622 in dual mode with single input

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
While getting ready for my move, I removed my DPP equipment and replaced it with a DP LNB, losing the ability to use the Separator. I decided to connect up my 622 with only 1 coax, to Input 1, figuring I'd just use the receiver in dual mode outputting to TV1 Only. After a Switch Check, everything was working fine. I backfeed RF to my bedroom (usually in Single mode using the UHF remote), but since I'm now in Dual mode the remote will control TV2 which doesn't have a Sat input; or so I thought.

I tried connecting the Sat coax to input 2 figuring I'd get the desired result, TV2 signal and TV2 remote control. That didn't work too well, the 622 just didn't like signal on only Input 2. So I moved the coax back to Input 1 and went through the check switch (using TV2), and after coming out of the setup, I had a picture on TV2. I found that if I tried TV1, I got the "Sat not found" error. I turned both outputs off, turned TV1 on first, then tried TV2, and got the "Sat not found" error. Turned them both off again, and then TV2 back on and got signal.

I've always known that Input 1 and Input 2 are not directly related to TV1 and TV2, but always figured if only 1 input was working it would only output to TV1, not the first TV turned on. A nice feature as I'll be living in temporary housing for as much as a month.

Miner

Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 are NOT the same as TV 1 and TV 2. you can runa 622 with one input but why bother/ If both inputs work (there si one for each tuner not one for each TV) why not get a separator. If they don't call fora replacement box.

Separators don't work with the '34 switch, and others before "pro." I have cascaded 34s and need to run two coax inputs.

I'm surprised you could get it to work at all. I've been under the impression, and I think it's in the manual, that you MUST have both sat inputs hooked up.

Definitely see if you can rig something to get you two coax lines, or go pro and use a separator. I'd be concerned that even if it more or less worked, it might be doing harm to the box.

Fellas,

That is the interesting thing, it is working fine on a single sat input, I just can't be watching 2 separate channels. I removed my DPP44 switch for the move and it will be shipped with my household goods, so I straightlined the coax from my DP Quad to the living room. My big TV is now in a box so I'm only able to watch TV in the MBR.

My move is a little unusual as I'm moving out of the house my partner and lived in for 2-1/2 years before she passed away. I'm moving my stuff out, the estate is keeping most household items and I'll be here for a few days before heading south. I'll be hand carrying my 622 but everything else is going via moving van and won't be delivered to my new house until the end of July, perhaps a little bit sooner.

Miner

Since you only have one input, then you can only watch one channel.

Put the unit in single mode, not dual mode. That way, the same picture will be output to TV1 and TV2. Since you are are in dual mode now, it is looking to the second tuner for the signal to send to TV2 and it isn't hooked up.

Since you only have one input, then you can only watch one channel.

Put the unit in single mode, not dual mode. That way, the same picture will be output to TV1 and TV2. Since you are are in dual mode now, it is looking to the second tuner for the signal to send to TV2 and it isn't hooked up.

I'm very happy with it in dual mode because when I put it in single mode I have the habit of "swapping" the picture and since the alternate tuner doesn't have an input, it fouls the setup. By putting it into dual mode, I can only watch one channel which if fine. The neat thing is whichever output I select (TV1 or TV2) first is the one that uses Input 1. If I had my living room TV connected, I could watch it w/ TV1 (IR Remote), and then turn it off, move to my bedroom, flip on TV2 (UHF Remote) and watch whatever I want. I just can't do it simultaneously, but since it is just me its cool.

Miner

Sorry I did not see the line that indicated that separators won't work. They definitely work with one input. I had a bad separator and was able to go fora week with only one input.

FWIW when I did it I ran in single mode. But I am not sure it really matters. TV 2 can see whatever TV 1 does even in dual mode. People have a tendency to confuse the two tuners and the two TVs. They a re not directly linked. So when you say TV2 does not have a connection that is not correct---TUNER 2 does not.

But I don't understand why you did this. Why did you have to switch out the DPP equipment before the move? Why can't you just leave all of it where it is and get a new dish installed at the new place? but since this is temporary I think you can live with i9t as is for awhile.

Last edited:
DPP Twins are pretty cheap these days and can often be installed without a re-point. Far and away the best way to go for one or two receivers (assuming you don't need a + dish).

Sorry I did not see the line that indicated that separators won't work. They definitely work with one input. I had a bad separator and was able to go fora week with only one input.

FWIW when I did it I ran in single mode. But I am not sure it really matters. TV 2 can see whatever TV 1 does even in dual mode. People have a tendency to confuse the two tuners and the two TVs. They a re not directly linked. So when you say TV2 does not have a connection that si not correct---TUNER 2 does not.

But I don't understand why you did this. Why did you have to switch out the DPP equipment before the move? Why can't you just leave all of it where it si and get a new dish installed at the new place? but since this is temporary I think you can live with i9t as is for awhile.

I pulled out my DPP equip mainly because of the move and I didn't want to mess with the Dish Mover plan. My move is somewhat temporary as I'll be moving again in about a year. I probably could have left it all in place and been just as happy.

As for the TV1 and TV2 deal, what I found interesting is either TV1 or TV2 will use Input 1, whichever is turned on first. I figured that the software would have defaulted to which ever TV was last on and not assign Input 1 to the first output energized.

Miner

Boba,

Its only been 5 days but all is well right now. Tomorrow I unplug and start driving. I'm not sure when I'll plug back in, probably next Friday for a few days at my parent's, then back onto the road.

Miner

Update..

I'm now in El Paso, hooked up the box and all seems to be working fine still. I haven't changed my account location so it is still trying to view Seattle locals, but other than that it works fine. I scanned for the local El Paso stations and picked them up including some degree of PSIP data. I'll be on the road tomorrow to my final destination of Corpus, but don't know when I'll get it hooked up again. I'll be staying with a friend for a few weeks and he is a cable guy. If I can score a dish, I'll set it up and demo HD to he and his wife.

Miner

Update 2,

I scored a triple LNB DirectV dish and actually got it aimed (119 only) with a single coax to Input 1. Still working fine on a single tuner and now a single sat. I'm hoping to get into my house by next week and have all my personal goods delivered including dishes and switches. Corpus Christi is a DirectV town. Must be 4 or 5 times as many Slimline dishes as 500s.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)