plasma and still can't get it as good as component. Strange thing is that when I watch HD DVDs on HDMI they are very good.

Washed Out

I have the same results, except I would say the HDMI pq is washed out more then dull. I have changed settings on my plasma and still can't get it as good as component. Strange thing is that when I watch HD DVDs on HDMI they are very good.

Washed out is exactly the wording I should have used. I have a Mistubishi RPTV WS-55517. I adjusted and tweaked; The embarrassing thing is I have had my 622 receiver for a year and this is the first time I hooked it up component. I just figured HDMI was better. I had my wife and daughter to give there input and both picked Component over HDMI without hesitation. Well unless someone shows me my error, I now have a empty HDMI connection for my new Upconvert DVD that is in my near future. I was fixing to buy a HDMI switch but may not need to now.:)

I gave it a shot as well. I'd been using the upconvert DVD with the HDMI...looks great. Then when I did a bit of testing looking at the component compared to HDMI with my receiver, the HDMI looked substantially worse. I'd have hoped for better in that respect, but the component still pumps out a respectable image.

Smackman, You might want to consider buying an HD DVD player, that way you have one of the better upconverting players and an HD DVD player.

If your TV has independent brightness/contrast/sharpness/color/temperature controls for each input, you may just need to adjust the laggard some. Use the best but give yourself some time to adjust to a duller, lower temperature (less blue) -- more movie like -- picture, unless you are a vivid-showroom fan.

-Ken

I am thinking of switching back to component as well. I agree that HDMI just looks a little softer. It may be more natural, but I am missing the wow factor and pop.

Plus I am still having image shift issues, but that is my TV's fault.

Last edited:
If I leave my HDMI at the same settings as my optimized component, then the HDMI is washed out. But if I optimize the HDMI input and compare that to my optimized component, the HDMI picture is clearly better - more vibrant colors and a bit sharper - better blacks too, which is probably the reason why I like the colors better.

I used to go back and forth, using one for a couple of weeks and then the other. Just to see which I liked best over extended viewing. I eventually decided that the HDMI was definitely better and have left it there for several months now.

I have the same problem with my 622 and Mitsubishi TV WD-62725, no matter how well I adjust the HDMI input the component input looks much better. I had a crackling sound on HDMI that was really bad with black and white programs, no problem with component, but it seems to have gone away with the software L443, the picture quality got worst with the new software on HDMI.

Component looks a little better than HDMI with my 722 too. There's no discernible difference between component and HDMI with my other two HD sources (cable HD DVR and HD DVD player), so it's not my TV (Sony SXRD).

I'm over on the cable TV side, TWC, switched out my hdmi for component cables a few weeks ago. I definetly notice a more vibrant picture with better color saturation with the component cables.

I would also chime in that IMO component looks better than HDMI / DVI on my Sony 46" RPTV and also on my Olevia 32" LCD. I have obsessed over changing settings for a couple of months and still have to say that the component connection offers an overall better picture.

People always assume HDMI should be better, but I read an interesting article that says that's not necessarily the case:

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?

Excellent article! I enjoyed reading it as the author paints a very good picture of what's happening.

Among other things he states:
Additionally, it's not uncommon to find that the display characteristics of different inputs have been set up differently. Black level, for example, may vary considerably from the digital to the analog inputs, and depending on how sophisticated your setup options on your display are, that may not be an easy thing to recalibrate.

I know that black level can greatly influence the perception of image especially with the thread subject of complaint "washed out"

The best way to determine what processing to use for YOUR system is to test both. But what you determine will not hold true for others.
As a case in point- I did test both on my VIP622 to Dwin TV3e. The HDMI/DVI looks better so I use it. But my processor on the Dwin can adjust for contrast and brightness ( Black level) so I was able to correct for that with the HDMI signal. In addition, with my monitor, the Dwin it is very important to use 720Px1280 as the native resolution is that and it works best for those types of sources. 1080i needs to be converted to that digitally so up close the image has some busy pixels that tend to make it look like everything's in motion even on a still graphic broadcast, but you have to get real close to see that.

On the otherhand, when I use analog component, 720p source, the edges look as if there is a slight cross blur to it and it is not as sharp as the HDMI. This can be seen at viewing distance but under an A/B test with a resolution chart, it shows as a 3 pixel dither, HDMI is sharp 0 pixel dither.

The author's conclusion matches mine-
So, which is better, DVI or component? HDMI or component? The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends. It depends upon your source and display devices, and there's no good way, in principle, to say in advance whether the digital or the analog connection will render a better picture. You may even find, say, that your DVD player looks better through its DVI or HDMI output, while your satellite or cable box looks better through its component output, on the same display. In this case, there's no real substitute for simply plugging it in and giving it a try both ways.

Bottom line do your own testing and get the best picture, but a debate when there are so many variables among our systems, is pointless.

enjoy!

The other thing that makes me wary of HDMI is I remember reading somewhere that it was done in cooperation with the motion picture industry to enforce their copywrite protection methods.

That makes me think more thought may have sent into that aspect than picture/sound quality.

The main thing I've heard in favor of HDMI is convenience...1 cable as opposed to 5. Although I do find the 'less conversion' intriguing...

Now I don't feel so bad about my "antique" 65" RP Mitz not having HDMI or DVI. I get excellent HD PQ with component from my 622. When my 722 finally gets installed Tuesday(???) I'll try both component & HDMI on my Olevia 42" LCD. Thanks for the post!
Ed

Man, I'm glad someone started this thread. I've going nuts with my 211 and trying to adjust the HDMI picture. I've never realized there was a big difference in the black levels on my bedroom TV between component and HDMI. I didn't know because I've been using HDMI but since the last software update, my HDMI has been getting a "snowy screen" so I switched to component.

HDMI looks washed out because the black levels are just not there. I have the same settings in the TV and also in the service menu and component still looks better. So it's not on the 622s but the 211s too, well at least in my case.

I'll be the odd-ball

I have found on my tv (51" hitachi projection tv), that the HDMI works much better from my Dish 211 receiver. I too set both up, and wet back and forth between inputs, finally deciding that the HDMI had better picture quality and better sound than the component connections.

Could it vary based on the type of hdtv you are using? Maybe someone should look into the best connections for LCD, DLP, Plasma, and CRT-HD tv's. It would be a shame to have so many people buy HDMI/DVI connections at $40-$50 each and receive a worse picture. Component cables are much cheaper.

I have found on my tv (51" hitachi projection tv), that the HDMI works much better from my Dish 211 receiver. I too set both up, and wet back and forth between inputs, finally deciding that the HDMI had better picture quality and better sound than the component connections.

Could it vary based on the type of hdtv you are using? Maybe someone should look into the best connections for LCD, DLP, Plasma, and CRT-HD tv's. It would be a shame to have so many people buy HDMI/DVI connections at $40-$50 each and receive a worse picture. Component cables are much cheaper.

It's definitely the TV. But why when you connect a DVD with HDMI it looks better but when you connect a 622 or a 211 it looks washed out in some TVs.

Buy your cables at monoprice and they're all cheap:) No I don't work for them just a very satisfied customer.

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)