622 Install Nightmare!!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
622 Install Nightmares!!

Let me say that I have never seen such incompetance from Dish in the 8 years that I have been a customer. I am not sure what to do next.

First, I received my 622 on Feb 15th. I called Tech Support that night and they told me that I could hook up my 622 and run it on TV1 until my install on the 21st. Other than turning off my 811 which I had to get them to turn back on on Saturday everything went okay.

Then the install happend. First, Dish's installer showed up at my house at 4:20PM on the 21st without calling me at work. I left both my work number and cell phone # for them to call me so that I could meet them at the house. My mother-in law was there and called me when they showed up. I got there at 4:45 and the installer was standing around confused. I asked what was up and he told me that he did not know what to do?

Now the nightmare starts. On his work order he was supposed to disconnect my 301 and 311 and hook up the 622. He said that he had not brought out a 61.5 antenna or a Dish1000? I told him that first, I already have a 61.5 dish and second, according to the Tech ( I leased the 622 thru Tech Support) that I was not taking any receivers off line and that he was supposed to be installing a DP44 switch. He then told me that he not only did not have a DP44 switch but that he did not have a seperator!! He called his office and was told that they did not have a DP44 switch and did not know when they could get one! He did not know what to do and then I decided to call Dish -- it starts to get worse!!!

I call Tech Support -- tell them what is going on and they check my install and say that yes I should be getting a DP44 switch with the 622 install but that I have to talk to Customer Service in order to get the switch sent either to me or to the installer. When I go to the CSR I am put on hold for about 15 minutes in which they then come back and say that I must talk to Tech Support. I tell them that I would like to talk to a supervisor because Tech Support sent me to them and they HANG UP ON ME!!!

The installer decides to call Dish on His Support Line and they start discussing several differant ways to get this thing hooked up. The fun starts now. My dishes (500 and 61.5) are on top of a hill aproximately 80 feet from my house. It took 3 days to dig a trench when I first moved in in order to bury cable to the house. I originally put 4 cables in but one of them has since died. The installer does not want to dig a trench and drill holes in my brick house because the Tech he is talking to cannot gaurantee him that his dual DP34 switches is gonna work. He wants he to 'TRY IT OUT AND SEE IF IT WORKS'!! He says that he is not gonna do all that to 'see if it works' and that he needs a DP44 switch!

Now I am fumming and I call Dish back and after about 17 minutes on hold from a CSR the CSR comes back and says to me that yes I should be getting a DP44 switch but that he cannot contact the install office so he asks that I call back in about two hours! I say okay and I bid the installer goodbye -- he is very oppologetic and oviously confused. That makes two of us!!

I call back at 8:30 and talk to another CSR and after about 25 minutes on the phone the CSR comes back on and says that she cannot contact their install center nor their Tech Support and that I should call back in a few hours!! O'YEAH , now I am really getting some service!!

I call back at 11:15PM and am on the phone until after Midnight. Same response -- call back in the morning. I am tired -- Dish has beat me down. I will call from work.

I call from work the next morning at 7:30AM and talk to a CSR who has me on hold for about 10 minutes then tells me that she thinks that the local installer is not open yet and to call back after 8:30AM. I wait until 8:15AM and call again and this time I am on the phone for 15 minutes when the CSR comes back on and tells me that she cannot get the local installer to answer the phone. She says that she has to get verification of my botched install in order to move forward. PLEASE -- SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

I get smart (actually I am pretty pissed by now) and I call the installer's office. Yep, they are in and when I give them the information I am told that their Area Supervisor will call my back that afternoon. We are talking about the 22nd here. I give her my cell phone # and ask that he call me on that number and she says okay.

Now I call Dish back and go thru Tech Support. I tell them everything that has gone down including the fact that the local installer is in and answering the phone. The Tech tries to call than transfers me to a Advance Tech. We go back thru the story and the Tech appologizes and tries to call the local installer one more time. I am on hold for 45 minutes!! while the Advance Tech tries to resolve this and finally comes up with a new install of April 4th so that I can get the DP44 switch. Almost 2 months!!! I then protest, I state that I already have the 622 and am using it on TV1. That the install on the 21st was for a DP44 and that everyone that I have talked to verified this even to the installer on site. I also say that waiting almost 2 months is rediculous as the installer has already told me that if Dish will send the DP44 switch to either me or the installer that they will come out THAT DAY an do the install!! I want to know what the heck is going on?

I am put on hold again while the Advance Tech has a conversation with his supervisor. He comes back on and says that his supervisor agrees and that they want the Area Supervisor to talk to me and that he will contact me at home. I try to give them my work # and cell phone but they cannot add info on the orginal work order. I settle for my mother-in-law redirecting the call. I then ask for a pass on the DVR fee untill they get the 622 installed correctly and he agrees and passes me on to a CSR who proceeds to give me two months free HD. A savings of $38. All I have to do now is wait for the call from the Area Supervisor and get this straighten out. The time is now 10:22AM!!

Hey, guess what? NO CALL. Not from anyone. I have no idea what to do now. I am at my witts end. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Last edited:
No advice, other than "join the club". It really seems like the CSRs who took the original orders really did not know what was going on - mine didn't even include another dish in the original work order, which was the whole reason for the work order. Dish's incompetence and unwillingness to help those of us who got screwed over is really unmatched.

Wow... well why dont we change the topic of the thread to install nightmares?

My orginial CSR from India on 2/1 charged my card but never ordered the 622. My orginial install date was 2/21.

I call in thursday before install to the HD Tech support line asking for a tracking number. They said the installer would bring the 622.

By this time I had several emails through the week into the Executive Office.

Friday before the install I get a buzz from the executive office saying sorry but the orginial CSR didnt actually order a 622 for me. She said she would ship one out and move the install date back one week. Great!

Not so Great!

Thursday I call in to the HD Tech support line again looking for a tracking number...they call over to the Executive Office who says they never shipped one but will expedite one out. Install date moved to 4\2.

Here is where it gets good.

I leave Thursday and when I get home I have a UPS sticker on my door. What do you know its a 17lb package coming from CO. Its a 622. Will be delieverd Friday.

Friday I wait on UPS to find out they didnt put the 622 on the truck Friday and will try to deliever it Monday.

What a freakin mess. Now I have to try to get this install date moved up.

The worst part is that if they would just ship me a Dish 1000 and a DPP44 switch and a couple of splitters I can do the work myself. When I got a 721 they shipped me a DP Quad and I installed it and ran the lines. I even installed the dish myself when I moved here orginially.

Guess my day will get even more enjoyable when the installer arrives.

You know, it wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't refuse to activate the receivers on top of everything else. Its bad enough that they completely screw up the order, but then don't even make an effort to make things right by activating the receiver so we can at least get some use out of our $300 paperweights.

By the way - Is the email address for the "Executive Office" publicly available? I'm having 0 success with the normal email address and regular CSRs, and don't know what to do next.

And just think, Dish Networks CSR's go through an "intensive" five weeks of training before taking our calls.

When I ordered my HDTV in a box back in Feb. 2004 I too was charged the $999 for everything, and on the day of the install (on a Monday two weeks after ordering) I got a call saying "they were out of the 811's and it would be another month" after getting a call just two days before this verifing the install date and time from the installer. Now that was the installer, but the installer nor Dish had the balls to tell me they were low on 811's, until the day of my install. I too sent an e-mail to executive offices, and by the following Monday (exactly one week after my original install date) my system was installed.

I guess threatening Dish with leaving and going "elsewhere" got them to move on this fast. I mean it went from "it will be at least April 1st" to being installed on March 8th is a big difference.

Man sorry to hear about that mess. I am starting to think a lot of you guys should just purchase the DPP44, since E* has dropped the ball on supplying the installers with them. Granted who wants to pay, but there seems to be a lot of installs being delayed due to the E*'s ineffectiveness of keeping DPP44's stocked with installers. Good luck with that nightmare, I hope it all works out in the end for you.

JoeSp,

I just had my 622 installed over the weekend and I also encountered problems that were all directly or indirectly related to a DPP44 Switch.

In fact, my problems started the minute the installer first came inside my house. One of the first things the installer told me was "We just had a one hour meeting and Dish is not providing the DPP44 Switches any longer (even though it’s on the work order). In fact, there are not any 44's in Dallas." Thankfully, I had read this thread already and I knew to pick up the phone to call Dish. After calling Dish over the installer's insistence that Dish would not help me, Dish fairly easily agreed to send me the switch. At this point something interesting occurred, the installer all of sudden remembered there might be a switch at the warehouse after all.

However, if I had not read this thread beforehand, I would probably have made some bad decisions and had a cable running through my brick wall.

Thanks JoeSp for sharing your experience so I was prepared!!

we can't get dpp44 switches that much any more. Too many installers were putting them in when they weren't needed. we were told that we have to use 34 switches. I always try to carry a little bit of everything on my van even if I don't need the receivers I carry extras.

The turnover rate for a CSRs is high.

"we can't get dpp44 switches that much any more. Too many installers were putting them in when they weren't needed. we were told that we have to use 34 switches. I always try to carry a little bit of everything on my van even if I don't need the receivers I carry extras."

I see why there are shortages of DDP44's, I have gone on serveral service calls in my area and I am finding DPP44's installed on superdishes with only 110/119/105. why would you waste a DPP44 on a install that a DP34 will work especially when there is such a shortage on the DPP44? This was a Dish install and not a local installer.

My installer showed up and I knew it was going to be interesting.

Some of the things he told me:

* You'll have to run the antenna cable straight to the TV, the 622 doesn't have an OTA tuner.

I convinced him otherwise.

* The OTA channels won't show up in the guide.

Strike two.

* Tried to explain in great detail why he needed to have a diplexer connected to the Sat2 input and the TV 2 output.

:confused: I had to show him how to hook it up. Strike three.

* Had no clue how to get the signal from my living room and the 622 to the TV in my bedroom.

I had to drop the cable down the wall and hook it up myself while he watched.

Some direct quotes from me during the install:

"That makes absolutely no sense."

"Explain to me again how a diplexer works with an output and an input going into the diplexers inputs?"

"Yes, it will work if you do it that way. Trust me."

It was almost comical. I feel badly for his next 622 installee. Hopefully he learned something from mine.

ISFCasey said:
Some direct quotes from me during the install:

"That makes absolutely no sense."

"Explain to me again how a diplexer works with an output and an input going into the diplexers inputs?"

"Yes, it will work if you do it that way. Trust me."
I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or sigh in despair. The "free install" mentality has certainly contributed to the dumbing down of the professional installers. You get what you pay for (D* and E* should be ashamed of themselves).